Italian scaled down.. (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Italian Continuers was actually scaled up slightly (though not very much).

The scaling for language courses is usually quite wild and unpredictable.

Jacks

HSC
I did it last year and apparently it was scaled down...I was told that it scaled down on the assumption that those taking the course were italian, which if that is true is very annoying considering I'm not...but I really don't know how the scaling worked, this was just what someone from UAC said when I enquired about it *shrugs* I hope you did well despite whether it scaled up or down though ;)

s2ophie

HSC
Language scaling is affected by the people who do the subject and already speak the language. There are a lot of people who do Italian that are Italian so they think that they don't have to study much. If these people studied a lot and got truly exemplary marks then the scaling would be improved. But a lot don't and therefore there marks are average. Therefore everyone else is not pushed up.

I think what i said is true but i might of explained it incorrectly. Sorry if that's the case.

Jacks

HSC
No, I understand what you're saying...and all I can say is if they aren't going to apply themselves enough they shouldn't bother taking the course because people who work their butts off don't get their just rewards...it is so annoying that what other people do affects everyone else...damn them hehe ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i look at it this way -

a lot of people who do languages are good at them because they are of that background.
it then depends how able they are as a group - it is possible they are all smart so when you look at their other subjects they will have done well in the other subjects, so the scaling goes up

it is also veyr possible they are just good at the language because that is their background so they may have done well there and not in their other subjects, so the scaling would go down

whether this is right or not i do not know

chibi_teazer

HSC
Isn't Italian beginners scaled down usually? It's just a tad unfair to assume that most people doing a language have that background... I do German and Italian... and as far as I can see, unless i'm Nicholas Cage i'm not gonna be helped that much :p I'll prolly be scaled down for it too. *oh sigh*. AND hehe, this is the cream, i have to do Italian AND German on the same day in the HSC. Woot. :p

belpen

Usually languages are viewed quite favourably in light of the scaling game - however, I think alot of people who have a background of a particular language do it for cultural reasons, alot of Italian families in this day and age don't speak pure Italian, it's dialect, so alot of the work has to be done by a student, especially when you reach the year 12 level, and I believe using dialect is strictly prohibited. It also depends on the year - our school had fantastic results about two years ago, and so did the rest of the state, so it depends on how motivated the group as a whole is. Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)