Japanese continuers speaking (1 Viewer)

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Hey,
I'm really concerned about my speaking abilities atm. I can listen pretty well but when it comes to speaking the most basic shit comes out of my mouth. How can I improve on this? Should i get a tutor?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
I am doing German right now, and i used to be really worried about my speaking abilities as well. I wanted to get a native german speaking tutor to just practise talking with, but unfortunately there were none at the time. So, i got a uni student learning German. Sadly he didnt speak with that much ease, so it didn't quite help that much. I think that maybe if i had found a native speaker it would've been much different.

What really did help was going on exchange. There, i talked in the language constantly for 8 weeks. Now, i talk with SO much more confidence and ease. I'm not suggesting that you have to go on exchange to get better, but just that you need to constantly talk in the language (to youself or your fellow jap students) to practise. If you make mistakes that's ok, no one will judge you, you're still learning. Also, another benefit is that i have a whole bunch of German contacts with whom i can skype and chat with. I suggest that you can try and get a penpal (through the school? online?) and talk to them as much as you can! Skype and whatsapp are amazing for this.

To improve the complexity of your speaking, a native tutor could help. Also, try, for example, every week, focusing on a more complex grammar stucture (or whatever else makes your speaking more interesting/complex, i dont do jap) and create/write down some sentences using it. Then say these out loud, changing different elements of the sentences.Do this everyday - doesnt have to be for a long time - and try making up new ones as you progress, without relying on your pre-created sentences. Then try to link the complex grammar sentence structure you focused on last week with what you worked on this week etc, until you get a nice reportiore of speaking ability! It helps to talk about a topic too, e.g home, hobbies etc, whatever is in your syllabus

hope that helps!

forelsket

HSC
Make sure you know all your vocab, grammar, etc pretty well, and just keep on practising! Practise by speaking aloud to yourself, or maybe to your friends/family (even if they don't know any Japanese). Get practice by saying just anything in Japanese really, any sentences or even just short phrases. I think the main, most important thing for speaking though is confidence. Even if you stuff it up and say some random bs, it'll sound better if you're confident ;)

heyheyhey3

HSC
Is your teacher/s doing after school speaking sessions? If not, ask if you can practice with them. We have 3 Japanese teachers at my school and I have found a preference for one of them. I have a concern though, i find that i seem to perform better with 'certain' teachers. I don't really think my Japanese teacher is that great, so i went and found a language partner on one of those language partner sites. I have not spoken with him yet though. I think one of the chicks in my class is doing this too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)