Job prospects with Commerce/ Law (1 Viewer)

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Hey,

I seriously considering on taking the commerce/ law degree at UNSW or USyd.

What kind of jobs can I get and how 'good' are my job prospects if I'm thinking of going into finance (e.g. investment banking) with this double degree?

Thanks
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rubin

HSC
Hey,

What kind of jobs can I get and how 'good' are my job prospects if I'm thinking of going into finance (e.g. investment banking) with this double degree?

Thanks
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Probably best to get a careers guide.

Law degree ---- lawyer
Commerce degree ---- depends on ur major, but many options.

Your job prospects will depend on ur marks and other experiences. Investment banks obviously look for people with an interest in finance ie. finance major, but also take on high achievers who arnt finance majors.

Oliver04

HSC
Oh wow, an 18 year-old with a passion for investment banking.

Excuse me while I'm skeptical...

dste6

HSC
You should give this thread a read:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/331/law/214592/juris-doctor-jd-vs-llb.html

It touches on issues of career pathways, particularly what it takes to be an investment banker, and also some advice on how you should approach choosing your eduction path.

My opinion is that you don't really need Law to become an investment banker. You would be spending a lot of time and effort on something that, while may be beneficial in abstract, is not entirely relevant to your goal.

EDIT: I can add, that if that's the direction you want to go, it may be more beneficial if you did a Comm/Mathematics degree. It's becoming more valued in market finance and trading areas.

Last edited:

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Thanks
Besides going into investment banking and not continuing with your legal career, you could contemplate about an Accounting major whilst majoring in corporate law. Taxation is a subject where Commerce and Law overlap however make sure you think carefully about where your interests lie in your first year. Don't rush into things, and choose what YOU want to do; and not what your parents want you to do. After all it is your life and you don't want to be working in an industry which you absolutely hate.

Also UNSW/USYD. Personally I'd say UNSW as some of my friends are struggling with law at USYD (and I'm at UNSW :p), but yeah... that's just my thoughts :)

Good luck with your decision and future path.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Yeah, thanks for the advice guys. I just mentioned IB because there seems to be much hype about it in terms of salary etc.

However, I've decided to take a big 4 cadetship instead and further consider my options in finance/ accounting/ law in my first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)