Is there a reason for going to lectures at UNSW when they get recorded anyway? (1 Viewer)

CaptainPrice

HSC
Is it a standard that you must go to every lecture? I've heard tuts are a lot more important, how would you describe your attendance for lectures?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to every one of them, simply becausr if I were to go through the slides and textbooks without certain contents/goals (with questions) in my mind, I would waste myself more time

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon attending lectures is a good habit towards learning, only because I get easily distracted if a watch an ECHO360 video from home.

The way how UNSW records its lectures is by audio and activities on the computer OR the use of a document camera.

Its not the same as the recorded videos like those of Richard Buckland's COMP1917 videos on Youtube - in a sense that its not from a video camera or camcorder.

Also because of this, some lecturers use other forms and techniques other than a computer or a document camera. These include an old overhead projector (what Trenerry will use - MATH1081) or the blackboard/whiteboard (what Pahor will use - MATH1131 and Wildberger MATH1081) - judging by your timetable. As a result you will only hear their voice but no 'physical' teaching activity - which can be very hard to learn from.

So yeah, one of the many reasons why attending lectures beats recorded ones! :)

Last edited:

CaptainPrice

HSC
I reckon attending lectures is a good habit towards learning, only because I get easily distracted if a watch an ECHO360 video from home.

The way how UNSW records its lectures is by audio and activities on the computer OR the use of a document camera.

Its not the same as the recorded videos like those of Richard Buckland's COMP1917 videos on Youtube - in a sense that its not from a video camera or camcorder.

Also because of this, some lecturers use other forms and techniques other than a computer or a document camera. These include an old overhead projector (what Trenerry will use - MATH1081) or the blackboard/whiteboard (what Pahor will use - MATH1131 and Wildberger MATH1081) - judging by your timetable. As a result you will only hear their voice but no 'physical' teaching activity - which can be very hard to learn from.

So yeah, one of the many reasons why attending lectures beats recorded ones! :)
Ohh, that sucks, I was under the impression every recording was on par with Richard's lectures, damn.

I'd say skipping some COMP1917 lectures and watching them home would be beneficial, you can speed up some bits and google whilst watching.

Thanks for your thoughts!

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Echo and UNSW in general has its fair share of glitches and there have been several lectures in my experience that haven't recorded at all. As sirable said, it's a good habit but if you had one lecture only for one day, I would consider not trekking to uni.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I skipped most of mine, turned out fine

(by fine, I mean average)

this year I plan to attend most of them

CaptainPrice

HSC
I skipped most of mine, turned out fine

(by fine, I mean average)

this year I plan to attend most of them
I'll try to attend as much as I can, but for ones with decent recordings (COMP1917) I might skip sometimes.

Average yes, but damn, look at that rep bar.

btw, this is my final timetable, thoughts? I swapped out graphics for microeconomics - http://imgur.com/J7Pktop

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll try to attend as much as I can, but for ones with decent recordings (COMP1917) I might skip sometimes.

Average yes, but damn, look at that rep bar.

btw, this is my final timetable, thoughts? I swapped out graphics for microeconomics - http://imgur.com/J7Pktop
imo that looks pretty good. You can skip some tuesdays if you want to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)