Is the academic system fucked? (1 Viewer)

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I was having dinner with one of my lecturers who is a professor and when I asked him what he thought of the share market and if he was into it, he replied 'You may as well go down to your local TAB and throw your money on lucky number 13'.

Isn't that great? I guess if you knew how to make money you wouldn't be teaching finance would you?

Pika

HSC
N/A
You asked him aquestion, he gave you answer.......

Dont be bitter because it was not what you wanted to hear.

BronwynKate

HSC
That's the sort of thing my Uncle Kevin would say.

And my maths teacher up to year 10, David Ryan.

(Did drop maths in VCE as it wasn't worth the stress, and I do know most of the maths, for instance, to negotiate a writing contract).

The stock market really is a matter of luck. So many have the illusion that they can control it. It's very big! Think of Nick and Barings Bank in England way back in 1995.

Yes, the academic system is messed up in a lot of ways. You have corrupt professors and so on...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Which lecturer was this Cyph? I am guessing Steve Easton? He seems to say a lot of stuff like that but you would expect that considering he is an academic and they would tend to believe in the EMH. Anyway, I am with Master Yoda in saying why were you having dinner with one of your lecturers:p?

Ricky09

HSC
The share market is about luck, but you can minimise that luck by maximising research. I'm only 17 and managed to pick shares that went up 123% in 16 days. Do your own research basically.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
You're also a lying bullshit artist.

No ASX listed company has recently gone up 123% in 16 days you cunt. Don't lie to me Argentina.

Dumb idea to lie in a uni forum where people will actually realise when you're wrong.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Ricky09 said:
Haha.

EXT, you fucking idiot.

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/...de=EXT&TimeFrame=D6&compare=index&indices=XJO

Not to metnion numerous other companies that do the same.

You obviously don't look at very hish risk stock.
Have you even read the graph?
It's comparing ASX prices (which vary by 50% over the course of half a year) with self-assessed consistant consolidated asset growth value.

P.S - That Toro stock jumped me...sorz. There's something dicey in that.

Ricky09

HSC
So can people now accept the fact i was right. Seems people like starting shit for no reason.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
We still dont know why Cyph was having dinner with his lecturer??? Perhaps some sexual favours as well for a few more marks???

Nice Cyph, I like your style.... pity all the educatio lecturers are female... kinda cancels me out doesn't it?? Now I know why the two guys topped the dance course last semester!! hmmmmmmm *ponders*

celcast

HSC
Let me guess it was either

Steve Easton
Neil Hartnett
Joel Winston

Its the biggest load of bull ive ever heard, its why lecturers arent rich. Theres two sides to the stockmarket

Investing in companies - your investing in growth.
However If your trading its more risky - but even then its no where near gambling unless you dont know what your doing. Sure theres the always risk in it, but thats life - in any business or profession.

Where did you go for dinner?

Im very wary of anyone who did well in Finance at Newcastle - all the teachers ive had for it are terrible and very little of it is based on real world knowledge.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
You're all just jealous :D

I'm not going to give a name.

SJ, if anyone could turn a woman around, it'd be you. ;)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry... there're always people who like to make up random things to pretend they are some expert. I'm just surprised at how quickly some people give themselves away by making inaccurate statements that are easily verified.

Just to add to the list of stocks that have sky-rocketed in 16 days, BTA... anyone?

For some people, the ASX seems to be just BHP. Of course it's not going to go up 123% in 16 days when they have a market cap over 100 billion dollars.

And finally... the aforementioned banks that collapsed engaged in 'trading', which is more akin to gambling (I'm not saying it's gambling).

There are people out there who 'invest' in stocks for long-term growth. And when you invest, there're things called stop losses and trailing stop losses... thus I don't know how it's gambling as in double or nothing.

And finally... just to name a living prove that investing can yield big returns, just go read anything about Warren Buffett. Of course, there's only one Warren and people are going to start telling me how what he's done is just unrealistic for the ordinary person.

Well... let me remind you of this. Running a successful multimillion-dollar business, becoming Prime Minister of Australia and launching a career after graduation as a trader in Goldman Sachs is also very unrealistic for a lot of people.. especially for someone who isn't even aware of the fact that stocks can more than double in 16 days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)