Is there a special way to answer q? (1 Viewer)

Iunny

I never seem to get the perfect answer the teacher wants. I can blab on forever and forever and still get a 4 or 3 out of 6. Is there a special way to answer physic questions? Such as in Economics, by spitting out theories and lining them up with statistics/trends gives you a very good mark. Is there a rule for answering physics questions too?

Thx

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I don't know if you already know this, but I'll say it anyway :p
The key to getting good marks is to pay attention to the verb in the question. (eg Explain, Analyse, Recount)
It details how much info you should give or how detailed and sophisticated you're response should be.
You can blabber all you want, but if you don't answer the question as the verb requires you to, then you will not get the mark you want.
Some verbs require a lot more detail than others.
For example, "Critically Anaylse" requires you to bullshit a lot :p
But you gotta know what to write while you're bullshittin, you can't juss describe the stuff you know...
You gotta closely analyse the question, make comparisons etc esp when dealing with that kinda verb...
So yeh, thats basically it...
Pay attention to the verb in the question. :)
Its a good idea to get a glossary of terms from your teacher if you don't already have one.
They explain to you what level of response a particular verb requires.
Or if you're the lazy type... you can search for one on the net :p
There's bound to be one lurking around somewhere...

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
hmm...if you want to practice getting perfect answers, you must know how the question needs to be answered.

q1. describe the theory of special relativity.
q2. discuss the theory of special relativity.

for q1, you just need to 'describe' it. perhaps giev examples. but for q2, you need to look at the verb discuss. it means to look at both the positives and negatives, or both sides of the argument.

so, yeh the verbs are important.

secondly, if you get trials hsc papers with solutions sheets from cssa, independent neap, etc. it would help ass they show you what you need to have in your answer to get full marks. you just might be missing out on an important point.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
memorise the definition for each of the verbs.

when answering each verb, only talk about the required information, not ones that is not related to the question. this doesnt mean writing short answers as you would have little idea of which piece of information or word the marker may hold in greater relevance/significance. so write down all you know ON topic but dont blabber OFF topic.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
memorise?? it is common sense..
true....just stick 1 infront of ur desk...read key words when answering dot points...it will stay there! wel in most cases but u mite need to learn some!

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i don't know what you people are going on about... i think Iunny knows about key verbs or else he/she wouldn't be scoring 3 or 4 out of 6. :)

i mean who doesn't know about the key verbs. but the difference in getting 4 and getting 6 is much more than the key verbs.

the top "raw" exam marks in hsc science is between 90%-95%. that means the person who came first has lost 5 to 10 marks in the exam. so on average the person who topped the state would only score 4 or 5 for them difficult essay type 6 markers. getting full marks is near impossible like you would never expect to score full marks for an english essay. :)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
just conc on the verbs , also i suggest look at past yrs marking notes , u cud get n idea of wat the markers want.....n then practise writing answers n go thru bks like success one wherein they give answers......
i always had the same prob , lucky i never have 2 do physics again!!!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Its more about answering the verb then answering the question, if it says discuss give pros and negatives etc.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
- concentrate on keywords
- when u reach the Q...underline the *keywords* as if there is more than one thing asked in a Q.....u are likely to miss things!
- on the top left hand side of the page make a plan in dot points...ud get half the marks there!!!
- then write the answer following the plan u made on the side! the plan helps u not to miss important points!
- last but not the least...be confident and go with a view of killing the exam! and use imagination techniques of how happy wud u be when u
d get over the exam!

Good luck :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by lil_star

- then write the answer following the plan u made on the side! the plan helps u not to miss important points!
what the? how do you do that? its kinda dangerous if you write it in pen because if you run out of space as there are limited space on them exams you'll suffer big time. :p

yea plan on some other paper or something if you're a fast writer. all good essays need a plan. :)

the main thing i suggest is that you go study them standard package answers... and read the marking guidelines and learn to mark them sample answers yourself so you know whats a good and bad answer. they its just a matter of applying the good stuff to your own answer. :)

mr_guy99493

HSC
iunny, are you a smart kid,
like really smart?

If you are then you will have a good chance of people getting higher scores than you for crap answers.

Some teachers think that making you work hard, and not succeed makes you work harder,
It made me stop working hard.
So just make sure that there is no point left out in any of your answers, half a page for each answer and the teacher cant mark you down.

Affinity

HSC
Slow down on your reasoning steps, science teachers tend get confused when you jump.

And.. you should consult the english department for advice on this situation.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
If it is a mathematical question, write down all of your known values (eg. velocity, mass etc) in the top right hand corner and make sure that you show all steps in your working.

Iunny

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
the top "raw" exam marks in hsc science is between 90%-95%. that means the person who came first has lost 5 to 10 marks in the exam. so on average the person who topped the state would only score 4 or 5 for them difficult essay type 6 markers. getting full marks is near impossible like you would never expect to score full marks for an english essay. :)
Our english teachers shouldn't be rewarding 10%of the grade with full marks then.

Naughty teachers!

Alright, then its good to know its normal to get 4 or 5 out of 6.

thx guys!

I'll use it when the assessment swings close

btw, standard answers? What are they? Answers that got full marks, written by the students? Or the real answers themselves?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
They look for key words/ideas, and they have a marking scheme which says 6 marks if they get all these ideas, 5 marks if they miss one etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)