IT Traineeships? (1 Viewer)

Nemisis

HSC
N/A
Just wondering if anyone else here has got a traineeship in IT through school? I hope this is the correct place!

I have been doing one with a WebDev business for the last year and a bit, continuing into next year.

Wondering if anyone else has?

desipryde

HSC
yeaa.a. phew..... i thought i was donly one doin it... since its new lol...
yea iv been doin it since 4 mths now... n getin along welll. :D

JTN

HSC
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I'm doing a traineeship too! I'm doing it with the IT department at school... It's fun and a great learning experience.

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
That is a very good question about the IT Traineeships,

I know for a fact talking with a lot of computer repairers, technology consultants and managers of IT in medium-large scale business/enterprise that they have a lot more confidence in the education which VETiS offers in school (and also TAFE VET).

This stems from a problem with the University/academically based learning approach to IT. Information Technology I have said for years and years cannot be learned from a book. You can cover concepts, issues, ethics, theorems, but you CANNOT cover real world problems and issues which you might face in the IT workplace.

Even some Universities (such as here at Newcastle Uni) are now switching to the problem-based learning approach to try and regain faith in the bachelor degree program for IT.

So what is that saying if the Universities are switching to this approach of learning? That you learn more, that employers like to see that their potential staff have the required skills to operate in the industry coming straight out of Bach. IT or Applied Bach. IT and can adapt to new technology quickly.

Does VET offer the same learning as these Uni degrees? Well many people in the industry are now saying YES!!! And most of them are also saying, "its better too!"

Just from the people that I know in the Tamworth and Newcastle regions, those who are interested in pursuing an IT career who have done the Cert 2 IT course have either got one of four things...

1. Got a Traineeship Straight out of the gate
Usually employers are looking for someone who they believe has a passion for IT and can adapt quickly in a variety of work environments and work environment situations (eg. Can work in team and individually, can make valid and researched recommendations to clients/other team members, etc.). Dont be dissapointed if you dont get a Traineeship just from doing the Cert 2 course as often only the 'cream of the crop' so to speak go straight to an IT traineeship as a lot of small business employers often dont have the time or resources to devove huge chucks of their time to Trainees who are inexperienced in their field of work

2. Have continued their studing at TAFE
Often people aim towards the Cert III (I believe there is also a Cert 4 for IT as well, but not too sure). Often this TAFE study (such as the one here at Hunter Campus) is complemented with Industry Certifications (Cisco, MS, CompTIA etc.) which further enhance employment opportunites. Sometimes some of these TAFE courses are also interlinked with companion universities (such as the Central Coast TAFE Campus at Ourimbah with Newcastle Uni) (biased I know since Im a student at Callaghan now but something worth looking at!!!!)

3. Gone on to Higher Degrees
Be sure that you make sure the degree is for one, well respected, and two, contains content which will pertain to your work. For example, there is no point doing a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering if all you want to do is be an IT techie. It is a waste of years of your life and most of the time employers will recognise that Engineering is a different kettle of fish to IT. For example, most well respected Universities have their Computer Science/Engienering courses in their Engineering department whereas the IT disipline is often with the Science faculty (or the Business faculty sometimes). PLEASE be very aware of this and make sure the degree is going to set you up for your future employment endevours.

4. Followed Up Industry Certs (see above in TAFE)

You have to remember that all these options will get you employment, but some will get you there quicker and some of them will only get you into certain areas. For example, network architecture engineering probably wont be covered at TAFE in too greater detail as it would in a university degree.

In finally answering the question *PHEW* The traineeships are good for general IT work and you have to look hard to find them. Often they are not advertised and you need to know someone who knows someone to get one. And please dont be dissapointed if you dont get one!

Often people will not get full-time employment from a Cert II in IT although opportunities do arise where people are needed to fill a position urgently and often they will take ANYONE who knows something about computers. I know of at least 4 or so people who have got jobs just because of the absolute desire to put someone in a position and they are doing FANTASTICALLY in those positions.

I know of at least 15 people who have got traineeships in IT and a great deal of them didnt even finish Year 12. I know of two poeple at least that didnt even do the VET IT course. As I said, its different from employer to employer but the main thing they are looking for is that drive and determination to excel in your field.

Uni degrees are fairly broad these days so here is a layout for you
- IT applied with another disipline - Applied Bachelor of IT
- Study of information usage and storage - Information Science
- Massive programming studies - Bachelor of Engineering (Software)
- Hardware production - Bachelor of Engineering (Computer)
- Information Services creation and management and head administration - Bachelor of Information Technology
- ALL OF THE ABOVE - Computer Science Or Combined Degrees cover more (Such as Computer Science/Software Engineering)

They all have different requirements (combined degrees being probably the hardest out of them all). Before attempting the Engineering degrees or Computer Science (a combination of all the computer based courses, mostly Software and Computer Engineering with a Science name), be sure you are fairly competent with higher-level math (2 unit at least with a bit of 3 unit exposure)... eg. I sucked at Extension 1 and still am getting Credits in Math and Discrete Math. And you have to realise that it probably wont help you one iota in fixing a machine.

Geez I think that just about answered every question about employment YAY!

Hope that intersting read helped,

Bryce Robinson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)