Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

is it possible to obtain a higher UAI if you were to have 11units including 2u maths OVER having the same 11units PLUS 1 extra unit from ext1 maths?

just assume that all the marks for the other subjects stay the same, but when u bring in that extra unit from 3U maths, is it possible to get a lower mark than when you had 11units?

cause i'm thinking of dropping 3U maths

thanks

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
IF you dont like 1 EX or dont do good at it then you might aswell drop it!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by layzeee student
just assume that all the marks for the other subjects stay the same, but when u bring in that extra unit from 3U maths, is it possible to get a lower mark than when you had 11units?
Based on that assumption, no - it just wouldn't be counted.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But if you find ext maths is taking up too much of your time you should drop it, especially if you are giving up other subjects study time to study it.

TheKey

HSC
whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THE RED BUTTON!!!:)

seriously dont drop it, i was in the same position as you last year, and belive me maths ext is so important in getting you good marks in 2unit as well as saving ur UAI.

Eg. i did ext maths and kept failing in class but most of the work done in Ext1 maths is also covered in 2 unit, so you study once for the ext maths exam, you fail, but then when u study the same thing again for the 2 unit assesment some time later, you already know half the stuff and the exam is relatively easy in comparison, hence you get the distinct advantige over the people not doing ext maths.

I never took ext math seriously but being hit with those 'harder' questions made me think of 2 unit as easy stuff, and when HSC came we all got the that nasty exam (it was in the news) and the people in my school not doing 3 unit were totally lost. i myself pulled a 86% in that exam and damn lucky, but if i didnt do ext maths it would be ~70%.

finally i was doing 12 units and never thought maths ext was going to count, but i did it anyway (someone told me i had to sit for the exam) and failed badly, i estimated my mark to be ~30% if im lucky, the actual results in mail said i got 66% (very nicely scaled :)), and not only that, it counted in my uai calculation over physics in which i got 77%. so Maths Ext 66% > Physics 77%.

So as you see there is no point in dropping it this early, with maths ext you will improve your 2 unit mark, and when you get to uni, should you pick an engineering degree you will wonder why in the hell you didnt take 4 unit maths, cause 2 topics from it were already covered in the first month of uni. :(

Its doable!!!

untamedanimal

The extension mark will only be counted if it is in the top 10 units, and in that case the extension student would get the higher mark

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
I did 11 units...

i was getting around 70% in most assessments, except the trials.
as TheKey said, 3 unit maths really helps with 2unit Maths work...!! i prolly got around 65% in my HSC Exam...which scaled upto 44/50...don't give up, just focus on the things that u can do, rather than the harder stuff....my maths teacher always said that first get the easier stuff out, and then look at the harder stuff. So yeah, that was my aim in the final HSC...also, try and learn from your mistakes in assessment task, such as are u making silly mistakes? Why are you losing marks? You don't exactly know how to do something? Are you timing your paper?? This was my problem in my trials...like i spent heaps of time on one question--and did not end up getting it out. I worked on my mistakes, and decided that in the Final HSC exam, i'll concentrate on the stuff i can do, and will time my paper well...and it payed off :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
another thing that might happen though is ext maths can stuff u up in 2 unit, as in class they dont cover 2 unit stuff as well

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Who would want to drop Extension Mathematics anyway? :)

luckyduck

Originally posted by TheKey
whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THE RED BUTTON!!!:)

seriously dont drop it, i was in the same position as you last year, and belive me maths ext is so important in getting you good marks in 2unit as well as saving ur UAI.

hey! the key!
but you noe how you said you was failling?
what abt the other student in ur class were they failing as well or getting 70-80%?

Eg. i did ext maths and kept failing in class but most of the work done in Ext1 maths is also covered in 2 unit, so you study once for the ext maths exam, you fail, but then when u study the same thing again for the 2 unit assesment some time later, you already know half the stuff and the exam is relatively easy in comparison, hence you get the distinct advantige over the people not doing ext maths.

I never took ext math seriously but being hit with those 'harder' questions made me think of 2 unit as easy stuff, and when HSC came we all got the that nasty exam (it was in the news) and the people in my school not doing 3 unit were totally lost. i myself pulled a 86% in that exam and damn lucky, but if i didnt do ext maths it would be ~70%.

finally i was doing 12 units and never thought maths ext was going to count, but i did it anyway (someone told me i had to sit for the exam) and failed badly, i estimated my mark to be ~30% if im lucky, the actual results in mail said i got 66% (very nicely scaled :)), and not only that, it counted in my uai calculation over physics in which i got 77%. so Maths Ext 66% > Physics 77%.

So as you see there is no point in dropping it this early, with maths ext you will improve your 2 unit mark, and when you get to uni, should you pick an engineering degree you will wonder why in the hell you didnt take 4 unit maths, cause 2 topics from it were already covered in the first month of uni. :(

Its doable!!!

TheKey

HSC
Originally posted by luckyduck
hey! the key!
but you noe how you said you was failling?
what abt the other student in ur class were they failing as well or getting 70-80%?
Most students were way above me, there was an 'elite band' for 5-6 students getting 90s, then 'normal' 20 or so studnets getting 70-85%, then there was 'below normal' where i was with another 10 students :) getting 40-50%, and full 'LOW' 2-3 students getting around 5%.

i cant remember for sure but in the HSC we had 5 E4's (highest band), and like 20 E3's, and i got E2. both my hsc mark and the mark from school was in the 30s/50, with a rank of like 28/35 in my school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)