Islam (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
HotShot said:
no that doesnt answer the question. Its not good to blindly follow rules, whatever they maybe without knowing why they have been said, cos anyone can do that even an animal.

so you say you expect people to follow it even though the reasons for the rule is not given, thats silly.
if u read on i said "i guess im not really answering the question"...
so i kinda know that
and i will try and find out why properly..etc
its like i know enuff not to have a dog
but i dont know enuff to be able to explain it to u

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
HotShot said:
no that doesnt answer the question. Its not good to blindly follow rules, whatever they maybe without knowing why they have been said, cos anyone can do that even an animal.

so you say you expect people to follow it even though the reasons for the rule is not given, thats silly.
I know the potential controversy my statement may cause, but sometimes its really not 'good' to delve into extreme explanations of a simpe rule. For instance, when someone says 'don't lie' we dont go asking people WHY we shouldn't lie, we just know that its not a morally decent thing. The same reasoning applies here. Dogs are impure. This IS the reason. Its as as simple as that. And I for one, am completely at accords with this reasoning.

Islam, if your unaware, is a religion that is pretty 'big' on cleanliness. We have to be cautious of every little thing such as to perform ablution every time we pray and keep on eye on what contact our body has physically made which might invalidate our 'purity' such as touching a dog. Dogs are impure by their inherent nature, their saliva is ridden with germs not to mention the tapeworm they have which is potentially a risk to health. No matter how many times a dog is washed, it will always be impure thus its prohibited to keep a dog as pet, allow it to lick your face (like YUCK) and drop its saliva on the utensils you eat with and other household items. However its permissbile to keep a dog for hunting, securing agricultural land or livestock purposes.

Finally I wonder why its ALWAYS the religious rules that have to be 'not' blindly followed and their reasonings analysed and explicated by people when we follow so many other man-made rules without ever thinking twice about them.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
every animal, and human being has germs, diseases and parasites.. so are u saying we are not clean enough to follow the religion? wat difference is there between a dog and another animal. they all have germs, regardless of how infectious it is, its still dirty. anyways nowadays most of these disease can be treated or prevented.

man-made laws have already been analysed and questioned, after all they have been made by men. As for following them blindly, people are like that, even religion people follow it blindly.

There are also two different law, one that applies to the society and other only to the believers of the religon, quite obviously since everyone follows the man-made laws, they have become accustomed to it.. where as religions laws are only followd by a few, thus naturally people tend to question the validity of it. it has not been written by a man, not negotiated or discussed unlike other laws.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
HotShot said:
every animal, and human being has germs, diseases and parasites.. so are u saying we are not clean enough to follow the religion? wat difference is there between a dog and another animal. they all have germs, regardless of how infectious it is, its still dirty.
If a cat licks ur plate it will not cause any harm to u.. ur body or ur health... however if a dog licks ur plate it will... that is the difference..

for example lets look at it in terms of the fly...

the science behind it:

Now a fly has two wings right?....

one of these wings has a disease... and the other wing has a cure for that disease...

muslims have been advised by the prophet mohammad (peace be upon him).. that if a fly was to land in ur food... that u should dip it in ur food... as to make sure (if the diseased wing has touched ur food) the cure for the disease is in place.. because we don't know which one has the disease or the cure

no one said anything about "you" not being clean enough to follow the religion... when u follow the religion u follow its rules (i.e. cleanliness)... ur statement kind of contradicts itself.. any human can follow the religion...

tempco

HSC
soha said:
no actually
you dont use soap
you use water
and soil..in extreme cases
logically speaking, what would clean better: soap or soil? all because something was specifically mentioned doesnt mean we have to stick to it regardless of context... maybe soil was the best they had during the Prophet's time, or watever... for example, I find it odd that some people still use the miswak (that wooden thingy to clean your teeth) when there's toothbrushes and toothpaste... the main point of it being mentioned is dental hygiene, and not the miswak.

just my frame of mind.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
nekkid said:
logically speaking, what would clean better: soap or soil? all because something was specifically mentioned doesnt mean we have to stick to it regardless of context... maybe soil was the best they had during the Prophet's time, or watever... for example, I find it odd that some people still use the miswak (that wooden thingy to clean your teeth) when there's toothbrushes and toothpaste... the main point of it being mentioned is dental hygiene, and not the miswak.

just my frame of mind.
no we dont use soap
we use soil
its been scientifically prooven that some microbes and stuff passed through a dogs saliva cannot be washed away with just soap and water
islamically its 7 buckets of water to one bucket of dry dirt or soil or whatever
and you wash it away like that
this is in islam..
Allah knows best

Last edited:

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
mz_purfect, some of the hadith are sayings of the prophet whereas the Qu'ran is the compelte and unchanged word of God, and if ,,according to the article, it doesn't say anywhere that dogs are forbidden then i say respect them, as we should each and every of Allah's creations, just because we don't eat pigs i dont go kick one if i see it...Allah created it, it has it's purpose, respect it..dogs are excellent companions to humans, and i think it stupid when, as it has been reported (im not sure as to the validity of this claim) that Muslim taxi drivers wont let guide dogs in...if ever they do that the act in itself is much more un-Islamic than having a dog in your vicinity....Islam emphasises cleanliness..but it doesn't imply that you have to become obsessive compulsive about it, animals are everywhere germs are everywhere and i agree that hotshot has a logical fact there..Islam recommends that you keep yourself clean but don't overstep the barrier into fanaticism. My mother's family had 7 or 8 dogs and she and my uncles are better muslims than some people who wear full headdress and burka....Islam is based on intention...not purely on your actions or words...what is in your heart is what Allah judges you on, not the fact that you had a dog is enough to send you to Hell.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
mz_purfect, some of the hadith are sayings of the prophet whereas the Qu'ran is the compelte and unchanged word of God, and if ,,according to the article, it doesn't say anywhere that dogs are forbidden then i say respect them, as we should each and every of Allah's creations, just because we don't eat pigs i dont go kick one if i see it...Allah created it, it has it's purpose, respect it..dogs are excellent companions to humans, and i think it stupid when, as it has been reported (im not sure as to the validity of this claim) that Muslim taxi drivers wont let guide dogs in...if ever they do that the act in itself is much more un-Islamic than having a dog in your vicinity....Islam emphasises cleanliness..but it doesn't imply that you have to become obsessive compulsive about it, animals are everywhere germs are everywhere and i agree that hotshot has a logical fact there..Islam recommends that you keep yourself clean but don't overstep the barrier into fanaticism. My mother's family had 7 or 8 dogs and she and my uncles are better muslims than some people who wear full headdress and burka....Islam is based on intention...not purely on your actions or words...what is in your heart is what Allah judges you on, not the fact that you had a dog is enough to send you to Hell.
there is no compramise in islam

and full head dress and bukrah doenst mean anything..you could be a slut and wear it...so how could u say ur uncles were better
if its in the heart../then you cnat say that..only Allah can really judge ..u said it urself

neways im not bothered about the whole dog argument
all i know is i will never have one..and i wont willingly pat or play with one..
islamically and just coz im not a big fan of them in general

tempco

HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
Islam is based on intention...not purely on your actions or words...what is in your heart is what Allah judges you on, not the fact that you had a dog is enough to send you to Hell.
/me claps

hit the nail on the head indeed.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
soha said:
there is no compramise in islam

and full head dress and bukrah doenst mean anything..you could be a slut and wear it...so how could u say ur uncles were better
if its in the heart../then you cnat say that..only Allah can really judge ..u said it urself

neways im not bothered about the whole dog argument
all i know is i will never have one..and i wont willingly pat or play with one..
islamically and just coz im not a big fan of them in general
you can tell what kind of a person someone is..my uncles aren't perfect, as all humans are flawed but when you really need them or speak to them heart to heart about life or Allah and their love for Him it's wonderful, whereas I know a girl who wears the hijab and full covering yet goes and takes off her hijab in front of boys, speaks with a vulgar tongue and exposes herself overtly in front of boys.
I'm not saying that these girls are a majority..they are very rare...but nonetheless all I am saying is that trivial things do little to change your love towards Allah if you follow the religion correctly, which overall preaches a submission to Allah and an undying, unsurpassed love for Him. I believe that I love Him, with all of my heart and I follow the religion with my good intentions how I believe it is to be perceived...isn't the whole point of being a Muslim to spread the knowledge of Islam and not to pass judgement on or feud with your brothers and sisters in faith?
Peace

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
p.s. i'm saying this as being my perception of my uncles and this girl i know....the rest is upto Allah, Im not perfect, nor do I claim to be.

physician

HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
mz_purfect, some of the hadith are sayings of the prophet whereas the Qu'ran is the compelte and unchanged word of God, and if ,,according to the article, it doesn't say anywhere that dogs are forbidden then i say respect them, as we should each and every of Allah's creations, just because we don't eat pigs i dont go kick one if i see it....
we're supposed to treat all animals kindly... have u heard the story of the man in the desert (not sure what his name was)...

he was walking in a desert thirsty with nothing to drink or eat... until suddenly he came across a well... a well full of water...

as he took off his shoe (to use it as a cup because the water was too deep to put his hand in and drink) he saw a dog... a very thristy dog... now this dog could not reach the water and was struggling...

so the man... picked up some water and gave the dog a drink before he did himself....

Islam at no time tells us to disregard dogs.. or treat them unjustly... abuse or even "kick them"...

have u also heard the story of a lady that was extremely mean to her cat?:

this lady refused to feed her cat...
now we know that cats can easily catch their own food.. whether it be insects.. rats.. or food from a friendly neighbour...

however this lady chose to take the cats freedom away.. by tying her up and placing her somewhere where she was unable to catch her own food... or feed herself... and as a result allowed the cat to starve to death...

This lady entered hell for such a cruel act

And by the way... hadith is the saying of the prophet.. not "some".. but "all"

and some claim the hadith to be tampered with.. that is why u should read the ones accepted...

that is mainly "sahih al bukhari" which is considrered the second most important book in Islam after the Quran

There was also a story about a prostitute who had comitted alot of sin throughout her life...

one day she was really kind to a cat and for that reason Allah forgave her sins and allowed her to enter paradise (I don't know the story in complete but thats the main point behind it)...

my grandmother in the middle east used to own a dog, a german sheppard to be precise.. but it was in no way there as a pet.. rather it was there as a guard dog... and by the way this dog would probably attack the owners... and as mz_purfect said for securing agricultural land

My grandfather has 4 dogs on his farm.. also in the middle east... but they are in no way there as pets...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
o.k..the dog and well story....i have heard another version

there was a prostitute..who was walking past a well..and she saw a thirsty dog
so she put her shoe down the well to get it some water and for just feeding the dog
Allah forgave her for her sins
because Allah is all merciful..all forgiving etc

physician

HSC
soha said:
o.k..the dog and well story....i have heard another version

there was a prostitute..who was walking past a well..and she saw a thirsty dog
so she put her shoe down the well to get it some water and for just feeding the dog
Allah forgave her for her sins
because Allah is all merciful..all forgiving etc
yes i've also heard that... many people say different versions i'm not sure if there was more than one story... but as u can see both stories are indicative that we should be kind to dogs... and not abuse or torture or whatever

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
true..
in islam ive never been taught to mistreat anything
as far as i know...i dont have dogs as pets..and i steer clear from their breath and dont let them lick me
because they are najis..
thats all really

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i can't believe we're getting worked up over something so little as this lol when we have such a wonderful religion which that teaches respect to all living creatures..yeah I've heard some Hadith are tampered with and I have a Sahih-Al_Bukhari at home and I have read most of it and it is wonderfully enlightening and I have gained a lot from it.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah i was wondering why is there such a fuss about dogs neways
nothing is a problem unless we make it one

i think it just stemmed from a non muslims question ..and we had different opinions on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)