Is repeating year 11 a good idea? (1 Viewer)

future_unknown

HSC
This year has been horrible. First semester I moved schools and v-graded the majority of my classes due to attendance. When I was in the new school I was doing fine, until I stopped enjoying my classes and then I just stopped going again. I am probably going to v-grade most of my classes this semester as well. It's not that I don't do the work, I just don't enjoy anything and there's nothing that I'm really good at. I do want to go to university, although I have no clue what I would study. I don't have enough majors to get an ATAR (in ACT) the way I'm going and there are other classes I want to do, and there are some I want to drop.

At the moment I'm taking:
Sociology
English
Maths
Global Studies
Economics

I think I want to take:
English
History
Maths
Economics
Some type of science
Spanish or Outdoor Ed

My grades from this year also haven't been the best, probably because I just haven't been bothered to try. Any advice on what I should do would be great.

Also at the moment I'm 15 and I turn 16 in November, if I don't repeat I'll have just turned 17 when I finish year 12.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I think you'll find that most people here don't know how the ACT system works. I assume 'v-grade' is the same as our 'N-award'.

If you want to go to uni but can't get an ATAR, then you really have no option but to repeat.
I suggest dropping out immediately, re-enrolling in year 11 for next year, and spending the next 3 and a bit months working and evaluating your career options.

ClassOf2013

HSC
My friend did this but in Year 12, it was the best decision he ever made. He dropped out after getting back his trials (about halfway through term 3), so it gave him a bit of time to study, but also to relax a bit too. He found Year 12 work a lot easier when he did go back (in term 4), aced his half yearlies, aced his trials and is acing his HSC.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh that's a tricky one, for HSC kids I always harp on about how repeating yr 11 is a waste, but ACT yr11/12 both years count right? Or at least you need to set your yr11 subs to be able to achieve enough 'majors' for an ATAR?

Definitely talk to many teachers/career advisors and what their input it.

You are quite young so repeating would actually make you the same age as your peers graduating, so it wouldn't be as bad. Only advocate it if it's 100% necessary though. Which I don't know the ACT system well enough to say. So yeah, repeat only if you have to or it's overwhlemingly in your best interest.

If you want to go to university, you gotta try and get an ATAR, if it's possible to pick up from yr 12 even if it's not the best and pursue pathways and transferring do that. If you have to do yr 11 again to set you on a tertiary path, it may be best to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)