Is This Fair? (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Well im having 1 week training with NO PAY AT ALL, at a Cinema and seriously each day is like minimum 7 hrs, i mean is this even fair? Shouldn't i be receiving something fo THIS LONG HOURS? Isn't this illegal this is so frustrating including the fact i have to pay for my own transport i think this is a load of GARBAGE

Mill

HSC
I think it depends if you are doing productive work. If they are training you by talking to you in some room, that's not productive work for the company. If you are serving customers, that is productive work, and you should be paid. Look into it.

Agent Z

HSC
It shouldnt be up to company policy, it should be up to what your award specifies.

And I really doubt according to your award they can just make you do one week worth of training without pay...

But of course, they probably can if they are using the system to their advantage, which they probably are.

I'm suspecting that your hired on a casual basis. Did you sign any documentation indicating that you were going to start working on the date you started training? If you didnt, they've got you there and theres nothing you can do about it. So technically if you didnt sign anything, your not starting work, which means your award doesnt apply, meaning they dont have to pay you anything yet.

And even if you said "since your not paying me for training, im not going to come, ill just start work when i have to" Theyre just going to fire you. Well they cant fire you, but since your a casual worker they can stop putting you on the roster, which is essnetially the same thing as firing you, although a lot more funny in hindsight.

Nearlyfinished!

Lacroix, Sweetie!
HSC
I really think that they should be paying you, especially since you're working long hours. I would understand if you were training for one shift, but they're getting slave labour from you at the moment and that sucks. If i was in your position and you can afford it i'd tell them to shove their job where it fits.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I had induction and training for about 1 week, only 3 days of these 7. (Woolworths)

The induction was all day. They sat me and a couple of other people in a room to watch vids and answer some questions in a booklet. I got paid $6-something an hour for watching videos..sweet!!

The training days were OK, we learnt how to operate the register, where the emergency exits were and to get our sign in numbers. I also got paid $6-something for these hours.

It depends on how good the pay is of the job as well..cinemas pay pretty well and if you worked hard to get this job and just think of how much you will get after the training. If its not worth it, or you have another job offer, then take it.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i think its legal coz they r guaranting u r job afterwards. its only illegal if u do the training then they dont let u work for money afterwwards

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Misturi
I had induction and training for about 1 week, only 3 days of these 7. (Woolworths)

The induction was all day. They sat me and a couple of other people in a room to watch vids and answer some questions in a booklet. I got paid $6-something an hour for watching videos..sweet!!

The training days were OK, we learnt how to operate the register, where the emergency exits were and to get our sign in numbers. I also got paid $6-something for these hours.

It depends on how good the pay is of the job as well..cinemas pay pretty well and if you worked hard to get this job and just think of how much you will get after the training. If its not worth it, or you have another job offer, then take it.

argh i went to that induction, never going to woolies eva again...now my employment is going to paid inductions...currently had 2, 1 by Coles and 1 by Woolies all paid and havent worked at =)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
my training period was 3 days? at maccas.....so i think 1 weeek is unduly cruel

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
argh i went to that induction, never going to woolies eva again...now my employment is going to paid inductions...currently had 2, 1 by Coles and 1 by Woolies all paid and havent worked at =)
heh, me neither, l quit after 1 and a half months...they treated me like l was a child.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)