Is this a major anomaly? (1 Viewer)

arjungamer123

HSC
So basically I'm in Yr 12, and I was browsing over some requirements for Aerospace Engineering, and I found that UNSW has a requirement of 88.00 UAI, while USYD has a requirement of 99.65 UAI. . . .

Now, as far as I know, from experience, rankings (http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2008/subject_rankings/technology/), and from opinions, UNSW's engineering programs are far better.

So could someone give a comparison of the Unis' Engineering departments? What makes USYD's course so special that it requires a 99.65 UAI? Which one is better?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
edit: sorry i didnt have a clue what i was talking about

dont worry about rankings -- they are based on the quality of postgraduate research, which is pretty irrelevant for an undergraduate degree.

but certainly, in general, UNSW has a reputable engineering faculty

Last edited:

arjungamer123

HSC
Hey ianc, could you give me a background of the enginnering courses at UNSW? How is the Aerospace course(if you have seen it)?

adnan91

HSC
the only reason its 99.xx is b/c usyd doesnt offer many places in it and hardly anyone does it there. Plus its pretty shit a usyd (teaching and stuff..) ur better off with aeronautical

arjungamer123

HSC
I know that. But I'm assuming Aerospace refers to Aeronautical (Space),or are universities intentionally misleading us, and aerospace at unsw refers to plain aeronautics?

lionking1191

HSC
the uai isn't necessarily an indication of difficulty or quality of the course, only the relative relationship between demand and supply. an eg. would be the 99.90 combined course fo textiles DT and some other randoms at UTS

doink

Clone
HSC
usyd only offers 15 places for their aerospace degree hence the high uai requirement, UNSW simply combines both degrees since space is just aero with 3 diff subjects and therefore more places and lower uai.

Go wherever you want, you won't get a job here or overseas in the aero field either way you will end up working as a mechanical engineer.

arjungamer123

HSC
doink said:
usyd only offers 15 places for their aerospace degree hence the high uai requirement, UNSW simply combines both degrees since space is just aero with 3 diff subjects and therefore more places and lower uai.

Go wherever you want, you won't get a job here or overseas in the aero field either way you will end up working as a mechanical engineer.
Thanks for your help :D

I'm planning to do study abroad anyway, but I'm planning to defer any offers here, to keep them as backups.

What I saw today of USYD was truly dreadful. The astronomy building looked worse than any high school I've ever seen.

doink

Clone
HSC
well basing a university on the quality of their astronomy building is the most logical way ive come across so far.

arjungamer123

HSC
It was the general space physics building. So theroretical cosmology as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)