ISP Question - Religion and Music (1 Viewer)

Gemstone

Okay I want to do something on the different types of music used within the christian church however i've been told I have to narrow it down a bit. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can narrow it down.

Gemma

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
time period or musical style *could* be a good place to start
Also use within the Australian context (Pentecostal Vs Catholic) or maybe look at an Australian religious muscian like Amanda MeKenna

Kinda hard to just "narrow it down" without knowing where you want to go or what your actual interest is............!!!

Gemstone

Hmm.. well I'm kindda interested in the youth type music used in churches. I think it's pretty cool. Anyway can I do that. I'll talk to my teacher on thursday morning about it.

Gemma

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Gemstone
Hmm.. well I'm kindda interested in the youth type music used in churches. I think it's pretty cool. Anyway can I do that. I'll talk to my teacher on thursday morning about it.

Gemma
You can do whatever you want!!! LOL

If you are interested in the "youth music" angle, check out Pentecostal music like Hillsong

Mike iE

HSC
I compared the Music at the Hillsong Church to the music at my local Catholic church, looking at the ways the music varies in style and the response of the congregations and the effects it had on them.
I just attended services to listen to the music, interviewed musicians at both churches and surveyed congregations. It got me 90/100, 65/70 for the report

Gemstone

Cool thanks for the suggestions I spoke to my teacher today and came up with a question. I'm going to do how christians today are influenced by music. I'm mainly focusing on whether Hymns have more effect or modern music. What do you guys think.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
sounds good. you can/could break christians up into the various churches eg catholic, anglican and pentecostal (could even break these up) to show a greater understanding of the topic and to allow further discussion of the question.
You can again look at some "modern" song writers like amanda mckenna (catholic) to see where they are going with modern music

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
there was something on the re-run of compass on religious music this past weekend. Only saw the last 5 minutes (was channel surfing) but it looked like it was on the use of religious music.
Check out the compass website (at the ABC). Might be worth following up.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)