Jakarta declaration (1 Viewer)

SamQ

HSC
Its been removed from the syllabus for 2010>
What does everything think about studying for it for the exam? I do know it, but I dont think I could answer a 12 mark question on it in relation to a disease, and I dont really have any HPI's ready to justify it..
Do you think the examiners will throw it in as its the last year it is in the syllabus, or just not put it in because it has been removed (obviously due to the bos not believeing it necessary in the pdhpe syllabus)

Thoughts?

SamQ

HSC
I'm hoping we don't do it, can somebody tell me what it actually says!
"The focus question ‘What role does health promotion play in achieving better heath for all Australians’ and its related content have been removed from the syllabus. The Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion retains its prominence in the course as it contains the primary principles on which effective health promotion is based. Study of the Jakarta Declaration is no longer required. The amended syllabus also reduces references to the new public health approach as this approach is best defined through the action areas of the Ottawa Charter. The application of the Ottawa Charter has been reduced from four National Health Priority Areas to two health promotion initiatives."

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
This is the notes i got on Jakarta, i would suggest learning something on it, to my knowledge the syllabus has not been amended this year so it's still in there:

The Jakarta Declaration
The fourth international conference on health promotion was held in Jakarta in 1997. At this conference the Ottawa charter was affirmed by the Jakarta declaration on leading health promotion into the 21st century. It also acknowledged the need to establish additional priorities in order to respond to emerging issues and take health promotion into the next century. The Jakarta declaration emphasised the importance of breaking down the traditional barriers between sectors involved in health. It promoted cooperation between government agencies and between the public and private sector. The involvement in health promotion of private sector agencies operating for profit was a significant new direction and one that was not without controversy.

The five priority areas for health promotion in the 21st century identified in the Jakarta declaration are:
  • promote social responsibility for health- involves the development of policies and practices that avoid harming the health of others, protect the environment and ensure sustainable use of resources, restrict the production and trade of harmful substances and safeguard the individual at work
  • Increase investments for health development- this should be aimed at groups which experience inequities. Increased investment in health, directed appropriately, can enhance the health and quality of life.
  • Consolidate and expand partnerships for health- this is also known as intersectoral collaboration. Health promotion requires the operation of all sectors- in both government and non-government spheres. Strong partnerships, in which expertise and resources are shared, need to be fostered. Eg. RTA/POLIC/MEDIA/SCHOOL à safer drivers, which minimise MVAs among young drivers, which are the group at highest risk.
  • Increase community capacity and empower the individual- health promotion is conducted with the involvement of the people- it is not simply enforced upon them. Leadership skills developed through training, access to resources and practical education are essential in empowering the individual.
  • Secure and infrastructure for health promotion- to fund an infrastructure for health promotion incentive should be developed to influence the actions of government, non-government organisations, educational institution and the private sector to make sure that the resource mobilisation for health promotion is maximised, new health challenges mean that new and diverse networks need to be created to achieve intersectoral collaboration. Such networks should provide mutual assistance within and among countries and facilitate exchange of information on which strategies have proved effective and in which settings. All countries should develop the appropriate political, legal, educational, social and economic environments required it support health promotion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)