Is memorising essays such a bad idea? Discuss. This has probs come up before, but... (1 Viewer)

Jaguar33

HSC
I understand the flaws to memorising, as such like we don't know the questions that will be given to us. *i wish*

Though if we really make an essay before hand, touching on all aspects of the syllabus, themes, quotes, techniques, different aspects of the set text etc. I believe it would work, but it's really a matter of knowing how to adapt your essay into the question.

So really, would you be better off learning throughout the year how to adapt an essay to any question or memorising 'quotes and techniques' as other people say? Like if we make a memorised essay + reading the text etc then we're also basically getting the same intimate knowledge that people who just memorised quotes and techniques did (as they are highly confident they can produce an essay for it on anything.) Though i'm sort of those people, who get this insecurity when i'm writing and feel as though nothing sounds right perhaps because it doesn't or the pressure of the exam.Or just the fact that you know there is always going to be someone better than you. idk.

I'm really confused and questioning this because i really believe that i don't express myself as fluidly as i like when i just have quotes and techniques, my argument structure becomes baffled. Though, with a memorised essay i feel more secure that all my sentences link and flow together, if you know what i mean?

This also makes me question about moving to standard :/ Thus maybe, i wouldn't have such pressure as our teacher in eng adv expects so high in comparison to the standard class as legit their teacher doesn't believe in them. My friend used a little more sophisticated words then she would usually do, and the teacher marked it as plagiarism when she really had not. Though, is it true that say your eng adv mark was 15/20 and you did the same exam in a standard booklet, wouldn't your mark be like 17/18 out of 20 due to the large percentage of people that are inadequate in standard? (in terms of quality and effort) & yes in the end i know it will probs align low.. though is it better to get in the top 3 rank for eng standard, or like 12th/20 for eng adv?

Please discuss,

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Re: Is memorising essays such a bad idea? Discuss. This has probs come up before, bu

IMO; no

astroman

HSC
Re: Is memorising essays such a bad idea? Discuss. This has probs come up before, bu

tl;dr, but i make my essays during reading time and get 100%

Intrinsic

HSC

tl;dr, but i make my essays during reading time and get 100%
Teachers are not allowed to drink alcohol or take any drugs while marking...

Fade1233

HSC
N/A

Yes It is essential for people like me who can't formulate a good response at the spot. Even memorising the essay and just copying it down without adapting would get me more marks than if I were to formulate a response at the spot. So Yes if you are like me then its essential.

Verify

HSC

All you need to do is answer the question.

Make sure you do that.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Unless you are double lift, gl pumping out a band 6 essay on the spot

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

All you need to do is answer the question.

Make sure you do that.
This should be your focus. Answering the given question is the priority, applying your knowledge to the question is a must, regardless of what study method you use, you have to make sure at the end of the day you are answering the question-because that's where you are going to get marks from, not for writing a perfect essay that doesn't address the question, but for writing an essay specifically answering the question.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Teachers are not allowed to drink alcohol or take any drugs while marking...

I've had coffee/tea stains on my assessments so they take drugs in some form whilst marking.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Depends on the person. I've found it really improved my marks this year.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad

Yes It is essential for people like me who can't formulate a good response at the spot. Even memorising the essay and just copying it down without adapting would get me more marks than if I were to formulate a response at the spot. So Yes if you are like me then its essential.
Unless you are double lift, gl pumping out a band 6 essay on the spot
Solid performance in English is not about natural aptitude. That is a bullshit myth that people keep perpetuating because it gives them an excuse for failing to improve. Hawkrider's testimony over the past few months is excellent evidence that if you keep writing, writing, writing, you will eventually get a feel for it. You may not be cranking out Band 6 essays every time in exams, because shit happens. But you will be performing decently, on a consistent basis, and your results will be FAR better than if you just memorise essays.

I think of memorising essays as like crafting the most perfect circular peg in the world, and hoping to whatever deity you believe in that your enemy doesn't serve you up a square. Or a triangle.

The issue is that the vast majority of schools teach English as "texts and values and other BS" rather than teaching good writing skills first. Whereas it should be that you learn HOW to write first, and only then start talking about WHAT to write.

OP - and anyone else here - I challenge you to try the short courses on my new English training platform once it launches, and apply them to your English study on a regular basis. Don't cram; write. I'm genuinely curious to see how things turn out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)