Is titrant known or unknown concentration? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
It's in the burette but I can't find it specifically written as the known or unknown concentration. I'm assuming it's unknown since the thing in the burette is unknown. Is my logic correct?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The solution in the burette is usually the solution with the unknown concentration.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
So the definition if the titrant is the unknown concentration substance in the burette right?

xGhanem

HSC
Can't the unknown solution can be in either the burette or the Conical Flask, based on personal preference??

QZP

HSC
The solution in the burette is usually the solution with the unknown concentration.
Nope
Can't the unknown solution can be in either the burette or the Conical Flask, based on personal preference??
Yes, but conventionally the conical flask contains the unknown solution and the burette delivers the known solution, hence you should do it this way.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't matter. As long as you get the stoichiometry right. But personal preference, if one of the solution like NaOH absorbs moisture then use that in the burette as it can be covered by aluminium foil.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Nope

Yes, but conventionally the conical flask contains the unknown solution and the burette delivers the known solution, hence you should do it this way.
And the conical flask conventionally contains the standard solution as far I was taught.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
wow then there's much conflicting thoughts on this. I was taught that the burette holds the unknown concentration and my chem teacher said when you go to uni the burette contains something in particular which I forgot but usually it's not always the unknown. Anyways thanks everyone

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't matter. As long as you get the stoichiometry right. But personal preference, if one of the solution like NaOH absorbs moisture then use that in the burette as it can be covered by aluminium foil.
Just wanted to point out that NaOH is not used as a primary standard(either as a base or acid) in a typical titration reaction.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no proper convention, which ever method is most convenient because both methods can achieve the exact same result.

With that said, the reason why I tend to prefer having the unknown in the conical flask is because you usually have a limited supply of the unknown solution but you have an effectively unlimited supply of the standard solution. When you put something in a burette, it requires more cleaning and wastage of solution to clean it (rinse with the solution it will hold). Doing that with the standard solution is easy but it's harder to do that with the analyte because you don't have as much of it so you don't want to waste it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)