Jane Eyre (1 Viewer)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Easy romantic novel, has some great english - emotions personified and described, characters detailed and intricate, great contrasts and descriptions.
nevertheless, the first person is tiresome, and the neverending paragraphs makes one skip pages for the next zenith, which often is chapters away.

A brief sketch (don't read it if you are interested in the storyline, but really the plot is not that interesting, it is rather how Bronte weaves her characters and her articulate command of English) of the autobiography of Jane Eyre, born to parents who are dead. Initially she lives with despicable aunt and cousins, until she is sent to Lowood boarding school for the poor. Survives boarding school 8 yrs, and then becomes a governess for Mr Rochester's ward, Adele. Although plain and ugly, Jane has remarkable wit and a pleasing character, and after multinous twists and turns, the master professes his love. However, Mr Rochester possesses a closeted past, which destroys Jane's wedding day and her love. He is married to a madwoman, who has lived in the house 15 yrs, shut up and cared for by Mrs Poole. The madwoman has tried to burn Rochester and kill her brother. Jane flees, wanders without money or food five days, till she meets up with the Rivers who take her in. She becomes mistress of the school there, and eventually news comes that an uncle of hers has died, she has inherited 20000 pounds, she is cousins to the Rivers, and Mrs Rochester is dead. Jane goes back to Mr Rochester, and although he is blind, she marries him and they live happily ever after.

Summarily, anybody who likes Austen will like this book, which parallels with that authors humour and satiric usage. I very much associate it with Emma, except while that character doesn't travel, Jane does, which makes the novel all the more interesting. Additionally, there is comparability with du Maurier's Rebecca who thought herself plain and who's husband was hiding the truth from the wife, but that is a much more mysterious and entertaining novel.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hated it, hated it, hated it. But that's just my opinion.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I loved it, it's like my 2nd favourite book of all time after Little Women probably

~juju~

well its been a year since i read it (not for study purposes) but i found the plot interesting and appealing (maybe from feminist perspective). overly-descriptive paragraphs are expected from classics but they just add to the mental picture (think thomas hardy).
great book which i'm glad i didnt have to anaylse for the hsc

clerisy

HSC
I'm in love with Rochester (but Ive just realised that I am in love with 99% of all male central characters in books Ive read, so I guess that doesnt really mean much.). However, I couldnt STAND that weasly little Jane Eyre girl... she was just a drip!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)