Is your school behind in subjects? (1 Viewer)

501n2u

HSC
Hey kiddos, are any of your schools behind in their teaching? My school is behind and it's quite worrying for me. We were told in Physics that compared to other schools we actually have one lesson less per week for our subjects. Another thing is that every school had their assessment blocks last term and we only had exams for a few subjects. I only had exams for maths and phys. All our other exams are pushed to next term. Is that bad? Also my school isn't going through the syllabus in the same order as stated. i.e. in eco we're starting with topic 3 first. Are any other schools doing the same? IM SO STRESSED ABOUT THIS. rararara. =]

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
You sound just like my friend that does to the private school...

I met up with her one day, we got to talking and I'm like
*haven't got the stimulus booklet...haven't started English module B, haven't done speech for it...so behind in English
*haven't finished prelim 2u or ext maths
*have so many holes in physics and chem syllabus

She was TOTALLY STRESSING and FREAKING OUT (for me) coz she couldn't believe I was so far behind. Then told me how much they had covered and all the assignments and tests she had done, how far they were up to. Her school really pushed forward (then again the skl made it into the rankings, pretty good for where we live)

I was like meh...chill now fully stress later. She still can't believe how far behind we are.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
We're behind in Software Design/Development. We're probably ahead in the rest of our subjects.

ichiraku

HSC
Sometimes not following the syllabus order may actually turn out to be an advantage. Like in your case, starting with Topic 3 in Economics is is quite helpful as you get introduced to a lot of areas which will be addressed in the other modules. Oh and Topic 3 and 4 are all about recognising the links between economic issues and policies so the sooner you see these, the better your understanding will be. It also helps enormously in the essays =]

Oh yeah and Topic 1 sucked (for me at least), so you don't have to go through that for now =)

Chocolat

HSC
Our teachers are always telling us that we're behind in subjects! Well...they say it in particularly when the class is being disruptive and loud..and it's most possible to get our attention more then anything else. However, I do believe that we were behind quite significantly in maths...I mean we only did calculus mid way through the last term of school...yikes!

w00dy.

HSC
501n2u said:
Hey kiddos, are any of your schools behind in their teaching? My school is behind and it's quite worrying for me. We were told in Physics that compared to other schools we actually have one lesson less per week for our subjects. Another thing is that every school had their assessment blocks last term and we only had exams for a few subjects. I only had exams for maths and phys. All our other exams are pushed to next term. Is that bad? Also my school isn't going through the syllabus in the same order as stated. i.e. in eco we're starting with topic 3 first. Are any other schools doing the same? IM SO STRESSED ABOUT THIS. rararara. =]
hey.

according to our teachers 'we slipped behind' throughout the term, but we managed to get back on the right track again. i think if you work hard enough and the teachers work you hard enough you wont have to worry about being 'behind'. alot of schools do things differently. yes we have to follow the same syllabus and what not but eventually everything will be covered.
in some of my subjects we arent following the way the syllabus is set out. and i personally reckon its better because some subjects overlap or provide background information for the next. so it can work out to be an advantage for you.

try not to stress out about it too much.
fingers crossed itll all work out. and if worse comes to worse then i suggest talking to your teachers about it.

P

pLuvia

Don't worry my MX2 class was behind earlier year but we managed to catch up with a few extra lesson (about 3 lessons more a week) if all else fails study ahead these holidays, get a tutor etc

501n2u

HSC
aaaw alright well hopefully we catch up next term ><

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It's all true with what everyone has said. Basically each and every school and for that matter each class is different. Each teacher has there own teaching styles and ways of tackling the syllabus, but one thing is certain it will all be covered at one point. How deeply and fully will depend on other factors but if it is a real worry might be an idea to talk to your teacher and maybe work ahead like pLuvia said with a tutor or using the textbook.

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
if you have any concerns about that kinda stuff..
talk to the 'director of teaching & learning' at your school.
or your grade coordinator... or even your principal.
they should be able to run through with you what is happening, and if not, fix the problem.

I felt the same way about an english teacher at my school.
she was fresh out of uni, and started out with teaching us...
clearly she wasnt experienced enough to start teaching students about to start there HSC year.....
she had no idea what she was doing, and wouldnt control the class properly. as a result our class fell way behind the other classes, and behind schedule with everything.

I approached the director of teaching &learning at my school about what had been happening throughout the year, and she actually had no idea that it was going on. She was very understanding and thanked me for approaching her otherwise she wouldn't have known, and we all would have suffered.
My englsih teacher is now being replaced for next yr with a more experienced teacher, and my classmates and I now have hope in passing english.. lol

so yeah.. wouldnt hurt to talk to other teachers or head of teachers or whatever..
:santa:

jaaaaay

HSC
we're behind on all those science subjects...
but i think ahead in english...

i think some departments in my school are a lot more organised...

vizman

HSC
yeah we're behind in the science topics and maths. although a few weeks of intensive catch-up usually put us back on track

HSC
ichiraku said:
Sometimes not following the syllabus order may actually turn out to be an advantage. Like in your case, starting with Topic 3 in Economics is is quite helpful as you get introduced to a lot of areas which will be addressed in the other modules. Oh and Topic 3 and 4 are all about recognising the links between economic issues and policies so the sooner you see these, the better your understanding will be. It also helps enormously in the essays =]

Oh yeah and Topic 1 sucked (for me at least), so you don't have to go through that for now =)
Yea i agree with eco its much easier to do the last topics first.

We did the course in order of the syllabus and by the end we had nearly run out of time so ended up speeding through topics 3 + 4 (literally sped through, we didnt even touch fiscal in class did it on our own and did monetary stuff in half a lesson). Hence it would have been so much easier to do topic 1 last or so as that stuff is easier compared to the later.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
same here.
my school's behind in chemistry & physics ( I don't do bio , so i dunno )
we're still halfway through the first unit. i think we're guna have to teach ourselves how to do the next topic. we're pretty slow .. but its thorough, so i guess that makes up for it =D

kloudsurfer

HSC
My school is behind in bio. My science faculty is hopeless. Weve still got 1/3 of my bio topic to go!

If it really worries you than you should catch up yourself in the holidays. Thats what i plan to do.

angelsyuna

HSC
my skool is behind in the science subjects n i do all 3 >.< 4 3unit maths...we're doing d topics backwards i think. this term we did probability and binomial theorem. havent started on nefin else... need help....

-pari-

HSC
N/A
yes we're behind in a few subjects

other subjects its hard to compare since we've started different parts of the syllabus first

but for some subjects....i'm really getting worried :S teachers looking waaaaay too relaxed, going a tad too slow.

hm. tis okay. other years managed, we shall too :)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Feel behind imagine having your deputy principal as ur teacher, who's always out of class attending to naughty kids, meetings, organizing things etc...get much done, nope!

Unless you compare yourself to another school or haven't finished the prelim course, how do you really know if your behind?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)