• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Japanese Extension (1 Viewer)

rainnwind

HSC
To students who are doing Japanese Extension:
what additional/ supporting text(s) do you use when doing language analysis?

& a quick question...
湯婆婆:これから来るお客を、大湯で世話するんだよ。
Yubaba: korekara kuru okyaku wo, ooyu de sewa suru-n-da-yo. [extract 3 section 3]
'cause all our teacher said was that 'ん' & 'よ' are "emphasis" but she didn't explain their effects... i don't want to just make up some random effects i assume it's right but in fact not when doing an exam...

Thanks.

Last edited:

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I thought they were just emphatic and removing a degree of politeness from the expression..

But I'm doing beginners so don't take my word for it. Did I get the trans right?

Yubaba: Show this customer that's coming now to the big bath!

rainnwind

HSC
I thought they were just emphatic and removing a degree of politeness from the expression..

But I'm doing beginners so don't take my word for it. Did I get the trans right?

Yubaba: Show this customer that's coming now to the big bath!
sewa suru> to take care of
i want you to look after the guest who's coming in the big bath...

the problem is... in class she only mentioned about 'emphasis', but when we do the analysis questions... she would come up with lines of explanation in relation to those "language features"... =.=

i went to kinokuniya to have a look at the grammar related texts [e.g. japanese-english grammar dictionary which seems to be the only eng-jap they have]... the bks are rather expensive [$66-110au] so i'm wondering if there is any recommendations..?

chinese-japanese ones are cheaper but a bit time-consuming if i'm to translate it for my friends...

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
In terms of dictionaries, Furigana is excellent. There are many forms of it, so look out :)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
As for the N, I'm pretty sure it's short for NO.

EG:

何をしたのですか。 -> 何をしたんですか

NANI WO SHITA NO DESU KA. -> NANI WO SHITA N' DESU KA.

As for what emphasis it places, I honestly don't know it, and if I did, I probably couldn't explain it.

bineal

HSC
"nani o shita no desu ka" doesn't make sense to me.. i got taught 'no' used in that circumstance is specifically for impolite form, so adding a 'desu ka' would counter that.

and as for n-da-yo, i've seen it used before where the sentence was:

"taberundayo"

and the translation was "you WILL eat it" (impolite). so i guess it's and emphasis of yubaba's power over chihiro, because she's allowed to so strongly demand her to do things.

hope that helps =]

rainnwind

HSC
minasan ga otetsudai shite kurete arigatou

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)