Is this a good economics course? (1 Viewer)

aleco88

HSC
Is agricultural economics such a shit course , because not many seem to do it?

aleco88

HSC
Just what I needed to know,thanks guys.
Also, for someone who has not done economics, will I find intro micro/ macro economics at uni hard?

aleco88

HSC
sorry, was having trouble with the computer.
But seriously, will I really have difficulty with the intro economics even if I read over some HSC notes?

Some_Guy

HSC
wikiwiki said:
UAI means nothing.

Are you interested in agricultural economics? If so, it is a good course. Not many people do it because not many people ARE interested in agricultural economics. Most of the subjects in this degree are the same ones studied for in the straight B economics. I have a couple of friends doing this course who got excellent UAI's. So the short answer is : Yes, it is a good course.
....you sure?

aleco88

HSC
Some_Guy said:
....you sure?
Why are you asking? What are u doing this year?
Haven't seen you on this sight much?
I decided to do this degree because I just missed getting into B.Econ.
I get to do a major in economics and agri. econ. - not bad

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
aleco88 said:
Why are you asking? What are u doing this year?
Haven't seen you on this sight much?
I decided to do this degree because I just missed getting into B.Econ.
I get to do a major in economics and agri. econ. - not bad
same reason im doing it. im just not sure if ill enjoy it because i really dont have any interest in agriculture...at all.

aleco88

HSC
Some_Guy said:
same reason im doing it. im just not sure if ill enjoy it because i really dont have any interest in agriculture...at all.
I'm a bit unsure about the agriculture part of it as well.
At first I thought it would double my job prospects but then in the lecture today she said we had to do work experience on a farm. Did I get that right?

Some_Guy

HSC
aleco88 said:
I'm a bit unsure about the agriculture part of it as well.
At first I thought it would double my job prospects but then in the lecture today she said we had to do work experience on a farm. Did I get that right?
from what i can tell they want us to go to farms for at least 30 out of the 60 days of the work experience. seems like quite a pain in the ass to me. especially if we want nothing to do with agriculture when we graduate.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well, you're doing ag economics, what do you expect, a regular economics degree?

best thing to do is try to get good marks and transfer i guess.

Last edited:

aleco88

HSC
I thought we were actually studying the economics side of agriculture.
I didn't think we were going to work 'ON' a farm.
I don't think we have to do this till year 3/4
But like Sarah said, we have the option of transferring if it doesn't turn out how we like.

Some_Guy

HSC
youd have to do quite well for it to be an option i think.

The_DJ

HSC
I did one year of agec in '04, i went ok and got a transfer into arts/comm the following year, so its very possible. The only problem with transferring is that the 2 ag subjects you do wont be credited towards your new degree.

I found the ag subjects very dull. When I did it, the content was a combination of econ and ecmt but applying it to agriculture obviously. In saying that, I didn't really care whether or not i got the transfer, the job prospects after this degree did look quiet promising, but I couldn't see myself doing the ag subjects for the next 3 years. Good luck to all of you though.

The_DJ

HSC
I think the agec degree is structured differently now. There were 2 junior ag subjects you had to do, now I believe there's just the one. I think they realized that they can squeeze the content of both into one subject. In 1a, we did basic stuff like the commodities Australia produces, comprative advantage, farm budgets and mathy stuff like matrices and differentiation. In 1b we did similar things but with more computer based stuff. But yeah, it shouldn't be too hard, considering I was a lazy ass in my first year and not having much of a math head, getting high credits was pretty good (could have got d's if I did the assignments.. oh well)

I think if you get at least a credit average or higher you might have a chance of a transfer. If not, there is a very strong demand for ag ec grad's!

aleco88

HSC
Thanks for the encouraging words DJ, but I don't know if I can do another year of econometrics. Each week it's getting harder. I hated probability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)