• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is your teacher trained?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i have noticed over the years that there are alot of teachers teaching subjects they are just NOT trained in! for example, my SDD teacher is my 3/4U maths teacher and he has admitted he hasn't taught computers for bout 5 yrs... also my yr 9/10 computing studies teacher was my chemistry teacher, also admitted to not being trained in de subject, just picked it up n read over the syllabus... its crazzy! i can't believe its legal!! DONT RUN SUBJECTS UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPETANT TEACHERS... let me no what u think!

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
[SIZE=-2]...my old school had to make its staff members volunteer to teach more than one subject... including those which they weren't qualified for.
so, we'd have history/geography teachers teaching english....
and we'd have math teachers teaching pe..... and music teachers teaching geography.... for some reason the science staff got away with just teaching science........but anyway.
one teacher taught math(7-10), history/geography(9-10), english (yr7), and PE
.... no joke!
but that was for junior school only, I'm not sure if they still did that for senior studies.
but yes... it does get quite annoying meeting teachers who do nothing but chuck their moods at you every once a month... yet not teach you anything in return
*sigh* .... they say nsw is in a shortage of teachers....[/SIZE]

klaw

HSC
Yes.... some of our teachers even teach in 3-4 subjects that they aren't trained in (but that's only up to year 10)!

HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
i have noticed over the years that there are alot of teachers teaching subjects they are just NOT trained in! for example, my SDD teacher is my 3/4U maths teacher and he has admitted he hasn't taught computers for bout 5 yrs... also my yr 9/10 computing studies teacher was my chemistry teacher, also admitted to not being trained in de subject, just picked it up n read over the syllabus... its crazzy! i can't believe its legal!! DONT RUN SUBJECTS UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPETANT TEACHERS... let me no what u think!
i think my SDD teacher was a D&T teacher she said this is her 2nd year teaching SDD(and we're the bait!), whereas the other head teacher is an absoloute champion, she's been teaching SDD since 2000 (yep it was offered in 2000 she tells me), as well as she was doing 2u computing 20 odd years before that, and did 3u when it was offered in i think 1995? 1996?

i wouldnt be worried too much about your SDD teacher melly, you got a portable talking sam davis book :uhhuh:

sinist4

HSC
klaw said:
Yes.... some of our teachers even teach in 3-4 subjects that they aren't trained in (but that's only up to year 10)!
Thats not always the case, my physics teacher is not trained to teach physics. she doesnt know any thing, wen u ask her a question that she doesnt no she changes the subject. :|

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah, it probably doesn't matter so much for yr 7-10, but I would say it is much more important to get 'trained' staff for yr 11-12. In yr 11 last year my legal studies teacher didn't have any legal background or training. I suppose it's hard to expect some kind of legal training though.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
our yr 10 geography teacher was the worst teacher I've ever encountered. He knew next to nothing about the subject, and his teaching style was to wander into the room 20 minutes late, set an exercise from the textbook and wander off again. some days he never turned up at all. when he actually was there to teach, he would never stay on topic. he'd say things like "today we're learning about bushfires. *stares into space* ok. put the heading 'marsh environments'." he must have got his diploma from a cereal box. plus he constantly raved on about how dumb we all were and how noone from his calsses had ever done well in the SC (wonder why??). he was arguing with this girl once about her parents...he asked her why they migrated to Aust, and she said " to be with mums family" and he said "NO! they moved here for the climate." she was like "no they didnt" and he goes "dont argue, im right, go ask them yourself. for the CLIMATE!" freak.

klaw

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
our yr 10 geography teacher was the worst teacher I've ever encountered. He knew next to nothing about the subject, and his teaching style was to wander into the room 20 minutes late, set an exercise from the textbook and wander off again. some days he never turned up at all. when he actually was there to teach, he would never stay on topic. he'd say things like "today we're learning about bushfires. *stares into space* ok. put the heading 'marsh environments'." he must have got his diploma from a cereal box. plus he constantly raved on about how dumb we all were and how noone from his calsses had ever done well in the SC (wonder why??). he was arguing with this girl once about her parents...he asked her why they migrated to Aust, and she said " to be with mums family" and he said "NO! they moved here for the climate." she was like "no they didnt" and he goes "dont argue, im right, go ask them yourself. for the CLIMATE!" freak.
Hahahaha your yr 10 teacher is crazy... who would want like this unpredictable climate?

Last edited:

*fkr

HSC
^^^ lol... i've currently got a chem teacher that does triathlons... shes been away for a bit over a week now which is great just before prelims

P

pLuvia

yeh my former history teacher was my computer studies teacher how random

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
F**ken my economy teacher cant f**ken teacher, delibrately avoiding our questions for the exam, giving us no notes to study watsoever...

oh well, had my eco exam, if i fail, i dont who to blame

klaw

HSC
HamuTarou said:
F**ken my economy teacher cant f**ken teacher, delibrately avoiding our questions for the exam, giving us no notes to study watsoever...

oh well, had my eco exam, if i fail, i dont who to blame
but the prelim eco course (don't know about HSC) is pretty straightforward... you can teach yourself :|

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
dats wat i practically did, doin alrite atm, i hope our deputy teaches us next yr...

btw, do u know wat area ur deputy(s) are trained?, my 2 deps are social science and maths

Master Gopher

HSC
One in english/history I think, but he only does junior classes, and the other I think some business/commerce type subjects.

I don't think we have any teachers that aren't *really* trained except some of the D&T ones only half-know what they're doing w/ some of the subjects, but then I don't do DT anymore, so it doesn't really affect me. And all our D&T kids do awesome anyway. We got two in design tech this year, just found out...yay for them

Oh and we have a geog teacher who...actually 2 geog teachers....who are absolutely incredibly vague and unhelpful, don't know how qualified they are, but they don't have any senior classes because nobody wanted to do geog...I wonder why....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)