Is The NSW HSC Too Easy? (1 Viewer)

Do You Think The New South Wales Higher School Certificate System Is Too Easy?

• Yes

Votes: 44 19.8%
  • No

Votes: 178 80.2%

• Total voters

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I don't think the HSC is easy (it's not really hard either, mind you) but the fact that basic literacy and numeracy is ignored it. How many people did 4U English, couldn't spell? Didn't use basic grammer? And Maths! I know people, very intelligent, who did 3/4U Maths but couldn't grasp General Maths! They had amazing ability in higher level maths, but get them to do the basics of general and they had no idea. Thats what the problem is these days, the basics are ignored and it's showing...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
zenger69 said:
Thats in terms of all teachers having same EMPLOYER
Private schools make up a significant proportion of the NSW education system.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
making questions harder would make a greater distinction between students with higher abilities compare to average students. cos if you have an easy exam, smart people would get marks similar to students who are extremely smart......

Last edited:

rumour

HSC
withoutaface said:
You can get a shit mark in English and own everything else and still get into uni...
:uhhuh:

That is sooo true!!!!!!

That happened to me:p!!!!!!!

EDIT:
No I don't think it is easy at all :eek:!!!!!!!!!!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
for every subject except maths and some parts of physics/chem, you can just learn stuff off by heart and regurgitate it

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
A l said:
As you all may have heard, there are plans to use a nationwide School Certificate system to replace the differences in the state School Certificates to provide convenience for those who wish to go to other states for careers. Apparently every state has different standards and this is regarded as a problem for students wishing to take their careers in other locations.

In New South Wales, the HSC was regarded as "too easy" (meaning standards-setting is too soft on candidates), compared to the other states since 99% of students pass English very easily.

What do you think of the New South Wales Higher School Certificate system?
The VCE is too easy. Not HSC

j_davo24

HSC
The problem is that we don't get taught grammar and basic english skills after about year 7. Instead of making us read 4000 year old poems that are wrtten in some cryptic bullcrap format, maybe they should stick with spelling, grammar and text types.

Ive written that many pointless essays in english I've forgotten some of the other text types, it's lucky theres a template for a letter on Word otherwise i probably wouldn't remember how to set one out.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
gordo said:
for every subject except maths and some parts of physics/chem, you can just learn stuff off by heart and regurgitate it
:uhhuh: i agree with that...most of the hsc is regurgitation except for maths...the hsc has a specific function to assess whether a student is ready for university sudy...i doubt at uni u can just get away with memorising and regurgitating the hsc needs to change esp in sciences when there is a ridiculous amount of english in it (a 7mark q on the history of shipbuilding in teh chemistry hsc is pretty stupid)

tennille

HSC
Personally, I believe the HSC isn't easy. Clearly it has to be a bit difficult in order to distinguish between those who are "better" and those who are not (more like people who can memorise, and those who aren't so great at it). If it gets anymore harder than what it is now, we'd probably have a higher rate of suicides...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
Supra said:
:uhhuh: i agree with that...most of the hsc is regurgitation except for maths...the hsc has a specific function to assess whether a student is ready for university sudy...i doubt at uni u can just get away with memorising and regurgitating the hsc needs to change esp in sciences when there is a ridiculous amount of english in it (a 7mark q on the history of shipbuilding in teh chemistry hsc is pretty stupid)

exactly right,
all the hsc should assess is what uni course you will be able to cope with and complete. period.

the fact that it is criteria/outcome based and you already know before the exam what you have to say in order to get band 6's, the hsc is more of a test of who can actually be bothered prelearning essays and quotes to regurgitate onto the exam paper. I guess in a way, the ones that can be bothered to do that, have in some regards a 'work ethic' which may or may not see them through uni...however, the fact remains, that it is far too easy to gain entry into difficult uni courses by attaining a credential which has so many variables in its founding, most of which, have zip to do with 'work ethic', 'consciensousness' ( spelling :eek: ), or intelligence.

oh and let me add, i don't mean its literally 'easy' to get a good mark, i mean its too easy to get into a uni course that u might not be able to cope with

CrashOveride

HSC
id go even further and say a large part of maths is also regurgitation. do a lot of sample questions and you should be fine (u dont really need to understand the theory behind most things).

leathaface

In NSW, the case of doing good in your English HSC exam, is actually not difficult. Even those with a limited knowledge of the English language have a general idea of how to approach the questions.

Its quite repetative because in essays, the ones where the big marks are at, you just really have to basically look for metahpors and all the language techniques and link it to the question. Usually it seems difficult because examiners put in all these words in the question to make it sound confusing.

And they aren't like Harvard marking system on your ass when they mark your essays.

But then that's just my view...

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeo leathaface i agree wit u there its repetitive and once ur teaher spoon feeds u all u need to do is regurgit8 it in teh exam... and im sure ppl get heaps of help on their rel8ed material...thats anotha thing thats bad bout the hsc...the teaching standards very greatly across the state and some schools who have awesome teachers benefit more and are given a little bit of an advantage...i experienced this when our best english teacher left our school

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Yes. If I can get above 80, anyone can.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
j_davo24 said:
The problem is that we don't get taught grammar and basic english skills after about year 7. Instead of making us read 4000 year old poems that are wrtten in some cryptic bullcrap format, maybe they should stick with spelling, grammar and text types.
LOL i agree!!!!!!!!!

And we dont even have to read the books were studying, all the info we need is handed to us on a silver platter.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Skillo said:
The VCE is too easy. Not HSC
Then why didn't you go do the VCE and get a perfect ENTER?

The only real argument for the HSC being harder than VCE are based on the maths subjects. Even then, it is only because the topics that are taught in HSC maths are as obscure as high school maths in Australia can get. You do realise that different states have different aims as to what they want their students to learn right? Just because induction (which is just about as much of plug and chug as VCE topics), or any other HSC topic for that matter, is not taught in VCE, it doesn't mean that HSC maths is harder. If it is then why do so few students achieve fulls marks on VCE exams? Because we're dumb? No, because if that was the case then you could easily come down to Victoria and get a perfect ENTER now couldn't you?

More on the maths, which many HSC people foolishly think that they can ace(get 100% on) - I'm sure that some can ace them, but the majority are just trying to make sense of their crappy UAIs. You guys learn integration by parts in HSC maths, or should I say integration by plugging and chugging? On the other hand, we only learn integration by substitution so many area based questions require extra thinking - ie. use of symmetry, integration of the inverse etc. So no, VCE maths is not much, if at all, less challenging than HSC maths, given the content which is taught. We are required to do just as much thinking, if not more than that of HSC maths students in exams.

As for your other subjects, they are no more harder than the equivalent ones here. At least here, we don't study in such a way that the study design(ie. your subjects' syllabus) is like our bible. You guys can simply study off 'dot-points' rather than do real study like we do, to get high marks. So really, your dogmatic assertion(or rather, assumption) that VCE is "too easy" is really senseless. HSC physics and chemistry are jokes in my opinion but then again, VCE science is heading down the road of HSC science which isn't exactly a good thing.

Irrespective of the perceived difficulty of any subject, to get a high score you still need to beat the majority of the student cohort. So skillo, since the VCE is so much easier than the HSC why didn't you come down here and top our state? Also, even if you did get some good maths scores, and hence somehow deduce that you would ace VCE maths, it still does not mean that you will get a good score for the maths subjects down here.

Many HSC students think that just because they can get a raw/aligned/whatever final score of say 90% in a HSC maths subject, that they can do the same in VCE maths. Sorry but that isn't the case so stop suggesting that VCE subjects are easier. That is because our subject scores are normally distributed and range from 0 - 50(50 = top 0.2% of state). Based on past VCE statistics, you can get 90% overall for a maths subject and still only get a subject score of around 36/50. That is because the VCE has a real ranking system which is much less likely to mislead students as to what their ability is. I just wanted to point that out to the people who over-rate their ability so that they do not continue to be blinded by their raw scores.

The pass rate means very little if anything at all. Anyone(not affected by some sickness or another related thing) who is not a complete idiot and pays attention in class can pass. Whether or not a subject is too easy is logically, based on whether or not 'excessively large' proportions of students are continually getting full marks and not whether some dumbass can pass a subject.

Many people seem to imply that subjects where you can learn everything and 'regurgitate' your acquired knowledge on the exam, are too easy. Well what do you expect? A system which ranks students on nothing other than their IQ? If so then their would be no point in having a HSC, VCE or any other ranking system which requires students to work. So really, the point of the HSC/VCE/whatever is not to act as a ranking system based on people's IQs. Rather, it is quite clearly a system which identifies those who have an aptitude for learning and those who put in the effort.

Last edited:

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
The UAI is a ranking and not a score, which many people do not seem to get. Thus, you can get relatively low exam scores and still get a certain UAI, depending on how everyone else does. Just because you 'do nothing' and get a decent UAI, it doesn't mean that the HSC is too easy - it just means that many others did not do as well as you. I really don't see how so many people can claim that the HSC is far too easy even though many such people did not even come close to getting a perfect UAI.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)