Islamic Sex Education in Australia (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Muslim sex education: just say no
Email Print Normal font Large font By Caroline Milburn
May 29, 2006

ISLAMIC schools in Australia have adopted a sex education policy aimed at overturning the influence of Western sexual values on their students.

Under the policy, non-Muslim teachers would be banned from teaching sexual health classes. Students would be taught that pre-marital sex and homosexuality were anti-Islamic and therefore prohibited.

Otherwise, Muslim teenagers were in danger of forming their attitudes to sex from un-Islamic sources such as newspapers, magazines, television and the internet, the policy said.

"Thus Muslim youth may end up getting the wrong notion of sex, as for example, safe sex is OK," the document, Sex Education Policy: an Islamic Perspective, says. "It is imperative that the Islamic attitude to sex should win the race over the Western attitude to sex in reaching the minds of Muslim youth."

The policy has been adopted by private schools that are members of the Australian Council for Islamic Education in Schools.

One of the report's authors, Mohamed Hassan, the principal of Minaret College, in Springvale, Melbourne, said Islamic sex education classes would not include discussion about "safe sex" - the use of condoms to prevent sexually transmitted diseases - because it encouraged promiscuity.

"If you are going to tell kids that safe sex is OK, you are more or less encouraging them in this behaviour. But it is not acceptable outside marriage," he said.

Meanwhile, experts in teenage sexual health have warned that sexual diseases will become rampant among young Australians if state governments continued to avoid introducing a universal sex education program into all schools.

A leading adolescent health expert, Professor Susan Sawyer, said the rising rates of sexually transmitted infections among under 25-year-olds, could soon reach levels found in the US.
What a load of misleading crap, if they have no knowledge of STD's and tolerance of alternative lifestyles in Western democratic countries they might as well live in some hell hole like Saudi Arabia.

What a piece of shit religion is.

---

Edit: The link - http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/muslim-sex-education-just-say-no/2006/05/28/1148754873032.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Re: Islamic sex education

Wow. another example of religion ruining lives and trying to control people. Stupid muslims, sex is going to happen wether you tell the kiddies dont do it or not.

Generator

HSC
N/A

If you are providing an article or some other quoted piece for discussion, you must provide a link (or a reference if it isn't available online). Please, I really don't like having to provide a link just because the thread's starter was feeling lazy at the time.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC

It's not that much different from what they teach in some fundumentalist christian schools. Of course if the daughter of the fundie christian gets pregnant because she was never taught about safe sex it's unlikely her Father will slit her throat.

Generator

HSC
N/A

banco55 said:
Of course if the daughter of the fundie christian gets pregnant because she was never taught about safe sex it's unlikely her Father will slit her throat.
Just how likely is that here in Australia, Banco? The slitting of a young woman's throat, I mean?

Please let the above be the last comment of its sort. As much as any of you may not like this particular religion (or any religion for that matter), there's no need for baseless attacks that are designed to do nothing more than provoke a heated response. Keep it constructive, please.

davin

HSC
N/A

Generator said:
Just how likely is that here in Australia, Banco? The slitting of a young woman's throat, I mean?

Please let the above be the last comment of its sort. As much as any of you may not like this particular religion (or any religion for that matter), there's no need for baseless attacks that are designed to do nothing more than provoke a heated response. Keep it constructive, please.
well, not to fully defend that, or to imply its the norm, but there have been things like that that've been recorded as happening in england, i believe.

banco55

HSC

Generator said:

Well there's being quite a number of cases in western europe (including the UK). It seems you are the one who is under informed:

LONDON – Heshu Yones was just 16 when her father slit her throat because of her choice of boyfriend. Sahjda Bibi was 21 when a cousin stabbed her to death in her wedding dress for marrying against family wishes. Rukhsana Naz was strangled by her brother and mother for getting pregnant by a lover. The slaughter of a succession of young women by their male family members in recent years has alerted Britain to a problem that has migrated to Western Europe along with growing minority communities from South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East: "honor crimes."

For their perpetrators, these crimes have "honor" because they fulfill tribal custom to redeem the shame that some women have supposedly brought upon their families.

Last month, British police said they were reviewing more than 100 recent murders that could have been honor killings in an effort to understand the crime pattern better.

Their counterparts in Europe are no less alarmed: Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, and France are addressing this growing problem.

The United Nations says at least 5,000 women worldwide are killed each year as a matter of so-called family honor. Increasing numbers of these crimes are happening to women in Western Europe.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0707/p06s02-woeu.html

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

Clearly this is not a new issue having cropped up in relation to various christian schools/teaching methods. And really it boils down to a fundamental question:

Should parents or the state decide what shall be taught to their children?

Is it permissable for the state to compel the teaching of safe-sex, evolution, tolerance of homosexuals etc?

Were i the ultimate liberal I would say it is wrong for the state to compel anything, education should be funded directly by parents and as such parents should determine what their children learn.

However the stumbling block for me here is the issue of greater good and progress. Which is to say that if we leave parents in charge of education then the result will inevitably be a conservative system that does not foster progressive thought and may infact be reactionary eg teaching creationism, etc.

The only middle-ground I can find is that even though parents should directly fund education schools be legislatively compelled to 'tow the party line' so to speak that is to teach a national syllabus that teaches evolution, safe sex, etc and that any religious deviations from this must only be taught in a seperate opt-in religious education course.

The rationale for this curtailment of freedom of choice being the greater good that is to be conferred through having a secular education system that unites not divides and one that teaches what is regarded by the scientific community as fact.

To paraphrase from the simpsons 'I don't want a pastor teaching at school much like you dont want a scientist preaching at church'.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

banco55 said:
The United Nations says at least 5,000 women worldwide are killed each year as a matter of so-called family honor. Increasing numbers of these crimes are happening to women in Western Europe.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0707/p06s02-woeu.html
There are also increasing numbers of Muslims in Western Europe.

Hmmm...

(Come on people, 1 guess at what origin "Sahjda Bibi" had)

But does the thread starter think this is okay?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Absolutely, because the program seeks to eliminate prejudice against gays from a young age and also a large number of children there have gay parents and need to learn that it is not perverse or wrong if they are not exposed to the reason why they have children with LGBTI parents.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Excellent, so you do have certain moral standards that dictate your views and are no less biased than those of a fundamentalist Muslim.

Then we can invoke moral relativism and say that your views on both these things are no more universally true than those of the fundamentalist Muslim and hence the lack of sex education should continue.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

loquasagacious said:
Clearly this is not a new issue having cropped up in relation to various christian schools/teaching methods. And really it boils down to a fundamental question:

Should parents or the state decide what shall be taught to their children?

Is it permissable for the state to compel the teaching of safe-sex, evolution, tolerance of homosexuals etc?

Were i the ultimate liberal I would say it is wrong for the state to compel anything, education should be funded directly by parents and as such parents should determine what their children learn.

However the stumbling block for me here is the issue of greater good and progress. Which is to say that if we leave parents in charge of education then the result will inevitably be a conservative system that does not foster progressive thought and may infact be reactionary eg teaching creationism, etc.

The only middle-ground I can find is that even though parents should directly fund education schools be legislatively compelled to 'tow the party line' so to speak that is to teach a national syllabus that teaches evolution, safe sex, etc and that any religious deviations from this must only be taught in a seperate opt-in religious education course.

The rationale for this curtailment of freedom of choice being the greater good that is to be conferred through having a secular education system that unites not divides and one that teaches what is regarded by the scientific community as fact.

To paraphrase from the simpsons 'I don't want a pastor teaching at school much like you dont want a scientist preaching at church'.
Children aren't as yet developed and responsible individuals, and should not be forcefully indoctrinated into dubious religious values which aren't necessarily in their best interests by controlling parents. The state ultimately has a role to ensure parents raise their children in an appropriate way, because otherwise we just assume that they are the property of the parents, and in that case things such as slavery and child prostitution become ok, which they are clearly not.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i actually dont really care what sex education they teach in islamic schools. If they are so religiously fundemental to go to a muslim school, it means they would follow anything they are fed. All the (outdated) rules that come with the religion. Well i guess they have to wait till they are 30.

Too bad other people can enjoy the natural earrges and have a fun (safe) youth.

btw do they teach then about how to have sex with 72 virgins?

Last edited:

*sasha*

HSC
i dont know where the 72 virgins thing came from but as far as I know its not a part of the religion. i know quite a few muslims and its practically the same as christianity. but ANYWAY. i think these kids should be taught about safe sex and all that so that they themselves can choose what they want to do. they should be taught about what is acceptable in their religion as well as the alternatives. std's and pregnancy dont sound too appealing to me.

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
fuck i hate religion i HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HAAAAAAAAAAATE ITTT!!!!!
Me too, on occasions like this :(

Belief systems are one thing, but when religion - or people's interpretations of it - start to include taking other people's lives, it gets very mrrish :(

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
And it pisses me off if people start claiming attacking it is racist or damaging to their culture. Cultural relativism is seriously a misconstrued concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)