is the Catholicism thing very prevelant/ influential in the uni? (1 Viewer)

SilentSlide

HSC
N/A
Hiya,

Im from england and looking at studying BA Politics and Journalism at ND, Fremantle campus. Im just wondering how important/evident is the catholic aspect of the uni? im not religous, and although I have no problem at studying at religous institues (I went to a Roman Cathlic primary and Methodist secondary school), I would feel out of place if most of the staff/students hold strong religous views, and don't enjoy the occasional hedonistic outburst.

And while I'm here, If anyone has any opinions about the course, the Uni, or Fremantle, I'd love to hear them, because I haven't even been to WA yet, so its kinda hard to get a feel for the uni and the area.

Thanks!

SilentSlide.

0Jade0

HSC
Frankly, I don't know what most of my lecturers religious views are. Some have said they were 'raised Catholic' and that is it.
Apart from what is taught in the cores (Theology, Ethics, Philosophy) religion isn't discussed much at all (or a in a history unit if you chose to do one). Many of my friends at ND aren't Catholic or aren't religious at all.
Unlike high school, it isn't shoved down your throat.

SilentSlide

HSC
N/A
thanks, sounds cool.
What about the general uni atmosphere? it seems like a fairly small uni (which is my sorta thing), whats the social aspect of the place?
I couldn't see a student union/ clubs or anything on the website like you get at other unis, are they there but just not advertised, or is ND the type of uni you just go in for your lectures, and don't really have much of a social life?
Given that I would be totally new to the place it would be nice to have a fairly social uni so it would be easier to get to know people, and generally settle in.

0Jade0

HSC
Well I am at the Sydney campus which is only 2 years old and we have a couple of clubs. Seeing as Fremantle has been around longer they would have more variety.
But my experience at nd Sydney is that it is a very social uni because of it's small size.

HSC
I recently went on a brief tour of ND Fremantle, and there's definately a huge social atmostphere there. There are student unions and clubs, many relevant directly to each course but also many social clubs as well. The location also encourages a social atmosphere. Since you would be new to the country, this would be brilliant for you.

Just quickly though, since visiting the campus I've been quite drawn to the Politics and Journalism course. I was just wondering what attracted you to it as opposed to others.

SilentSlide

HSC
N/A
im studying ecotourism at flinders (South Australia) at the moment, and ive just finished my first summester, but im just not really enjoying the course.
I was looking at journalism instead because it seems to encompass/ be related to a range of things im interested in (pilosophy, history, politics, current affairs...), while having a practical, real-world application (I wouldn't know what to do with a philosophy degree???).
Theres a fair few unis im looking at, but I prefer smaller, more personal places (the griffith uni journo course looks really good, but they hve 30,000 students!), so thats one of the things that has made ND stand out.
My only real concern is that ND seems to rank really low (bottom on some) in rankings of australian unis, but I'm not sure if that bothers me too much, as long as I get a degree that is useful, and have fun along the way.

So its your turn now... tell me, what is it about the P&J course that attracted you? And what other courses are you considering studying?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)