IT/ Comp Sci / Software Engineering (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
I've heard that after the recession heaps of software developers lost their jobs :( and what's up with the BCST(adv) course it's not like an employer is gona say wtf is that you didn't do adv I'm not hiring you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TqAgAllnk
Adv is thrown to attract the higher ATAR kids. Kids with ATAR would be reluctant to do a course in low 80's when there ATAR is at about 96-97.

Also the youtube video is based on american market, and in every recession layoff happen across the whole economy, just not software programming.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I've heard that after the recession heaps of software developers lost their jobs :(
Short term. Software is an enormous industry that is absolutely essential to the future of technology, be it involving computers or anything else. For the current time, the only place it can go is up.

Also the difference between SEng and Comp Sci Honours (at UNSW) is that Software has a mandatory Honours year that you're entered into automatically. Comp Sci you have to apply for yadda yadda.

Info on how that is graded:
Honours will be awarded to students who have achieved superior grades in courses over the whole program including the successful completion of a thesis at a sufficient standard. Weighted average marks required for Honours grades are given below: The School of Computer Science and Engineering uses an internal method for calculating this average, the information provided by New South Student is not used for this purpose.

Honours Class 1: WA greater than or equal to 75

Honours Class 2: Division 1: WA equal to 70 up to and including 74

Division 2: WA equal to 65 up to and including 69
3rd and 4th year courses are weighted higher than 1st or second

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
ever since I was around 13/14 (seeing the cell processor) I've been interested in the role of designing computer chips. I'm really interested and fascinated about how they run to make software work. I enjoy creating interfaces for users. I specially want to get involved in designing the next Intel processor chip or designing the next hardware for a next gen console. Though considering these are 'top of the line jobs' I'm figuring I would never get there.

I have looked up computer engineering on UNSW site, but it saids physics is compulsory, and I never did physics at school. (although I did get a band 6 for SC science (91)) I read that I must take the PHYS1111 course (bridging course) and I think higher maths is evolved. dammit I wish I never listened to my school, they said that I would never need physics for computing.

I'm so confused as to which course to choose. Just last year up until now I've just gotten a feel with with software design in my HSC course. I don't want to be stuck at a computer 24/7 for my work. I want a balance, a bit of on screen work and a bit of physical hardware work. I've been leaning towards a B.I.T course all this time because I thought it was what I wanted to do, (i'm also ace at IPT and I.T, though I do find it boring at times -guess that's with any subject though). This is why I'm looking at COMP SCI as it seems flexible and not too demanding.

has anyone else been in this situation? please provide some help thanks.

after looking at some youtube vids I just don't know anymore, a lot of yt vids are really phoney and very old from the 90s which really turns me off.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUU7tY_nq3g&feature=related

this guy looks like his up himself.

PS: I don't find robotics appealing to me.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have looked up computer engineering on UNSW site, but it saids physics is compulsory, and I never did physics at school. (although I did get a band 6 for SC science (91)) I read that I must take the PHYS1111 course (bridging course) and I think higher maths is evolved. dammit I wish I never listened to my school, they said that I would never need physics for computing.
HSC Physics is completely useless for first year Physics.

twistedrebel

HSC
i would not recommend computer engineering, for it being to niche in australia and going overseas you need to be best of the best. I.e. studying at uni 24/7 while everyone else is at unibar. But yes for computer engineering (hardware) you will need to physics and electrical subjects. Computer engineering is electrical engineering with extra programming.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
i would not recommend computer engineering, for it being to niche in australia and going overseas you need to be best of the best. I.e. studying at uni 24/7 while everyone else is at unibar. But yes for computer engineering (hardware) you will need to physics and electrical subjects. Computer engineering is electrical engineering with extra programming.
Okay, well I'm NOT doing that then. thanks for clearing that up.

I noticed this as well from the Intel site. There's no Australian careers. (I thought there would be an office).

Last edited:

twistedrebel

HSC
for computer hardware in general You will have a small team working on the technology (small as in a few hundred) at a handful of companies. while repairs/maintence of hardware done my many tafe people. There might be some jobs in high level maintence/installing servers for which you might need computer engineering degree. But from discussions i've had with people at uni, computer engineering is electrical engineering with a bit of extra programming, and job prospects in australia arent that good.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
for computer hardware in general You will have a small team working on the technology (small as in a few hundred) at a handful of companies. while repairs/maintence of hardware done my many tafe people. There might be some jobs in high level maintence/installing servers for which you might need computer engineering degree. But from discussions i've had with people at uni, computer engineering is electrical engineering with a bit of extra programming, and job prospects in australia arent that good.
Yeah I've also read this from other sources + A friend told me that electrical engineering is what's popular and demand atm. Most employers in Aust don't know the difference between computer systems engineering and Comp sci or I.T to that fact. It's kind of twisted in Aust. Comp engineering isn't in demand in Australia. So studying hard for no job or just a job you could of got with an I.T degree would be a shit thing.

source: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1047300

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
To the thread starter,

have you looked the majors offered in the different courses? Ignore the course name and look at the subjects first.You may discover that many subjects are offered in other courses too but with slight alteration. For instance, subject 31251 Data structure and Algorithms is taught in other comp sci programs but with different objectives.

It is important that you find a balance between technical subjects and business related subjects such as Information Systems, Business requirements modelling and etc.

Third, it is easier for someone with technical expertise to go over to the business side. It is not easy to go from business over to technical side.

You can have a look at the computing and Data Analytics major at UTS. It will combine pure technical programming(c++,java, webservices, AI,image processing and so on) , maths and you could select IS as a submajor.

Last edited:

susancollins

HSC
N/A
If your looking for software development then you can go for Computer science and engineering, Software engineering, BCA etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)