John Symonds opinion of '09 Paper (1 Viewer)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how up-to-date the exam is.
Much of what is covered had to be learnt “the hard way” once you were already in business back when I last took an exam.
The range of topics requires a high standard of business knowledge - dealing with international business, for example.
Relevance to the current economic environment is demonstrated by the importance placed on industrial relations and staff, particularly in the context of managing change in a downturn.
Key points
- The topics covered show clearly the maturity of the syllabus (exports and international expansion and social responsibility, for example) and cover all of the major disciplines across finance, marketing, international, industrial relations, legal.
- The level of knowledge required by students to prepare for this exam – before they even begin their business careers – shows how much more complex the business landscape has become.
- It is encouraging that the questions are practical and implementation-focused (rather than theoretical), so that they can be applied to the workplace readily (grassroots industrial relations and looking for efficiencies, for example).
- The consistent international and export focus is a strong reflection of Australia's growing role in the world economy.
- Many of the questions demonstrate the importance in business of making informed decisions (through evaluation and analysis).
- The "open" questions require a knowledge of business disciplines such as report-writing but also value the importance of entrepreneurial thinking and ideas to achieve success
In summary, I think the exam questions are very up-to-date and cover a number of very important areas of business.

Exam relevant for our business times

Your opinion???

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
The paper did not focus on the economic downturn, there was very little global.

I don't know what he means by this..

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
I was expecting more on Global Business and Financial Management. There was very little of this. There were only 2 questions in the whole test that was ratio-based, while the the only other part was the extended response on Financial Planning Cycle and the Financial Objectives.

I was for certain that Global Business would be asked in the report or the extended respone, instead, marketing? Which is pretty easy to bluff a 10/20 at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)