Jap Battle: Toyota Vs. Nissan (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
adding to that, buy a copy of ZOOM (magazine) i swear they once had a project car like the one you wantt....

i hope it was ZOOM, otherwise i've been reading HOT4s crap again :(
Haha yeh how could you lower yourself to those levels! I've only ever bought one or two of their magazines - whenever I read them in newsagents I feel heaps unclean. But still cleaner than the dirty skanks they pollute their pages with...

This has inspired me to start a new thread.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i am glad fort he japanese revolution in the motoring industry from mid-century. It made the founded companies wake up and realise that they HAVE to build better cars.

The technology and push for better ideas from honda, nissan, toyota (and lets throw in mazda for good measure :p) created cars today which are far better than what we would've ended up with if the "big three" (ford, GM/holden, chrysler...hahahaha) had've been un-rivaled in such a way....

yes, shit cars

HSC
hmm thats a hard choice, nissan have 350Z, GTiR, skyline but then toyota have the supras, soarers, chasers etc,. Hmm i think i'll go with toyota overall, love the toyota chasers, pity theyre so hard 2 find in australia coz stupid ass toyota australia decided to import the bloody avalon instead

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
Only cheap wine comes in 5 litres.

We don't need much torque... my car weighs ~800kg's

That seems to be every v8 heads response when confronted by a rotary.

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
JimMorrison said:
Only cheap wine comes in 5 litres.

We don't need much torque... my car weighs ~800kg's

That seems to be every v8 heads response when confronted by a rotary.
hahaha...it's daddyk

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
DaddyK said:
rotary's suck, they have very little torque.
In racing, the smooth delivery of power is far more important. Rotary has this in spades.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
011 said:
In racing, the smooth delivery of power is far more important. Rotary has this in spades.
i think i had this convo with someone before :rolleyes:

for racing yes, but we cant race on the roads :eek:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
On the road its even more important you dont have an uncontrollable surge!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
011 said:
On the road its even more important you dont have an uncontrollable surge!
o_0

generally V8s dont have an "uncontrollable surge" as their power is created due to their size and therefore they have torque

rotaries would more likely be the ones with uncontrollable surge (which can be damned fun :eek:) as sooooo many are turboed

either way...i'd take either...i love revs and shreiking engines, but also the deep growl of a V8 :rolleyes: im easy that way :p

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
depends on the size of the electric motor, as it may have instant torque but most motors have instant torque, just not alot :rolleyes:

SlipStream

HSC
Rotaries have their ups and downs, but I'm afraid their most widely agreed "up" is their originality and it is vastly outweighed by its "downs". Otherwise we'd have rotary powered Ferrari's and on the other side of the city, rotary powered Sirions.

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
SlipStream said:
Rotaries have their ups and downs, but I'm afraid their most widely agreed "up" is their originality and it is vastly outweighed by its "downs". Otherwise we'd have rotary powered Ferrari's and on the other side of the city, rotary powered Sirions.
Chevrolet were developing a 4-rotor Corvette but then the 1973 oil crisis hit and everyone was after economy for a while. A lot of other companies have experimented with rotaries, but the oil crisis killed their plans majorly.

You have to conisder that a lot more research and development has gone into the piston engine than the rotary engine.

SlipStream

HSC
JimMorrison said:
Chevrolet were developing a 4-rotor Corvette but then the 1973 oil crisis hit and everyone was after economy for a while. A lot of other companies have experimented with rotaries, but the oil crisis killed their plans majorly.

You have to conisder that a lot more research and development has gone into the piston engine than the rotary engine.
You made no argument other than pointing out a "down" for rotaries and an "up" for conventional internal combustion engines in terms of the piston's dominance over the rotor. :p

高橋 啓介

HSC
SlipStream said:
although i am a really big rotary fan, i guess your right in the end.
If its so good then why not use it?
I guess the fact that piston engines have been around 50 years or so earlier (plz dont' quote me on that one..) than rotaries makes rotary engines poorer than conventional piston engines, due to the amount of research put on piston engines. Also, the fact that factories back then (40's 50's or so...i don't know =S) used piston engines as the conventional engine for their blueprints for most cars, and that RE technology wasn't quite accessible back then further hindered rotary research..

and with the debate "piston engine producing better power than rotary/vice versa", i would say that rotaries produce power in a different way in comparison with piston engines.
Piston engines are overall much more efficient even though they have at least 150 moving parts or so. This is because Piston engines fully utilise the gases while performing internal combustion. By fully utilising, i mean the gases compress from a reasonly large space to an extremely compact space, this provides more torque. Because of this, pistons have a higher compression ratio, thus producing more overall power with the same fuel, from the torque.

Rotaries produce less power, not because they are just shit, but because they have a lower compression ratio, thus having less torque. Less torque, less power.
Rotaries compensate this by revving higher, to produce a better overall power output. But because of the bad compression ratio, it also means that more fuel is consumed, thus decreasing the efficiency.

Yet, rotaries are better in racing because they are more reliable, even if they're working lifespan is short. This is because rotaries only have 3 main moving parts: the engine rotor, the axle and the gears. This causes the smoothness in the rotary engine.
Pistons have con rods, connecting axles, cam shafts etc etc you name it. This makes a rough ride.

yes they have tried to improve both rotaries and piston engines
and yes there are high revving piston engines and high torque rotary engines, but both come with the same price of fuel.

From all this i draw a conclusion that rotaries don't produce better power than piston does/ vice versa, since one produces more power, but in a rougher way; and the other smoother, but in smaller portions.

even so......FD3S KICKS ALL YO ASS ~!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)