• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is this strange? (1 Viewer)

T-Hud

HSC
My school doesn't do "half-yearly's". We just do one assessment for each subject per term until the trial hsc.

SuperMike96

HSC
Seems like a sweet deal. Most schools I know of do half-yearlies. If I were you I would practice past papers so you get used to exam style questions.

iBibah

HSC
We don't have a half yearly block too. not strange.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Nope, its not strange.
It happened at my school as well where we didn't half half yearly exams. They decided to give out research assignments out instead which I found to be really stupid :L

Michelle Lin

HSC
I'd prefer that so much.
At my school we have 'practice' half yearlies THEN real half yearlies. The practice ones are usually done in the same fashion half yearlies are done but they're non-assessable so it's pointless. Urggggghhhh.

DancingAnz

HSC
I wish I didn't have half yearlies. Too much stress for assessments that don't even weigh that much!

Michelle Lin

HSC
Damm thats lucky, we only got practice half yearly for english essay writing, thats a very good advantage, gives you an idea of how well you need to study for half yearlies
You'd think but it's usually focused on the recent/current modules in each subject (multiple choice, short questions and extended responses) but the half-yearlies usually only only have the recent modules in the multiple choice/short questions so we do the extended responses on the modules we did last year which (because I'm such a bad student haha) I just cram like crazy because I've forgotten it all. I think my school tries to get us acclimated to the sort of exam atmosphere and situations but as someone with some anxiety issues I find the extra exams really stressful. Though, it's probably good in the sense that it's repeated exposure so I'll get desensitised towards it.

You can totally do past papers/ask your class teacher to make you a mock exam to do if you really wanted to?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, some schools structure their assessments a bit differently, my school didn't have HYs for all subjects, iirc.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A half-yearly is basically a slightly enlarged assessment - not too different to just an assessment.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Not really

My school has a half yearly assessment period but I only did 2 subjects that required exams.

However like what someone suggested above it is good to get some exam practice in.

T-Hud

HSC
I'd prefer that so much.
At my school we have 'practice' half yearlies THEN real half yearlies. The practice ones are usually done in the same fashion half yearlies are done but they're non-assessable so it's pointless. Urggggghhhh.
Wow unlucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)