Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

Glaciana

HSC
N/A
What's so funny about that? Even if she is 17, you could be 2nd year out of uni at age 23.

nottellingu

HSC
Its not the 6 years but physically there is a heck of alot of difference between a 17yr old female and 23 yr old male.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nottellingu said:
Its not the 6 years but physically there is a heck of alot of difference between a 17yr old female and 23 yr old male.
its entirely subjective, he could be an immature rich boy and she could be the opposite, happens all the time

Dannielle@3

HSC
N/A
The purpose of my post was to let people know that if they are motivated, ambitious and willing to work hard they can achieve great things regardless of what university they attend.

I mentioned my post to my partner and he had a bit of a chuckle.
He is actually up for another pay rise in 6 months when he gets a contract extension. That should hopefully bring him up to just under $100,000.
When you factor in tax, HECS repayments (which he contributes more to than the minimum requirements), superannuation it brings that number down significantly.

Add to that rent, food, car repayments, saving for a wedding and supporting your soon-to-be full time university student fiance'.. well, it just doesn't seem like all that much money ;)

I completed my HSC in 2005 by the way :)

trickx

HSC
Dannielle@3 said:
The purpose of my post was to let people know that if they are motivated, ambitious and willing to work hard they can achieve great things regardless of what university they attend.

I mentioned my post to my partner and he had a bit of a chuckle.
He is actually up for another pay rise in 6 months when he gets a contract extension. That should hopefully bring him up to just under $100,000.
When you factor in tax, HECS repayments (which he contributes more to than the minimum requirements), superannuation it brings that number down significantly.

Add to that rent, food, car repayments, saving for a wedding and supporting your soon-to-be full time university student fiance'.. well, it just doesn't seem like all that much money ;)

I completed my HSC in 2005 by the way :)
What exactly does your boyfriend do, Danielle? Is it even legal?
I mean, not even doctors, lawyers and dentists make that much and they're the highest earnining jobs after graduation as well as the annual salary increases, so do forgive me for being questionable.

lionking1191

HSC
trickx said:
I mean, not even doctors, lawyers and dentists make that much and they're the highest earnining jobs after graduation as well as the annual salary increases, so do forgive me for being questionable.
dentist has the highest average PGY1 salary at 60k, with med and optometry to follow. law is somewhere around 36~45k. this is obviously an average, and gauging the quality of an university by an obvious outlier is far from valid.

good unis guide had a grad salary guide with UNSW ranked 1st, USYD to follow. UWS wasn't in the comparison table unfortunately.

trickx

HSC
lionking1191 said:
dentist has the highest average PGY1 salary at 60k, with med and optometry to follow. law is somewhere around 36~45k. this is obviously an average, and gauging the quality of an university by an obvious outlier is far from valid.

good unis guide had a grad salary guide with UNSW ranked 1st, USYD to follow. UWS wasn't in the comparison table unfortunately.
She claims 87, 000 in second year graduate from UWS when grads from UNSW dont come anywhere near that, even for those prestigious degrees.

lionking1191

HSC
trickx said:
She claims 87, 000 in second year graduate from UWS when grads from UNSW dont come anywhere near that, even for those prestigious degrees.
average unsw grad salary this year is around 58k. usyd is around 53k.

for 87k you are either very very good or very very lucky. or both.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
The are a lot of retards in this thread.

Working as an office monkey, you wont earn that kind of coin as a 2nd year grad, regardless of the uni you have studied at.

Hint: In the fields with high salaries, it's not about the uni you attend. The thing is, most grads are naive and are price-takers, void of any negotiation skills to allow them to be price-makers.

School kids are even more naive in this regard.

Dannielle@3

HSC
N/A
trickx said:
My Fiance' holds a bachelor of Computer science and has also has started certifiying to become a MCPD. He works for HBOS and is in charge of end of day operations for Sydney and London.

Hint: His position is not a junior/graduate roll :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mikey1

HSC
N/A
This is silly,

Its what you make of your degree and how you present yourself in interviews.

I got an estimating job with an architectural firm over UTS, UNSW and UWS students, supposedly they were asked technical questions they just couldn't answer.

I haven't even finished TAFE yet.

Going Uni this year :D, hopefully :p

probably certain courses matter where you study.... most don't.

You people need to realize as well that most of these courses have to meet certain guidelines to achieve the level of a Bachelor.

BTW course is Construction Management.

Just be happy if you get into university, because when I left high school I didn't.

If it bothers you that much you can always transfer after a little while.

starletcharmed

HSC
yer8899 said:
i think UWS is really good. i am not in uni at the moment but i have a couple of friends who go their and say its really good. i dont wanna have to travel into the city everyday so it will be good for me and also i dont require a huge uai in order to get in. i wouldnt worry about the people who say that UWS isnt as good acedemically speaking. employers will be looking at your marks, not at your uni.
Lol. Your friends are pulling your leg

Why would someone call their own Uni shit? Ha ha ha. :lol:

Muchi

HSC
lionking1191: the good university guide is claimed outdated by various associations e.g. ACS whom place many UWS and other university students across to internships/actual jobs and they can earn anywhere from 30,000 > regardless of what university they go to. How much you earn depends on what u do in university. Frankly i think trickz, blue chameleon and yourself are 3 years early, do your research.

starletcharmed: have u ever thought that maybe its good at some fields because it has a good practical approach e.g. communications, law..

trickx

HSC
I just got offered an Academic Scholarship when I didn't even apply for one before the given date. Is that normal?

And $5,000 a year, is that in cash to spend at my own leisure or in terms of HECS?

jenecis

HSC
I just got offered an Academic Scholarship when I didn't even apply for one before the given date. Is that normal?

And $5,000 a year, is that in cash to spend at my own leisure or in terms of HECS?
Yeah, that's normal. UWS gives those scholarships out to the top X number of students by UAI. I received one too (even though I didn't even have UWS down as one of my preferences!) and rejected it, but if I remember correctly, the contract says that you can do whatever you want with it. Using it to pay off your HECS loan is probably a smart option. Well done!

Muchi

HSC
yeah i got that too! im gonna give 3/4 to hecs and rest prob. spend on books etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)