James Cook medicine interview: What to wear? (1 Viewer)

mamb00

HSC
I'm particularly prone to sweating when i'm nervous, so couple that with the heat of Townsville and it's got me pretty apprehensive about wearing a longsleeve business type shirt. So what i'm thinking is;
- White polo shirt (unbranded).
- Black business pants
- Formal black shoes

Is this going to look ridiculous for an interview? I just really don't want to be sweating excessively, and the note said "Smart casual".

Anyone who's had a successful interview with James Cook for medicine, or who has any knowledge to share about attire, your help would be appreciated!

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
May as well repeat this for anyone else:

-If you sweat, go with a dark shirt (black, navy etc) and some lighter coloured pants.
- Dress shoes
- Tie is optional, Townsville is hot as shit. It won't make or break your interview, just make sure you look presentable.

Some people went in full suits and what not, why that may be the case for other university interviews, its really not the case for Townsville.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Nice you got in.
If you remember what I wore to my Adelaide interview I'd suggest something similar.

I'm not sure what the code is for JCU but considering what I read/saw at Adel a polo shirt is a bad idea.

Make sure you wear the jacket, one guy was wearing what I wore minus the jacket and you could see put stains/ sweat, very noticeably on his shirt.

Link:http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/section/interviews-535/

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
I am an experienced interview tutor and I have tutored many students. Don't go smart casual, baby boomers don't understand smart casual. Your interviewers will most likely be 45+ years old. If you wear anything other than professional attire it may influence your interview score. I have spoken to interviewers who have told me their colleagues have failed students just based on student's appearance.

My advice from least extreme to most extreme. Don't wear black shirts ever it's not a funeral or club (Dark navy might be ok but I don't like dark shirts in general). Wear an undershirt, roll up your sleeves. There's sweat pads you can buy which can soak up the sweat. Botox works but that's expensive. Usually, after the first few stations you relax and become less nervous once you get into the groove.

It is better to have sweat patches than to dress inappropriately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)