Japanese + Italian Beginners (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Has anybody here studied two languages (inc. Jap) for the HSC (or prelim). I'm definitely doing Japanese Continuers next year in Yr11, however i've accelerated a year, which means I will have two free units in Year 12. I'm thinking of taking up a beginners language (Italian).

However, some people have told me that two languages can burn you out, and that the conflicting grammar from Asian and European languages can get nasty. And if I choose to carry the beginners language through to year 12 I will be doing Japanese Extension at the same time. But I would've already finished the Continuers course.

So, anyone have any personal experiences with doing two languages? Would there be any 'scaling' downsides of doing two? Or any other cons/pros I should know of?

What do you think?

lala2

Banned
HSC
My friend is currently doing Japanese Continuers/Extension and Italian Beginners (I think?) She definitely did the two in Year 11, seemed to be ok about it but then again she's aiming to ace her Japanese and commerce subjects so her priorities may be different to yours. But you seem to have a knack for learning languages, so you should be fine. As for the scaling, Japanese Continuers and Extension scale good, and Italian Beginners I think is neutral, or thereabouts.

wootwt

HSC
I'm in the same situation too!! * i guess?* I will definately taking German Continuers/extension later next year (yr 11) and picking up Japanese beginners at Open High school.

James747

HSC
LottoX said:
Beginners is a lot of work. I would say it's more than the work needed for Continuers.
o_O? I thought it was the other way round.... =S

Oritsuro

HSC
James747 said:
o_O? I thought it was the other way round.... =S
Well I think by the end of the beginners course you'll be at the same point as the end of the Preliminary continuers course so you're basically doing yr9,10,11 over the course of yr11+12.

dongypro

HSC
friend of mine does jap2u/ jap extension and italian beginners..

beginners scales crap but if u like studying langugaes.. its the way to go

it sure beats 4u maths :)

but not scaling wise lol

nandayo

ismist
HSC
dongypro said:
friend of mine does jap2u/ jap extension and italian beginners..

beginners scales crap but if u like studying langugaes.. its the way to go

it sure beats 4u maths :)

but not scaling wise lol
I thought it was neutral? And wouldn't extension relieve any negative scaling IF you did well? But yeah, pretty sure it has a scaled mean of..26-28. So above the 25 mark.

sxcnerdgirl

Aussie Aussie Aussie
HSC
Hey...
I do Japanese continuers and italian beginners! It definitly is hard.. i do japanese through open high school which makes it harder... but i would definitley recommend it! learning languages is the best! Sure sometimes i got to say Si instead of Hai but you get over it! I guess its just when it comes to speaking exams and stuff you just have to learn to get into the mind set of the language you need to speak in... and italian is the easiest... its practically english... i say go for it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)