• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IT / Business? (1 Viewer)

Anonymous1

HSC
Hey guys.

We had a speaker come in and talk to us about careers in IT, and didn't appeal to me until she mentioned something about business with it. However, she only touched on it and didn't go into it so I wa shoping I could get more information about it from here.

Well basically it's something like doing a double degree - IT/Business or Economics and once you're finished you do networking, like setting up computer systems(or something along those lines) for big companies and such. With a few years of experience you could be getting payed from 400 - 600 an hour?

I'm not absolutely sure what's involved in this but she told me Maquarie would offer such a course. I was hoping someone could clear things up? Tell me if what I'm saying even makes sence? :p

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

HSC
yeah what you are interested in/thinking of doing sounds like what my sister does. she didnt do a double, but did an IT degree of some sort (majoring in Business Systems/Ecommerce?) but that was at UoW. so she did commerce and IT subjects throughout her degree i think. there's good money in it so if youre into both IT and commerce its well worth a shot!

oh point of that story was you should look into other unis that might offer a similar program.

Last edited:

Anonymous1

HSC
Has anyone else done this type of course?
Could someone be more specific in telling me the courses name so I could research more on it?

Thanks in advance.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Ye im doing a course like that, its B.Information and communication technology, and i major in eBusiness management. You will do managment/ business and IT stuff, there is not as much programming like the other IT courses though, which is a good thing for me.
You can also do internet science and technology and major in internet commerce.

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
Double degree? .. You're probably after the BBA/BIT, thats the double degree program that I'm doing at the moment, B Business Administration and B Information Technology, havent been at mac long but happy to answer anything you want to know about the course in general, as I was doing a B Business/B Computing course (basically the same) at UTS last year ..

I think you'll find that kind of degree is not strictly limited to mac

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
$300-600 / hr - you're kidding! That is, unless, you're doing consultancy. Even then maybe $100 - 200.

I'm doing a Business/IT course right now (BBIS). It's a co-operative education project between Monash Uni and industry. Essentially, it's a 3 year course with 2 on campus and 1 out in industry, doing 2 industry based learning placements.

You're also paid a scholarship of $36,000 over the three years for the placements.

There are other Unis around (in Vic and QLD...I haven't heard any in NSW) doing similar programs.

Beege

HSC
A big dilemma atm. Should I do a double business & IT degree or just IT with a years work experience?

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
I'd go with the double degree. I'm pretty sure at UTS it's one year compulsory work experience (aka sandwhich course), but you'll need to check up on that to confirm it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)