• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is the sc similar to the hsc? (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The exam is supervised in the same way (at my school by the same supervisors).

The marking process is similar except that written responses are single marked whereas at the HSC they are double marked - it takes one week to mark all the History SC exams but two weeks to mark modern history despite the fact that only about 10000 students to Modern compared to over 80000 doing the SC. There are about the same number of markers.

The fact that you do internal assessments in both makes them similar but the SC sees two reports given - one on internal assessments and one on external whereas at the HSC the two results are combined, scaled etc and reported, in the end, as one result.

The best thing about the SC is just the experience of doing the external exams.

jcurry

HSC
cem said:
The exam is supervised in the same way (at my school by the same supervisors).

The marking process is similar except that written responses are single marked whereas at the HSC they are double marked - it takes one week to mark all the History SC exams but two weeks to mark modern history despite the fact that only about 10000 students to Modern compared to over 80000 doing the SC. There are about the same number of markers.

The fact that you do internal assessments in both makes them similar but the SC sees two reports given - one on internal assessments and one on external whereas at the HSC the two results are combined, scaled etc and reported, in the end, as one result.

The best thing about the SC is just the experience of doing the external exams.
so according to you 1 in 8 ppl in yr10 will go on and do modern history

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Apart from the fact they are both external examinations tested by BoS... no not really

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I'd say no even though I'm only in preliminary years. :D

michael1990

HSC
Its the same sort of environment when the external tests come along. But the HSC is a lot more work. And much much more intimidating.

Rampager

HSC
You kidding? The HSC is dramatically damn different to the SC.

The sheer amount of knowledge you're expected to have memorised, and can apply to certain situations, far surpasses any amount of work you will do in your 'junior (9-10)' years. Lets not mention 3 hour long exams, people.

Kidding yourself if you think otherwise. You can get band 6's in the SC by doing nothing, to get a band 6 in the HSC doing nothing... well, good luck.

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
sc is a massive bludge that means absolutely nothing. the hsc on the other hand, isnt so much, especially if youre going for a uai.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Similarities:
- They are both exams
- They both end with "School certificate"

Differences:
- HSC is much harder than SC
- Acing HSC will grant you access to your desired Uni courses; Acing School cert. grants you pride and honour, so you can laugh at friends who got lower than you, only to be laughed at when they beat you in the HSC
- SC is not a bit important unless you leave school at year 10, while HSC can make you a doctor, or a regular salesman.
- In HSC, you choose subjects you want to be assessed on (besides english), where SC is set; you must do everything you hate.
- Workload in HSC is significantly heavier.

Cob-was-here

HSC
nerdsforever said:
is the sc similar to the hsc?
Dont make me laugh! :p

But seriously, it's nothing like it. In the SC, you can get band 6's without even preparing (i did). This contrasts with the HSC, where if you dont study, you basically just get band 2s or 3s if you're lucky. Of course, there are only few people that don't study in one form or another.

Anyway, as people have stated, the only thing similar is the external assessments, and the only similarity there is the fact that you are under proper exam conditions.

I could pick out handfuls of differences, but whats the point? Basically, SC has nothing on HSC. Don't worry though, people do exaggerate the difficulty of the HSC year. If you are continuing on to your HSC year, don't be deterred by what people say, its all just a matter of handing assignments in on time and revising, whether it be constantly or a couple of weeks leading up to exams (or even the night before if you're as unorganised as i used to be).

Anyway, back on topic, as i seem to have missed the point all together, SC is not really much like HSC at all, but you shouldnt let that deter you from the HSC year. ;)

autumn-angel

HSC
School Certificate IST is really hard....

too much memorising,
even IPT is easier in yr 11

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
minijumbuk said:
Differences:
- HSC is much harder than SC/
nah it depends on if you actually choose to do the work and it really is a matter of opinion.

(enigma) said:
sc is a massive bludge that means absolutely nothing. the hsc on the other hand, isnt so much, especially if youre going for a uai.
nah the hsc can be a bludge if you choose not to do the work and the sc isnt a bludge if you choose to work hard.

- Acing HSC will grant you access to your desired Uni courses; Acing School cert. grants you pride and honour, so you can laugh at friends who got lower than you, only to be laughed at when they beat you in the HSC
nah not necessarily some course have other criteria e.g. interview etc. and also some courses dont need rediculously high uais.

- SC is not a bit important unless you leave school at year 10, while HSC can make you a doctor, or a regular salesman.
the hsc doesn't qualify anyone to be a doctor or a salesman.

- Workload in HSC is significantly heavier.
if you choose to do the workload, then yes. :p
but what do you expect you should have been at a more advanced level by the time you do your hsc as two years would have gone by.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
autumn-angel said:
School Certificate IST is really hard....

too much memorising,
even IPT is easier in yr 11
If you think the SC is too much memorising wait till you see the HSC.

The questions in the SC are bullshit. Like in the english one we had to write a speech about building a bridge. Seriously that was probably the worst thing ive ever written and i still got a band 6 for it. Even geography and history and stuff can be bullshitted you just have to know a few basic facts and dates and make up the stuff in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)