Is Terry Lee's Tuition good? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I want to attend a new mathematics tuition next year for yr 11 (U3+U4) and I wondering if anyone has heard about Terry Lee's Tuition. If so, how excellent does he teach?, how much does it cost? and how many students are there in a class?

Thank You :jedi:

peterayre

HSC
Hmmmm i went to terry lee myself.. its good and bad in a lot of ways and depends what your looking for... ill briefly explain my experience

well firstly the cost is 1k per term, thats like 60hours of lessons & works out to ~16$/hr (which is relatively cheap compared to other places). He runs his 3u and 4u classes so that your essentially there for 7 hours with 1 hour break. If i remember correctly its 9am-12pm 3u and 1pm-4pm 4u.

In terms of work he structures classes so that you work ahead of school, personally i found this distracting as it would be so far ahead of school that it was no longer relevant to my comming exams, i think he tries to finish the whole course by like half way thru term2 when my school only just finished before trials (term3 end). This ment i started skipping classes (to study for my school exams, 7hours prep before exam is a LOT of study) but then i started not learning topics properly and missing whole sections of work. In the end my knowledge was too fragmented and i had to change to a less intensive tuition center.

If you can cope with putting that amount of hours into maths alone (and maths that isnt what your going to be immediately assessed on at school, ie future exam maths) then terry lee is actually quite a good teacher, he has a lot of tricks and techniques that can really push you ahead and help you deal with the work. He explains things in a way that is simple and concise, out of all the maths teachers ive had (probably 3-4 for senior years) he probably had the best ability for communicating a point to a student.

The other problem i faced is that terry lee does work INSANELY fast, he would set half an excercise or something for classwork and by the time you've finished with question 2 he's already writing up solutions, so in order to keep up you end up literally just copying from the board. If you are a VERY high achieving student, probably 96/97 in 4u or more then this will benefit you, but more average students will struggle with the load.

& to me, the time is just too much, me and my friends use to go crazy... everything is at breakneck speed and its for such a long duration of time.. i remember by the end of term1 i had filled up 9 maths 128 page work booklets, literally writing about 60-90 pages per day at terry lee + school.

In the end yeah for me, i couldnt spend 7hours on the weekend (+downtime after) studying maths that was 6months ahead of where i was at school, you stop doing your homework and attending all the classes etc and its really hard.

If you are a very dedicated student and you think you can make it through all the hours etc, then definately i would recommend terry lee, he explains methods that no one else does and in a manner thats so easy to understand; but if you cant cope with those kinda hours then id think twice. the classes have around 20 students and as i said its break neck pace, so if your the kinda student who needs a bit more attention and asks a lot of questions, then perhaps a smaller, less intensive tuition center is better for you.

conclusion
high achieving students with time = very good tutor, push you ahead for the really high marks
mediocre students = struggle with the load, personally recommend smaller group tutor

EDIT: if you live close to strathfield and are looking for an institution kinda tutor, id recommend matrix, they run pretty evenly with school and the classes area easy to keep up with. theres also a lot of support and your work is always marked (& tested weekly i think). oh and you work off preset booklets so if you miss a lesson, catching up isnt too bad, same cost but less hours, so kinda more expensive

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Seven hours on maths alone... WOW
Are there trial classes?, I want to see if I'm able to adapt to the pace.

lychnobity

HSC
Yes, he is a very very good tutor. I used to be the worse student at Terry Lee to be honest. And I find I can keep up with the pace - I'm not particularly shit or anything, I'm just not as super as the top end guys.

If you're willing to put aside the "stigma" of asking questions, you're good to go. Most of the Terry Lee students struggle because they DON'T ask questions. In all honesty those lesser able students are very capable, they just get stuck every once in a while and are too embarassed to ask him for help.

3 hours/class may seem long, but since it's a very fast paced class, it goes by pretty quick - I find it an extremely good environment to work in because it forces you to learn and apply everything immediately. Also good for sorting out what you do and don't know very quickly, cuts the crap and gets you help earlier. Getting the basics for the first 30 mins of the class is important especially for the harder concepts later on in the class.

You normally get 2 breaks/class so you do get a breather (can play table tennis during the 10-15 min break).

In terms of his teaching, he is to the point. He doesn't give you the "introductory" crap that school teachers give you, he goes straight into it. Very concise, knows his stuff extremely well, and teaches you quick and simple methods. He also gets his point across effectively, he can explain everything and anything in logical terms.

Also teaches things that are very relevant to the HSC, knows where you can afford to skip steps and where you can't.

He checks your work thoroughly to make sure you know what you're doing, attentive to every student in the class.

If you're planning to accelerate, make sure you're up to the standard.

If you can't hack 7 hours in one go, you can split it up, he runs the same yr 12 level courses on saturdays and sundays, so you can go 3u on one day, 4u on the other. Prelim maths is on Friday I think.

His website: HSC Coaching

Last edited:

peterayre

HSC
eh, i scored 95 in 4u, and most of my friends scored 90+... and we all struggled with the speed at one point or another.. doesn't leave room to be confused at all lol

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, he is a very very good tutor. I used to be the worse student at Terry Lee to be honest. And I find I can keep up with the pace - I'm not particularly shit or anything, I'm just not as super as the top end guys.

If you're willing to put aside the "stigma" of asking questions, you're good to go. Most of the Terry Lee students struggle because they DON'T ask questions. In all honesty those lesser able students are very capable, they just get stuck every once in a while and are too embarassed to ask him for help.

3 hours/class may seem long, but since it's a very fast paced class, it goes by pretty quick - I find it an extremely good environment to work in because it forces you to learn and apply everything immediately. Also good for sorting out what you do and don't know very quickly, cuts the crap and gets you help earlier. Getting the basics for the first 30 mins of the class is important especially for the harder concepts later on in the class.

You normally get 2 breaks/class so you do get a breather (can play table tennis during the 10-15 min break).

In terms of his teaching, he is to the point. He doesn't give you the "introductory" crap that school teachers give you, he goes straight into it. Very concise, knows his stuff extremely well, and teaches you quick and simple methods. He also gets his point across effectively, he can explain everything and anything in logical terms.

Also teaches things that are very relevant to the HSC, knows where you can afford to skip steps and where you can't.

He checks your work thoroughly to make sure you know what you're doing, attentive to every student in the class.

If you're planning to accelerate, make sure you're up to the standard.

If you can't hack 7 hours in one go, you can split it up, he runs the same yr 12 level courses on saturdays and sundays, so you can go 3u on one day, 4u on the other. Prelim maths is on Friday I think.

His website: HSC Coaching
So with a little bit of fortitude and resilience I'll be able to cope? I also want to attend another tuition that can excellently cater for english, do you know of any english only tutions?

lychnobity

HSC
So with a little bit of fortitude and resilience I'll be able to cope? I also want to attend another tuition that can excellently cater for english, do you know of any english only tutions?
Yeah. As much as he can help, it's useless if you don't work on it. And get over the asking questions embarassment.

I don't really believe English tutoring helps to be honest, but if I were to recommend you one, I'd go with this Mr Tishler guy. I don't know much but I had him for a seminar once, and he was good (doesn't work at that centre anymore).

Go look at the tutoring reviews section.

Yunhong zhang

HSC
Hmmmm i went to terry lee myself.. its good and bad in a lot of ways and depends what your looking for... ill briefly explain my experience

well firstly the cost is 1k per term, thats like 60hours of lessons & works out to ~16$/hr (which is relatively cheap compared to other places). He runs his 3u and 4u classes so that your essentially there for 7 hours with 1 hour break. If i remember correctly its 9am-12pm 3u and 1pm-4pm 4u.

In terms of work he structures classes so that you work ahead of school, personally i found this distracting as it would be so far ahead of school that it was no longer relevant to my comming exams, i think he tries to finish the whole course by like half way thru term2 when my school only just finished before trials (term3 end). This ment i started skipping classes (to study for my school exams, 7hours prep before exam is a LOT of study) but then i started not learning topics properly and missing whole sections of work. In the end my knowledge was too fragmented and i had to change to a less intensive tuition center.

If you can cope with putting that amount of hours into maths alone (and maths that isnt what your going to be immediately assessed on at school, ie future exam maths) then terry lee is actually quite a good teacher, he has a lot of tricks and techniques that can really push you ahead and help you deal with the work. He explains things in a way that is simple and concise, out of all the maths teachers ive had (probably 3-4 for senior years) he probably had the best ability for communicating a point to a student.

The other problem i faced is that terry lee does work INSANELY fast, he would set half an excercise or something for classwork and by the time you've finished with question 2 he's already writing up solutions, so in order to keep up you end up literally just copying from the board. If you are a VERY high achieving student, probably 96/97 in 4u or more then this will benefit you, but more average students will struggle with the load.

& to me, the time is just too much, me and my friends use to go crazy... everything is at breakneck speed and its for such a long duration of time.. i remember by the end of term1 i had filled up 9 maths 128 page work booklets, literally writing about 60-90 pages per day at terry lee + school.

In the end yeah for me, i couldnt spend 7hours on the weekend (+downtime after) studying maths that was 6months ahead of where i was at school, you stop doing your homework and attending all the classes etc and its really hard.

If you are a very dedicated student and you think you can make it through all the hours etc, then definately i would recommend terry lee, he explains methods that no one else does and in a manner thats so easy to understand; but if you cant cope with those kinda hours then id think twice. the classes have around 20 students and as i said its break neck pace, so if your the kinda student who needs a bit more attention and asks a lot of questions, then perhaps a smaller, less intensive tuition center is better for you.

conclusion
high achieving students with time = very good tutor, push you ahead for the really high marks
mediocre students = struggle with the load, personally recommend smaller group tutor

EDIT: if you live close to strathfield and are looking for an institution kinda tutor, id recommend matrix, they run pretty evenly with school and the classes area easy to keep up with. theres also a lot of support and your work is always marked (& tested weekly i think). oh and you work off preset booklets so if you miss a lesson, catching up isnt too bad, same cost but less hours, so kinda more expensive

Please share terry lee contact number
Could not find on google, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)