Is Macq Law better than UTS law? (1 Viewer)

asyz

HSC
Hi im doing my HSC this year and will have to submit my preferences for uni soon. i was wondering whether Macquarie Law is better than UTS law?

I'd like to do Arts (history/politics) with law and UTS doesnt offer history but social inquiry. however, the UTS UAI is higher...so im just confused :S if i go to macq then id get to do history. but if UTS law is better then I'll just stick with social inquiry.

please help =)

toodles

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
First, UAI does not mean something is inherently 'better'. Having said that I think UTS is slightly ahead on prestige compared to MQ law.

Secondly, MQ has one of the best history departments of any university in NSW (and I'd bet the AHST would be one of the best in Australia).

HSC
N/A
ko0l said:
it is? i hear that ppl who do law/business at uts feel its a bit bludgy. uts prestigious? lol i think its a relatively new uni, anyway what's more important are the staff qualifications as well as how long the course has been taught. if it has been taught for a long time, then maybe it has been updated or something regularly.

that's becuz your doing some ancient history therefore you support it.. isnt it obvious?

why goes uts for law, go usyd or unsw. unsw has a nice law building which is pretty much modernised go check it out, you'd be amazed how nice unsw's law building looks in comparison to other unis.
Actually it's pretty well-known that MQ has some of the best Ancient History and Psychology in NSW/Australia, both in terms of staff skills/knowledge/qualifications, and course structure (MQ psych for example, requires stats at all levels).

I think it's best that you actually attend the Open Days and/or speak to academic advisors before making assumptions about particular universities and how some of their degrees are run.

antisheep

HSC
asyz... everyone you talk to is going to tell you that their uni is the best and that goes for academics too... by all means talk to them, it's an important part of the process... but talk to other people too... anyone in the industry that you know... etc...

everyone will be proud of their institution and so want people to choose it... try to go to someone a bit less biased. Also one question that i loved asking on open days was "what is the weakest point of the degree?"... usually students will be fairly candid about this question and you can find out what people really think.

HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
asyz... everyone you talk to is going to tell you that their uni is the best and that goes for academics too... by all means talk to them, it's an important part of the process... but talk to other people too... anyone in the industry that you know... etc...

everyone will be proud of their institution and so want people to choose it... try to go to someone a bit less biased. Also one question that i loved asking on open days was "what is the weakest point of the degree?"... usually students will be fairly candid about this question and you can find out what people really think.

possibly the smartest response to this question ever. Don't ask those types of questions on these forums, because generally people are relatively uninformed.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*yawn*

You're going to get a similar response from people 'in the industry'.

Law outside of USYD/UNSW is pretty much all on the same scale. Will this hinder your chances at a major firm? Maybe, maybe not, your degree won't guarantee you a job however, no matter how prestigious, if you can't be the cream of the crop in your designated field for something as competitive as law.

All the crap about 'bias' and industry experts etc, meh, they're about as helpful in figuring out which uni is best for you as a stranger on the street. Seriously, if you hate the course, the fact it might be 'industry recognised' isn't going to help you if you hate the fact you have to come to class every day.

I take offence to what antisheep said about everyone telling you this purported uni pride, a few members here will attest to you that I'll be one of the first to discredit and point out exactly what is wrong with the media department at MQ. Heck i've told people squarely that the degree and the place may not be the best place for them if they're looking for a certain experience.

She then says that by asking the same people what the weakest part of the degree is, that suddenly we're going to be candid about it, and thus trustworthy, but not about the positive aspects. Why can't we fulfill both roles I ask? Yes everyone wants you to do their course, but we're not sadists, nor do we deserve to be discredited for our advice.

Heck why bother even responding on these threads if we're all just petty and uninformed about degrees which we've encountered, we've gone through and have felt are in/adequate as students?

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I agree with Mike.

I'll tell you what's bad with MQ law: You waste a whole year on non-substantive BS.

For some unknown reason, MQ takes the position that students should be indoctrinated in the ways of Jurisprudence and the Intro to Law units before going any further. Despite the normal system (of doing substantive law from the get go) working for over 100 years in this country, MQ wastes new law students time and gets them to only do two subjects in their first year.

If I was just doing a law degree to become a lawyer, I'd go to UTS and not waste a whole year.

However, if I were doing law for both degrees (as most people are...) I'd see which non-law part I liked more - ie, for example, journalism at UTS vs archaeology at MQ. Imo, the easiest thing to do is to pretend like you're not doing law, and to choose based on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

antisheep

HSC
AsyLum said:
*yawn*

You're going to get a similar response from people 'in the industry'.

Law outside of USYD/UNSW is pretty much all on the same scale. Will this hinder your chances at a major firm? Maybe, maybe not, your degree won't guarantee you a job however, no matter how prestigious, if you can't be the cream of the crop in your designated field for something as competitive as law.

All the crap about 'bias' and industry experts etc, meh, they're about as helpful in figuring out which uni is best for you as a stranger on the street. Seriously, if you hate the course, the fact it might be 'industry recognised' isn't going to help you if you hate the fact you have to come to class every day.

I take offence to what antisheep said about everyone telling you this purported uni pride, a few members here will attest to you that I'll be one of the first to discredit and point out exactly what is wrong with the media department at MQ. Heck i've told people squarely that the degree and the place may not be the best place for them if they're looking for a certain experience.

She then says that by asking the same people what the weakest part of the degree is, that suddenly we're going to be candid about it, and thus trustworthy, but not about the positive aspects. Why can't we fulfill both roles I ask? Yes everyone wants you to do their course, but we're not sadists, nor do we deserve to be discredited for our advice.

Heck why bother even responding on these threads if we're all just petty and uninformed about degrees which we've encountered, we've gone through and have felt are in/adequate as students?
whoa... i was just saying what i found useful in choosing my initial degree... the fact of the matter is that there's a difference between what reps that come to your school tell you and when you just talk to the students... there really is. I don't know where I caused offense... the fact of the matter is, what i was trying to say is that there's no point coming on a macquarie board and asking which is better, macquarie or uts law? Same goes for going on a UTS board and asking the same question. How many people on this board have done both? I was trying to offer some better places to get info...

I'm honestly sorry if i've pissed you off, I'm sure that you're very well informed about your degree and i'd never say that you, or anyone on these boards weren't... i can only speak from my personal experience and the thing is when it comes to the typical "clash of the unis" it's very rare to have someone say "you know what... go the other guy!" (even though I know pwaryuex has done exactly that just above me) and the reason i say ask about the flaws of the degrees is, what i found alot of people saying is "here are the problems with my degree... but DO IT ANYWAY!" which is fine, it still has that push to do it... but you find out a couple of things that could be an advantage/disadvantage if you were to decide to go there. that was where my point was coming from... i may not have explained it well but whatever...

one thing is that the industry slant is important I reckon... yes, you still have to do a course that you're passionate about and want to do, but if there's several you're tossing up between or anything like that, then i personally think talking to the people who will hopefully be employing you in 5 years time is a good idea, or even just someone you know who's working in the industry can be good i think... it's just my opinion.

Of course i took advice from students in choosing my course... that's why i said it's an important part of the process... i just don't think there's any harm in looking further...

anyways, again, sorry

maka

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah I agree with Mike.

I'll tell you what's bad with MQ law: You waste a whole year on non-substantive BS.

For some unknown reason, MQ takes the position that students should be indoctrinated in the ways of Jurisprudence and the Intro to Law units before going any further. Despite the normal system (of doing substantive law from the get go) working for over 100 years in this country, MQ wastes new law students time and gets them to only do two subjects in their first year.

If I was just doing a law degree to become a lawyer, I'd go to UTS and not waste a whole year.

However, if I were doing law for both degrees (as most people are...) I'd see which non-law part I liked more - ie, for example, journalism at UTS vs archaeology at MQ. Imo, the easiest thing to do is to pretend like you're not doing law, and to choose based on that.

Where is MQ and some PLT so we can ditch the College of Law. Thats where UTS has MQ Law I believe. 8 electives could be reduced to 4 and a semester of PLT introduced.

Just my call on the differences. I love MQ take home assessments though too except the big 100% final one day take home. Is procrastination a good enough excuse for an extension?

X

xeuyrawp

maka said:
Where is MQ and some PLT so we can ditch the College of Law. Thats where UTS has MQ Law I believe. 8 electives could be reduced to 4 and a semester of PLT introduced.
Good point, although I think internal PLT should be optional, so people could do it at College of Law if that's what they wanted.

X

xeuyrawp

arashnaebkhil said:
These posts are realling irritating and annoying. Can you guys stop all this nonsense and seriously, stop caring what is better. UTS is better ok thats it. Ill gladly swap my degree for anyone who does business/Law at UTS.
Rofl. If you think it's a simple matter of one uni's degree being better than another, you're going to have a pretty short and shit career. :)

maka

HSC
Mate,

No one cares about a degree once you are in the industry. Keep trying for your UTS degree if you want. If you want it and dont like MQ, theres nothing stopping you trying to go to UTS.

It is more about the attitude and aptitude you show in your job.

Many times in getting a job, it isnt your transcript getting you over the line but work experience and co curricular activities.

PS: Pwar, PLT would be optional. Whats funny is that supposedly only 50% of graduates will actually do College of Law and practice.

antisheep

HSC
arashnaebkhil said:
These posts are realling irritating and annoying. Can you guys stop all this nonsense and seriously, stop caring what is better. UTS is better ok thats it. Ill gladly swap my degree for anyone who does business/Law at UTS.
seems kinda ironic that you say people shouldn't care what's better then announce which is.

UTS's law degree has alot of great things about it but all my friends doing it last year had alot of complaints which to be honest deterred me... but then again there were alot of people who loved it, couldn't get enough of it, wanted to make out with it. The fact of the matter is that there's no degree that every single person that signs on to it will love (in my opinion)

maka

HSC
Essentially in the most simplistic of terms, all degree in the long term are just stepping stones into an industry.

and antisheep.... who makes out with degrees?

antisheep

HSC
maka said:
Essentially in the most simplistic of terms, all degree in the long term are just stepping stones into an industry.

and antisheep.... who makes out with degrees?
meh... it could happen... lol... stranger things have happened I'm sure.

sometimes i don't think when i type and it shows =p haha.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Rofl. If you think it's a simple matter of one uni's degree being better than another, you're going to have a pretty short and shit career. :)
Nah brah, he's tuff like yalla habib.

HSC
hey guys,
who stayed back for the lunch after the law welcome thing? i listened to the speeches etc, but didnt stay back for the food because the weather was too cold for my liking... :rolleyes:
how was it and what exactly did u do?

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
asyz said:
Hi im doing my HSC this year and will have to submit my preferences for uni soon. i was wondering whether Macquarie Law is better than UTS law?

I'd like to do Arts (history/politics) with law and UTS doesnt offer history but social inquiry. however, the UTS UAI is higher...so im just confused :S if i go to macq then id get to do history. but if UTS law is better then I'll just stick with social inquiry.

please help =)

toodles
The UTS UAI might be higher, but that neglects that anybody in a disadvantaged area such as Fairfield ;) lol gets in 10 points below the final cutoff, whereas at Macquarie, they get 4. I know people from my school who got 87, 89 etc who got into Law at UTS when 97 was the cutoff. There were a LOT who got in below the cutoff, and for westy students (such as myself), the cutoff for Macquarie was effectively higher than the UTS cutoff.

Also, because of this, many people think that the UTS course is better because it has a higher UAI, and therefore pick it, so you can't go off UAI.

I can't comment on either course (not being a law student) but I know that in Macquarie, you do more of the law subjects later on rather than early (only doing one subject a semester in first year) which would be good if you decided that law isn't for you, because you wouldn't be far behind in your other degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)