• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is this plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

HSC
:biggrin: Okay guys... quick question ;/
(clears throat)
uhh.. If i memorised an essay which was made by my tutor and wrote that essay word for word into the exam would this be counted as plagiarism or not?

jamesfirst

HSC
It's plagiarism ... but who gives a shit ?

As if anyone will know that your tutor wrote it for you...

Jaymay

HSC
Without a Doubt. According to a handout we got at school re. Board of studies; it contains information on plagiarism and cheating. Cheating is 'Paying someone to write or prepare material that is associated with a task, such as drafts, process diaries, logs and journalism. the above are examples of plagiarism'. Also states 'Submitting a large amount of unacknowledged contribution from another person, such as a tutor'.

That said.

How the feck are they going to know.
Why not do it? I wouldn't. But if it works for you, and you've spent the money. go for it

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Mega plagiarism and so unethical. The fact you had to ask means it raised a flag in your mind as being wrong. A teacher could pick up on it too.

nimco

HSC
Fuck that's ridiculous. why waste time memorising.
Just know your text well, write a prepared thesis (if need be) and go with the flow.

What happens if your tutors essay doesn't fit tightly with the question given?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is but I did that for my HSC, does it matter? No.

Well i wrote my essays, my tutor just refined them (I got my tutor after the trials tho, I would've been dead if I didnt have him).

Also it's easy to make them fit to the question, write an essay to a generic question, then change the first 1-2 sentences of the essay to make reference to the question, dont listen to the people above.

maths94

HSC
It is but I did that for my HSC, does it matter? No.

Well i wrote my essays, my tutor just refined them (I got my tutor after the trials tho, I would've been dead if I didnt have him).

Also it's easy to make them fit to the question, write an essay to a generic question, then change the first 1-2 sentences of the essay to make reference to the question, dont listen to the people above.
+ 1

mecramarathon

HSC
a kid in my school got tutors to write his essays,

aced everything in the trials (15/15 belonging + 20/20 modules) except for comprehension 6/15

gg

(and the teachers found out)

HSC
Uni Grad
lol this thread makes me realize that I'd be getting a maximum of band 3 in english without tutoring... thank god I have tutoring. Not that I'm going to completely memorize my essay though I would memorize most parts of the essay :p

jamesfirst

HSC

aced everything in the trials (15/15 belonging + 20/20 modules) except for comprehension 6/15

gg

That doesn't justify anything. Comprehension is the area of study I presume, so it is unseen text. By getting good marks for your essays means you've prepared well for them. If the teachers thought he plagiarized just because he aced his essays but failed his comprehension, then the teachers are speds.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC

gg

Is HSC English really that predictable, can i just memorise essays an reproduce them in the exam room?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
That doesn't justify anything. Comprehension is the area of study I presume, so it is unseen text. By getting good marks for your essays means you've prepared well for them. If the teachers thought he plagiarized just because he aced his essays but failed his comprehension, then the teachers are speds.
Yes it does

hurp durp

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But if a student is identifying things like Aphorism, Bathos and In medias res in their essay, and can't spot a simile in the comprehension, the teacher could rightly assume that somethings off.

jamesfirst

HSC
Yes it does

hurp durp
no it doesn't?

say you've prepared that essay throughout the year. The language used is different because you've had such a long time to prepare. Does that mean at least 1000 students in the state is getting someone else to write their essays for them?

I don't think so....

And it's better to memorise your essay. Just write a super essay on a general question and adapt different questions into the essay. This way you keep writing. Make sure you don't stop writing ... If you didn't know wtf you're writing or you get stuck when your making it up on the spot, then you've already let every other kid surpass you and they have a better chance of getting a better mark then you

jamesfirst

HSC
But if a student is identifying things like Aphorism, Bathos and In medias res in their essay, and can't spot a simile in the comprehension, the teacher could rightly assume that somethings off.
Yeah. no

If the students can't even identify 'simile', they don't have a chance of memorising the super essay written by their tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)