• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Japanese Exchange~ (1 Viewer)

Jenny852

HSC
AcStyle* said:
So do u kno where in Japan u'd b going to?
um..i thnk my teacher said its near HIROSHIMA or sthg..not sure..i'll ask her again*^__^*

Jenny852

HSC
haha~ yeah prob..hope its gonna be good!!*^___^* anyone else goin on exchange this year....?????????

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
Jenny852 said:
wow~ really ??jap for 10 mths..haha~ ur jap must've improved so much~! frodo u study jap in uni?? which uni?? i wanna study jap in uni too...in uts( int'l studies)..haha~
sorry i haven't replied sooner. my japanese improved a lot but i had a year between hsc japanese and uni so i've lost quite a bit, even though usyd has put me in the adv reading course :( ah well. i'm at usyd doing comm/arts, currently studying japanese, mandarin, accounting and microeconomics

good luck with your exchange and everything (i think it's you...not sure)

Jenny852

HSC
frodo said:
sorry i haven't replied sooner. my japanese improved a lot but i had a year between hsc japanese and uni so i've lost quite a bit, even though usyd has put me in the adv reading course :( ah well. i'm at usyd doing comm/arts, currently studying japanese, mandarin, accounting and microeconomics

good luck with your exchange and everything (i think it's you...not sure)

haha~ yes it is me goin on excahnge and thx for ur good luck~ i'll need it*^_^*
nywayz...haha~ wow..i think out of ur subjjects jap must be da best one~ lol~ well to me at least..r u mandarin?? or cantonese?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
im malaysian chinese, i moved here when i was one so i can't speak any other languages besides english. i'm learning chinese now to hopefully help me in the future and because my grandparents want me to hehe. also i have no idea what i want to do in the future so yeah...

Jenny852

HSC
haha~ then u should try ur best to learn chinese~!*^__^* good luck~! but mandrin shouldnt be too hard if ur half chinese..hehe~ yeah nywayz...i'm goin to jap through IESA ..did any one go through their org???

nywayz...jap half yearly was today~! how did u go holy priest??i stuffed da speakin....which role play did u choose??? da freaken wind was pissin me off so badly~! couldnt think>.<

nywayz..hope all of u dat jad examz did well~!*^___^*

Jenny852

HSC
I heard dat if u make it on a scholarship as an exchange student you get pocket money~~ every week~~*^__^* haha~ is dat true??? anyone gone to japan for studies on scholarship??? apparently my teacher says its not dat hard~~

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
a friend of mine went to japan on the tomen scholarship. there's another one called the Monbusho scholarship. i'm pretty sure they had pocket money and trips paid for.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
That Monbusho scholarship is offered by the Japanese government...apparently they offer only 5 for the whole of Australia.

There's quite a lot of work involved in getting it...u gotta do exams (maths, world history, etc), interviews, etc. But if u do get it, its really worth it cos the Jap gov will pay all ur expenses to attend uni in Japan. Ur first yr will be just intensive Japanese to get u up to speed w/ the locals, then aftr that u start ur degree...

Jenny852

HSC
lol~ these scholarshipz doesn't sound as easy as my teacher said....haha~ o well..~ i'm gonna ask her nywayz..*^_^*

Jenny852

HSC
For ppl dat have been on exchange...
has anyone been with AIIU..ISEA...or FACE?? those are the onez my teacher gave me...and i'm not sure abt which one....needa get my applicationz in quick~! so if there are any other organisationz plz inform me~! thx~!*^__________^*

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
our school has Japanese students over everyyear for the last 3 years and i have learnt so much of them. Yeah more pppl doin jap throught the OHS. I want to go on exchange but i haven't been told about one could you please inform me of this exchange please. ありがとうございいます。
ばいばい。

P

pLuvia

I did mine through LABO and my teacher helped me contact them it went for three weeks, I did it around christmas of last year. It was a homestay program and was really enjoyable. Ask your teacher about this organisation or there are others like AIIU (I think that's the name)

BlackDragon

HSC
Jenny852 said:
Hello pplz....anyone going on ( or been on) Japanese exchange??? I want some ideas of wat it'll be like coz there's one at the end of the year...anyone interested i can also give you guyz some info coz i got it...but has anyone been there?? I mean i've been to Japan once ( stopover only :'( ) so..i really wanna no wat ppl r like over there and how life really is...anyone going at the end of this year too??
yes i have. i was meant to go for a whole year but end up only being just over two months. long story. i'll give you the short version - i want to japan, was scared and excited. my family spoke english pretty well, but they were very strict and i had trouble communicating at home and school (in japanese) and hence it was hard to make friends. (thats the first thing, for the first few months it hard to communicate well and you get big culture shock). two weeks into the exchange i wasn't having a great time, my family and my absolutely psycho bitchy host sister kept on getting angry at me for doing this, or that, or not speaking enough, or not waving etc. and in a p.e. lesson at school I got tripped while playing soccer and fell on my hand. it hurt so bad it was not funny, but my family said that they didn't think it was broken and wouldn't take me to the doctor if it hurt less the next day. it hurt less the next day. after two more weeks of missing home and a really mean host sister and a few fights with my host family, i fell on my hand again and it absolutely hurt amazing bad. (even though it had been hurting for the past two weeks anyway). so they took me to the doctor and my scaphoid (a bone in my hand) had been broken for two weeks. they put a massive caste on me and wanted me to stay in japan for the rest of the year. but i needed to have surgery so eventually i came back to australia (to my family's disguist) 10 months early and then had surgery. now i have a big scar on my hand.

and my conclusion? it was the best two months of my life. i experienced so much over there and it was so amazing. everything was - missing home like hell, having fights with my evil japanese host sister because she would not stop yelling at me, waking up at 6 am every day to ride to the train and to take the train to school, experiencing japanese food (i ate alot), obento, airports martial arts (judo and kendo), japanese school, japanese toilets, going to Kobe, culture shock - everything. it was the best. there was this one weekend, where the principle of the school (who was a great and kind man who spoke ok english) heard that my host parents weren't treating me so well so he took me and marcus (another exchange student who was at the same school (from aus)), to kyoto for the day. it was the most amazing day of my life. going to shinto temples, kinkakuji, buddist temples, the whole thing. it was amazing. we had lunch at this ramen restaurant and it was the best meal i have ever had. on the basis of this excursion and this exchange i am going to do japanese at uni and take up prac teaching in japan when i finish my degree. and i promised myself i would go back to japan, go to kyoto and find that exact same ramen bar and have that amazing meal once again. i was there over new years so i also got to experience the that whole custom too.

fuck, that was the time of my life. i realised i was more japanese than australian in those two months of hell, yet heaven. and i took so many photos its not funny. photos of EVERYTHING, everyday. great memories.

TAKE AN EXCHANGE. even you hate it at the time it'll be the best, most amazing thing you have ever done. although i didn't have a great time alot of the time there, it was the most amazing thing ever. i never regret it, i only wish i had chosen to stay there for 10 more months. even though i never would have at the time.

guess that was the long version after all. can't wait to go back to japan.

SHIKOKU FOREVER :D

p.s. the exchange was 100% (bar spending money) sponsered by a government funded organisation. although, they wanted to charge me the full price when i said i wanted to leave early. the fact that i had broken my hand and needed surgery was the loophole that got me home and out of the binding contract, even though it could have happened in nihon.

Last edited:

cooldods

HSC
lol, srry that your trip was cut short but I know what u mean about having a great experience no matter what happens.

I was over there for 3 months, for the first two i was with a weird family, only the host mother and a 22 yr old host brother who never came home. I was moved out after two months because my local co-ordinators (the ppl who work for the exchange company) declared her not mentally stable enough to look after kids anymore. Anyway she was sick and it was a long story...

BUT that being said ive never had a better 3 months in my entire life. I had no idea what was going on a lot of the time in school cause i went at the end of year 10 (and my jap was pretty crap lol) but it was fun anyway, and i mean just to be able to walk around tokyo or yokohama (tokyos better) or to get lost in shinjuku station, there's no experience like it. If you get the chance to go on exchange TAKE IT. lol

BlackDragon

HSC
cooldods said:
and i mean just to be able to walk around tokyo or yokohama (tokyos better) or to get lost in shinjuku station, there's no experience like it. If you get the chance to go on exchange TAKE IT. lol
lol yes. once i got on the train at about 7 pm from school which was meant to take me home. but i hopped on and it went the wrong way. i freaked out a bit but then found a train schedule and managed to find a train back going the right away about an hour and a half later. pretty freaky though!
but it was great!

chochang

*Arashi*
HSC
It is absolutley the best experience ever! I went over to Japan with my school late last year and it was so cool just to get to know more in depth about their culture!
I travelled around Japan for one week- and went to Kyoto, Tokyo, Hirshima, Nara.. I really had a blast and cant wait to go again!
Yes although the train ride in metropolitan Tokyo is a bit intimidating and scary at times, I think it made get to know more about daily Japanese life!
I also stayed a week with a Japanese family. I learnt so much from them! :)
I miss Japan very much..
And hopefully I'll get to go again very soon. :)

HSC
everyones like that when they go lol. i was one of the few in my class who couldn't exactly afford to and the rest of my class were still talking about it for weeks and months afterward.

i wana go to japan :/

selina.harlum

HSC
:) Im going to Japan in December!!!! IM SO XCITED!!!!!
Im going with Lions for 6 weeks, im not sure where ill be staying, perhaps Osaka and Tokyo. Ive been doing Japanese since year 8, n Ive wanted to go ever since then.
Its gonna be awesome, because my HSC will be over too!

YaY!! YaY!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)