• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Paj20 said:
accelerated shouldnt happen for some subjects, either all or none.

The HSC isnt really much of a step up from about yr 10, excpet more content to know. If you have good books that stick the syllabus you could do HSC Topics well before yr 12. All students should have this option to make it fair. Otherwise kids are getting to the HSC with two subjects left becuase the subjects they wanted to do were 'accelertated' in previous years. Also when this happens they usually just disregard a whole year of the subject which obviously isnt needed but other people still have to do it when they could be learning HSC content.
yea go write to the bos about it. if you make as much sense as you are making now, they won't even both to read it. hell, i can't even follow.

if you are smart enough to get ahead, why shouldn't you be able to? you shouldn't have to suffer because someone like paj20 is dumbing you down. hence the whole selective school scheme. get it, paj?

my sister and a cousin went to ruse, both graduated with 99+ uai. i really doubt they would have got that if they couldn't get ahead.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I know it was over 2 years ago, but the level of ignorance displayed by the OP and others supporting the claims made makes me concerned for this country's future.

If it is indeed true that the Board of Studies stipulates that schools cannot teach prelim and HSC content before those years, and supposing that James Ruse chose to disobey that stipulation, then fucking good on them. Education should be so much more than guidelines set by some shitty government organisation. I for one believe the 6 years of high school could easily be done in 3 (ok I'll say 4 to be conservative).

I went to a public non-selective school in a country town ranked NOWHERE NEAR the top schools in Sydney. And yet even we learned polynomials (prelim), circle geometry (prelim ext 1) and probability (hsc) in years 9 and 10. Shoot me for it.

Last edited:

SimonLee13

HSC
Rhanoct is obviously screwing around here. He has listed 4u english + ancient and modern history as his subjects.

In Sydney Boys High school, I have about 12 accelerated year 10 students doing geography. They are equally/more competent than the yr 11 students as far as I can tell. They have a genuine interest in the subject and thus do well in it. It also relieves pressure in the HSC if they finish it a year earlier. Actually our school offers several accelerated subjects: Business Studies, Geography, History, Latin+Classical Greek, Chemistry.(for the 1 person who wanted to do it) Sure it gives them the advantage if they choose to do it again the next year (in the past year, most students have kept their accelerated subjects because they do well in the first place)

a year ago i personally saw JR's papers from 7-10 and they make our half yearly/yearly papers look like a joke. I'm willingly to bet that most year 9 students from JR could take my school's yr 10 yearly and do well in it because they covered most of what we did to same extent, in yr 9.

Whats the difference between doing this at school and doing this at a tutoring place? The BoS would probably prefer to ban all tutoring places while its at it which is a near impossibility.

<!-- Added by James for BigBloggers: 18 April 2006 --> <!-- -->

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
you're kidding right? just because he 'listed' 4u english as his subject?

why can't people just type the words out as they are meant to be?

Petyo

HSC
i've seen some papers from an Asian coaching college that my cousins are currently studying at. They're obviously a-year harder than what they're officially doing in school but isn't it cheating or something?...
All of them are going to selective schools anyway.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
Rhanoct is obviously screwing around here. He has listed 4u english + ancient and modern history as his subjects.

In Sydney Boys High school, I have about 12 accelerated year 10 students doing geography. They are equally/more competent than the yr 11 students as far as I can tell. They have a genuine interest in the subject and thus do well in it. It also relieves pressure in the HSC if they finish it a year earlier. Actually our school offers several accelerated subjects: Business Studies, Geography, History, Latin+Classical Greek, Chemistry.(for the 1 person who wanted to do it) Sure it gives them the advantage if they choose to do it again the next year (in the past year, most students have kept their accelerated subjects because they do well in the first place)

a year ago i personally saw JR's papers from 7-10 and they make our half yearly/yearly papers look like a joke. I'm willingly to bet that most year 9 students from JR could take my school's yr 10 yearly and do well in it because they covered most of what we did to same extent, in yr 9.

Whats the difference between doing this at school and doing this at a tutoring place? The BoS would probably prefer to ban all tutoring places while its at it which is a near impossibility.

<!-- Added by James for BigBloggers: 18 April 2006 --><!-- -->
Are you serious? I have got papers myself and they ain't hard (well here, I am referring to Trial HSC or Half-yearly exams).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Petyo said:
i've seen some papers from an Asian coaching college that my cousins are currently studying at. They're obviously a-year harder than what they're officially doing in school but isn't it cheating or something?...
All of them are going to selective schools anyway.
Why is it a cheating? What's wrong with tutoring? They are paying for it and if they think they are worth the money, let them pay and get it. I don't do tutoring either but I know from my experience that tutoring does not always "spoon-feed" someone. It's sometimes like school, if you don't put in effort, you cannot achieve anything. I am also aware of the fact that there are tutors who write essays for them, but if people cannot memorise them off by heart, what use does it have?

To OP: By the way, I don't think JR students are cheaters. It is just that they try harder than most of the people in the state. They are just highly motivated & highly organised and extremely intelligent. :)

Oh yeah, in that context, people can view me as cheaters as I accelerate as well. There are tonnes of accelerants around the State and JR is not the only school.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Why is it a cheating? What's wrong with tutoring? They are paying for it and if they think they are worth the money, let them pay and get it. I don't do tutoring either but I know from my experience that tutoring does not always "spoon-feed" someone. It's sometimes like school, if you don't put in effort, you cannot achieve anything. I am also aware of the fact that there are tutors who write essays for them, but if people cannot memorise them off by heart, what use does it have?
Yeah, having tutoring does not mean that you get spoonfed. You still have to work really hard to achieve top marks.

Zephyrio

HSC
I know a lot of people who go to around 4-5 tutors, and yet they don't get top marks.

It depends on the individual. I'm willing to suggest that most people who do tutoring are forced into it by their parents, and therefore it's not as beneficial as everyone is saying.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
I know a lot of people who go to around 4-5 tutors, and yet they don't get top marks.
Is it even possible to keep up with the workload of 4-5 tutors in addition to school responsibilities?

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
they aint cheating. THey have the ability to do harder work, so let it be like that. These 'smart' kids need to be challenged, so there is nothing wrong with accelerating. I've read somewhere that when gifted kids are not challenged enough in school, their marks get down.

Just dont complain about James Ruse. Its just like complaining that selective schools teach 5.3 maths. I mean, accelerating is nothing. Sometimes my math teacher gets Year 11 textbooks out and teaches harder stuff. She said its to further 'extend us', so that work at school is more challenging and we wont slack off.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Zephyrio said:

It depends on the individual. I'm willing to suggest that most people who do tutoring are forced into it by their parents, and therefore it's not as beneficial as everyone is saying.
thats true. heaps of people go tutoring and it seems as if learning harder stuff doesnt benefit them. So the big idea here is that it is the ability that counts. James Ruse learns harder stuff and they get good marks. Other people learn harder stuff and they get crap marks. If some people do hard work and get crap marks, then they might as well not bother learning harder stuff. Since James Ruse gets good marks with harder stuff, then they might as well continue learning hard stuff.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
nerdsforever said:
they aint cheating. THey have the ability to do harder work, so let it be like that. These 'smart' kids need to be challenged, so there is nothing wrong with accelerating. I've read somewhere that when gifted kids are not challenged enough in school, their marks get down.

Just dont complain about James Ruse. Its just like complaining that selective schools teach 5.3 maths. I mean, accelerating is nothing. Sometimes my math teacher gets Year 11 textbooks out and teaches harder stuff. She said its to further 'extend us', so that work at school is more challenging and we wont slack off.
That's cause Sefton is godly at maths... owing to the demographics. :p

jules.09

HSC
Haha, I guess the debate's about whether or not it is fair that JRAHS gets to 'learn ahead' with its mass accelerant operation.

At my school, they completely prohibit acceleration. Why? It is the firm conviction of the school authorities that we'd screw it up otherwise. And yes, it's one of the oldest selective schools around.

I did read a Sydney Morning Herald article where the principal of JRAHS (former?) encouraged tutoring. At the end of the day, it's the individual and whether they cope or not.

If you have 4-5 tutors, wow, that's not worth it. Drop the subject!

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
jules.09 said:
Haha, I guess the debate's about whether or not it is fair that JRAHS gets to 'learn ahead' with its mass accelerant operation.

At my school, they completely prohibit acceleration. Why? It is the firm conviction of the school authorities that we'd screw it up otherwise. And yes, it's one of the oldest selective schools around.

I did read a Sydney Morning Herald article where the principal of JRAHS (former?) encouraged tutoring. At the end of the day, it's the individual and whether they cope or not.

If you have 4-5 tutors, wow, that's not worth it. Drop the subject!
My cousin told me that their current principal actually says that they don't need to go to turoring. He instead recommended that they participate more in school life ie sport, music etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)