• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ITT: rantings about stupid MC questions. Add your own, correct me, argue your point. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
These are some MC questions I disagree with. Feel free to correct me.

Which of the following is an advantage of free trade?
A. a more efficient allocation of resources
B. an increase in short-term unemployment
c. A wider range of goods and services available.
d. Increase in local firms closing down.

the answer is A. But C is also 100% correct.

A is not 'more' correct. If anything C is because there are direct benefits from more consumer choice.
a more efficient allocation of resources with lead to more competitive industries which leads to higher export receipts which leads to higher growth.

Which of the following is most likely to cause a decrease in a nation's debt servicing ratio?

A. Rising global interest rates
B. Rising export levels
C. Falling foreign debt levels
D. Falling global growth rates

The answer is B. But A and C are also correct. Debt servicing ratio is Debt/export revenue.
So whilst B increases increases export rev, A and C lower levels of foreign debt.

What of the following is not an impact on the government as a result of reduction in tariff levels?
A. Reduction in government revenue
B. Reduced likelihood of cutting tax rates
C. Increased spending on job retraining programs
D. Greater voter dissatisfaction with the government.

IMVHO there is no correct answer. However, I put down B which was correct.
A is obviously wrong.
B is wrong because tariffs are a big source of government revenue so the removal of them is likely to reduce the likelihood of a tax cut for households.
C is wrong because the gov needs to deal with the structural unemployment.
D is wrong because the unemployed workers will have a cry.

What is the impact of an appreciation of the Australian dollar on Australia's CAD?

A. increased export sales, decreased CAD
B. Decreased exports sales, decreased CAD
C. Decreased exports sales, increased CAD
D. Increased export sales, increased CAD.

Obviously B or C. The question states impact on AUSTRALIA's CAD. Our CAD is mostly because of our foreign debt. An appreciation makes this debt increase. Sure, an appreciation decreases export sales but financial flows play a larger role in our BOP than trade flows.

Michael1990's question ages back that was debated to death. Not going to include it.

CBF doing more atm. More rants to come.

Dota55

HSC
Re: ITT: rantings about stupid MC questions. Add your own, correct me, argue your poi

For the first one, free trade does not neccessarily mean that there'll be a greater range of goods and services. Yes, it enables it. Does not neccessarily guarantee it....or something like that.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Re: ITT: rantings about stupid MC questions. Add your own, correct me, argue your poi

Dota55 said:
For the first one, free trade does not neccessarily mean that there'll be a greater range of goods and services. Yes, it enables it. Does not neccessarily guarantee it....or something like that.
I guess. But does it ensure an efficient allocation of resources all the time?
There have been cases where it just causes long-term unemployment...

karnage

HSC
Q1. Ok i woulda just based it on what answer is better and it'd be the efficient allocation of resources because thats what its all based on, comparative adv etc. etc.

Q2. Hmmm yea thats a tough one, i would have picked B still based on the fact that its a reduced 'likelihood' i.e. its not a direct impact of reduction in tariffs like the other 3 and is based on chance (if you get what i mean)

Q3.
Yes but its servicing costs not foreign debt. Thus, A would be wrong because if global interest rates rise, that means the debt servicing ratio would increase because you'd have to pay more.
C is wrong because debt servicing ratio doesnt measure debt, it measures the amount of export revenue used to pay off interest (dont have a textbook definition off the top of my head)

Q4. Id say B because appreciated $A will make our exports less internationally competitive resulting in decreased export sales, and as our CAD is mostly made of foreign debt, the size of it will decrease due to the greater $A i.e. valuation effect

EDIT LOL SORRY ABOUT ALL THAT TEXT, here ive simplified it.

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
In response to Karnage

Which of the following is most likely to cause a decrease in a nation's debt servicing ratio?
B. Rising export levels

The answer is B. But A and C are also correct. Debt servicing ratio is Debt/export revenue.
So whilst B increases increases export rev, A and C lower levels of foreign debt.

Yes but its servicing costs not foreign debt. Thus, A would be wrong because if global interest rates rise, that means the debt servicing ratio would increase because you'd have to pay more.

Oh shit, my bad, I misread it.

C is wrong because debt servicing ratio doesnt measure debt, it measures the amount of export revenue used to pay off interests (dont have a textbook definition off the top of my head)

but as debt levels fall it takes less export sales to service the debt. So the ratio decreases..

What is the impact of an appreciation of the Australian dollar on Australia's CAD?

Obviously B or C. The question states impact on AUSTRALIA's CAD. Our CAD is mostly because of our foreign debt. An appreciation makes this debt increase. Sure, an appreciation decreases export sales but financial flows play a larger role in our BOP than trade flows.

Id say B because appreciated $A will make our exports less internationally competitive resulting in decreased export sales, and as our CAD is mostly made of foreign debt, the size of it will decrease due to the greater $A i.e. valuation effect.

That was my answer. it's wrong. The answer is C

karnage

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
but as debt levels fall it takes less export sales to service the debt. So the ratio decreases..

SNIP SNIP

Ugh...in regards to the first line, id guess they shoulda said 'with all things being equal'? ceteris paribus?

And the next one, hmmm i guess since they already give you the impact i.e. exports, then ud have to say that the CAD is increased based on that fact only?

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC

BackCountrySnow said:
In response to Karnage

B. Rising export levels

Oh shit, my bad, I misread it.

C is wrong because debt servicing ratio doesnt measure debt, it measures the amount of export revenue used to pay off interests (dont have a textbook definition off the top of my head)

Id say B because appreciated $A will make our exports less internationally competitive resulting in decreased export sales, and as our CAD is mostly made of foreign debt, the size of it will decrease due to the greater $A i.e. valuation effect.

The thing is 1. you have a deterioration of the goods and service account because of decreased exports and increased imports [v - bad]
2. As a result of decreased servicing cost, MORE people will start borrowing overseas and this will offset the fact that there are decreased servicing costs. [ this theory is similar to the fact that decreased import prices will deteriorate net trade because people tend to import more.

Those are my reasons. [i.e for deteriorating CAD]

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC

What of the following is not an impact on the government as a result of reduction in tariff levels?
A. Reduction in government revenue
B. Reduced likelihood of cutting tax rates
C. Increased spending on job retraining programs
D. Greater voter dissatisfaction with the government.

IMVHO there is no correct answer. However, I put down B which was correct.
A is obviously wrong.
B is wrong because tariffs are a big source of government revenue so the removal of them is likely to reduce the likelihood of a tax cut for households.
C is wrong because the gov needs to deal with the structural unemployment.
D is wrong because the unemployed workers will have a cry.

end quote

Should be B, your explanation is jumbled. AND B is indirectly related to protection levels.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
karnage said:
And the next one, hmmm i guess since they already give you the impact i.e. exports, then ud have to say that the CAD is increased based on that fact only?
yeah, that's what i thought. It's a shit MC question though, if something like that is expected to be inferred.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)