• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IT (Information Technology) in Medicine (1 Viewer)

RyBo

HSC
Sup again, more questions... :chainsaw:

My family Dr did med some 25 years ago, and back then, the most technologically advanced equipment most med students had access to was a photocopier. All information came from notes taken at lectures and textbooks.

This brings me to my question:
What role does technology play in medical education today?
How do most people take notes? (handwritten, typed on laptop, PDA, tape recorder, ect)
Do you still get most info from textbooks and lectures or does the internet/CDs play a much larger role?

Also, family Doc also said some assessments are orals (not a type of sex :p but a speech), in which two lecturers would ask you questions and rest of class would listen in.
Does this still happen or are most assement items exams and typed essays?

Thanks in advance for answering my multiple and drawn out requistions for information :p

Rybo :cool:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Adel:
i use a tape recorder for early morning stuff..
PDA's are used as dictionaries and reference tools and scheduling
otherwise a book is good oh.. and a pen

textbooks.. are still there..like basic physiology to internal medicine ones.
use of PubMed, Harrison's and other websites for professionals is starting to be taught..
and wateva resources u can grab with ure hands :D

tests:
3 written parts - clinical reasoning w/ science and medical development, clinical skills .. (patient exams lik CVS, history etc) and sumfing else.. but these are the ones i worry about
we hav a medical interview one i think.. its lik u talk to 2 lecturers and they ask u questions bout the case ure reading..

some oral presentations are formative..

all unis are different.. but hav similarities

hope that helps..

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
UNSW's use of the internet makes life a lot easier - lecturers usually put their presentation slides up, lecture recordings are available, online resources from the library, like medical journals... and so on. It's all good when it works though. :)
I don't know much about testing, i suspect its pretty similar to what dexter said. The practice test before each real written test is online though.
In response to your question - it varies from person to person. Some people still make full handwritten notes in lectures, others relisten to the lectures online or a combination, like annotating a printed out version of the lecture slides. I haven't seen many laptops in lectures however. Printed textbooks and reference books aren't going anywhere either, still very important for basics through to advanced.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
our uni doesnt record the lectures.. cos we are small and also suppose to encourage u to go and listen.. lols and also everyone lives within 20-30mins of the uni.. so its pretty hard to miss them.. :p

lecture notes are available online.. but the ones u make will be better for exams..
none of our exams are online.. but case notes are

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mims is awesome..

but i can only get pAMH.. its average.. good for dosages.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I and a bunch of others take our laptops into lectures to make typed notes. Very good for things with lots of theory and minimal spacial understanding (ie biochemistry) but not so hot for the drawings (ie anatomy). That is unless you have a Tablet PC of course (one girl here in college has this, but doesn't use it because it's not common here).

Printing out slides and writing all over them is a brilliant idea though. I should do it more (and would, had I a printer and work ethic).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Damnit, what are all these acronyms I don't have to know yet? And why are these HSCers throwing them around?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
dont worry robert i dont know half the things theyre talking about either!
theyre just trying to look smart :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe yeah. I feel ok though, I don't need to know any of those things yet. We don't do any pharmacology until we finish all the normal systems stuff. That means two years before I learn proper pharmacology.

Then again, we do need to learn individual conditions and treatments from next semester for clinical practice so I'll probably learning some drugs then.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah those r the ones that can afford it and arent sure tat they prescribed the right dose...
I use a similar one when ppl throw trade name drugs around.. instead of their proper drug name..
IMO the subscription is kinda expensive for medical students.. well MIMS is..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah..
but i dun got the rich parents.. the guys tat do hav it.. use their parents subscription.. its pretti comprehensive..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah I'd say it's more the kids of docs that get those kinda things, since they can just use the subscription of their parents' practice. Us poor sons of couriers don't have that luxury. :p

RyBo

HSC
That is part of the reason you are doing medicine isn't it??
So your sons and daughters can have those luxuries?

(please do not flame me for believing medicine is good money - I know it isn't particulary, but better than most)

RyBo

HSC
oh, by the way, to all you uneducated med students :p
heres a useful medical acronym site which only the smartest year 11/12 use ;)

Also, I do not do HSC, this is probably why I'm so smart (and conceited)

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cpcme/edu/Acronym.htm
it might be british, but it's got MIMS on it (even though the definition is wrong)
OK, OK, MIMS might be wrong, but other stuff is probably right.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)