I've screwed up physics already (1 Viewer)

anniea89

HSC
Got my physics prac test back- 55%. That is the worst mark I've ever received. I was crying all afternoon. I was going really well and then this. I don't know what happened. I can see my UAI dwindling.

Oh, and my physics teacher taold us he's leaving today.

What an AWESOME day!

pottsy44

HSC
im guessing it wouldnt of been work much, 10%? thats nothing.

anyways its your rank that matters.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Indeed, your rank is what matters, but also, look at how much that assessment task was worth. The first assessment tasks will not be weighted that heavily. So 55% may mean you only get 5/10 in the final mark (which gets moderated anyway).

I would put that task behind you, learn from it and aim for the better marks as you go along. Don't stress now. You'll be an emotional wreck by next October :D

Try and analyse where your weakness lay in the task. Was it the mathematical side, explanations, misunderstanding of content or what? Then focus on that.

I hope you get a new Physics teacher that you can relate to and will help you. Otherwise, we are all here on BoS to help :D

Take care.

anniea89

HSC
Thanks for your advice guys. It just sucks, because I was doing really well all year and even my teacher was shocked.
We sort of went through and it was mainly silly mistakes, or things that I could have done.
It was only worth 15% but still.....
I didn't find out my rank. Probably just as bad.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
just think that you have only done 7.5% (half of 15)of your total HSC (50 for school assessment and 50 for HSC exam). so u hav 92.5% of ur HSC to go. u can still do very well in the end!

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
SoulSearcher said:
Just pick yourself off the ground and focus on doing better in the rest of the assignments. Ranks here matters, not necessarily the mark.
Yeah thats all well and good. But in order to get a higher ranking, you need to get good marks, so how can you say the marks don't really matter? I know it occurs in some instances that you can get a good mark based on your ranking, but as said aboce, you need to get good marks to get a good ranking. By the way, don't worry about it anniea89 , i am pretty sure i did just as bad in my first few assessment tasks.

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Aww, there there. :(

Don't let it destroy your confidence though - if you do much better in later assessments, like you normally do, you'd be able to make up for it :) And anyway, can't do anything about this assessment now, why let it make you feel depressed and affect your later assessments? ;)

anniea89

HSC
Yeah, there's nothing I can do about it now. It's just the disspointment from my parents and my teacher that's making me upset.

Oh well.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
SoulSearcher said:
Never said that. You could get 10% internally and still get first rank. Of course in order to get a better chance of getting high ranks, high marks would help, but is not essential.
Alright...sorry man.

HSC
anniea89 said:
Yeah, there's nothing I can do about it now.
True, so forget about this assessment task, and put your energy into your next ones!
anniea89 said:
It's just the disspointment from my parents and my teacher that's making me upset.
So does that mean you aren't upset, but your parents and teacher are?
In that case, ignore them! Yeah sure, you mightn't have "achieved the marks you're capable of", (according to them?), but its over and done with, and like you said, there's nothing you can do about it now.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
anniea89 said:
Got my physics prac test back- 55%. That is the worst mark I've ever received. I was crying all afternoon. I was going really well and then this. I don't know what happened. I can see my UAI dwindling.

Oh, and my physics teacher taold us he's leaving today.

What an AWESOME day!
I am in the same position minus the crying.
Our physics test was apparently incredibly easy that you could get 100% but I muffed up values and calcuations badly for a third of the questions on the paper :( .. I feel ashamed I could not score full marks for an easy test.

passion89

HSC
You haven't screwed up!
It's only the first assessment - you have many more opportunities to climb ranks and prove yourself. Don't give up - not so early in the game anyway.

I was similar to you with my first assessments of year 12, but I put it behind me and just focused on the next few assessments.

You'll be fine :)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
imo physics is one of the 'trickiest' subjects. i thought i knew everything about physics until i did the assessments. unless you go through everything and find out as much as you can, physics can be kind of confusing.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Dw, like everyone else has said, you`ll catch up =D
I always screw up physics though ..
I ALWAYS get the written questions wrong. I don't know why ... they ask for too much I guess , but then again .. my answers are crappy.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
xclusv2bhung said:
Dw, like everyone else has said, you`ll catch up =D
I always screw up physics though ..
I ALWAYS get the written questions wrong. I don't know why ... they ask for too much I guess , but then again .. my answers are crappy.
The trick to answering the written questions is to know what they are looking for in terms of the keys words.

Once you have that formula you can crack those questions.

ie. Discuss, Compare etc. Get the marking criteria from previous exams and you will see what examiners are expecting for those key words.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
I highly recommend the Excel Physics textbook - while it may not be the most in depth book - i used it (along with the jacaranda physics book) to learn and revise most of the course myself. Our class got itself into the bad habit of bludging around every lesson...

I think having a good knowledge of the syllabus is VERY important. If you learn all the content by doing short summaries for each dot point, youll find in an exam you can identify which dot point(s) each question relates to and youll be able to recall the correct information to answer each question.

Once you know all the content, this is where the key words come in. They are used so you can structure your information and gain marks accordingly. But knowing how to use the key words without having a knowledge of the syllabus is not going to help you much.

This is basically how i went about doing hsc physics, so i hope it can be of some use to you people.

Good luck with everything and all the best for the HSC!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)