is law ok?? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
And yeah, if anyone says I'm wrong (read previous posts) please tell the board. I'm not a law student, I just analyse brains!

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think being good at maths is also helpful. A lot of law is logic and being able to draw inductive/deductive conclusions.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
good thing i got Law as first preference cos i do economics, modern, 4u eng and 3u maths..

doing well enough in them.. therein lies the problem

guesswho

HSC
hey Lexicographer, are u worried that u won't cope with Law or u won't get into Law?

If it's the latter, then u should be aware that the cut offs for Law range from 99.6 to 90 (or even lower at small colleges..) and I heard from someone somewhere that the Law degree u end up with is the same no matter which uni u graduate...i might be wrong though...

I like yourself wanted to get into med but now thats over i guess we have to consider other choices... Law is not a bad one...
Also if you're really determine to get into med then there's always the med science at sydney uni which those (who are really determined to get into medicine) will...eventually.

Finally from the posts after my initial one, it appears every subjects helps in some way in Laws... My original Q's were:

1. What qualities do u need to do well (or cope with) in LAW.

2.What's the main subject that Law relies on from high school..english , legal studies..debating.???

3. What are the main form of assessments in Law?...essays?..presentations.?..

4. Also does the uni u graduate from make that much of a difference? Since sydney and unsw seem quite difficult to get into.

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
To clarify - when i said maths was important before, i didn't mean that law exams regularly require you to differentiate. Just in terms of thinking though - a lot of logical processes are related more to mathematical thinking than english. But then again, innovation to get around precedents etc is also needed...I just think ppl who don't necessarily do only humanities subjects at school should know that it doesnt necessarily preclude them from doing well in law :)

They say on applications that "excellent english expression" is expected (hehehe alliteration)...so yes english skills are obviously useful. :rolleyes:

Reading quickly and being able to retain what you read would be a *huge* advantage. I read fast, but tend to skim, so that doesnt help me too much in law, coz there have been a few instances where i've just *completely* missed the point of a case :rolleyes: :shy:

edit: as for debating...far be it from what ally mcbeal may suggest, we dont spend law class standing up and abusing one another verbally. I was nervous about that aspect because I'm a non-debater and a bit shy vis a vis public speaking etc...but its been all cool. Though i did succumb to peer pressure and start debating at uni last semester :p Considering half my law class doesn't talk at all, its hardly necessary though, so don't worry! :p

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
edit: as for debating...far be it from what ally mcbeal may suggest, we dont spend law class standing up and abusing one another verbally.
what?

You USYD folk are a meek bunch. :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehehe you go da monstar! :p

We did in Legal I! I got into an argument with a really good friend of mine...and for some bizarre reason all these people in *other* classes knew about it and were discussing it...:confused:

Oh well...better to be talked about than to not be talked about right? ;)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
We have a very intimate and boisterous torts class. :D Unfortunately, they're not all like that... no-one talks in contracts. :(

timmii

sporadic attendee
Well contracts is such a compelling subject, how can u be anything but exuberant in it? :p

haha yeah asq - class participation saved me last semester. It got to a stage though where if there was a lull in discussion my corner would just look at me and go "do something"...:rolleyes: Such hypocrites though, they urge me to talk and then tease me for talking too much...their catchphrase? "shutup [timmii]" :rolleyes: :p

Inferno

1. What qualities do u need to do well (or cope with) in LAW.

The popular belief is that uni courses are divided into Science or Humanities ("numbers" and "words"). I would say law is both. You don't need to be good in English, as in the high school type of English, to do it. As long as you can understand English, you'll do fine (I did 2 Unit General Eng back in school).

Law is about logic and reasoning. If you're the type of person who constantly questions things, and wants to know what makes things tick, and likes to apply their knowledge to real world problems, then Law's suitable.

2.What's the main subject that Law relies on from high school..english , legal studies..debating.???

You don't need to be a good speaker to do law. The only requirement for law is a logical, applied mindset. That's why you get people doing Arts/Law, Science/Law, Commerce/Law, Engineering/Law, the whole gammut.

3. What are the main form of assessments in Law?...essays?..presentations.?..

The primary forms of assessment, apart from exams are problem essays and research essays. There will be the occasional presentation. Group work crops up from time to time. I think you only have to do a case note once, in Foundations of Law.

4. Also does the uni u graduate from make that much of a difference? Since sydney and unsw seem quite difficult to get into.

The UAI of the course reflects demand. Usyd and UNSW are the most highly regarded in this state. I would prefer UNSW due to the classroom-mode of teaching, which is so much better than large lecture halls.

Asquithian: Contracts has hardly any debate (like for say, Torts). It's pretty much a black-letter subject - this is the law, this is how you apply it, here's a problem, what do you think? Most of the classroom discussion seems to be "what did this judge say about this issue? what was his/her reasoning?"

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i want to do law so badly i think i might get a postmodern tattoo that says *law* in a funky mannner...and then i will show it to the dean....

i might even design a tshirt that says *law viva forever*,

and then i will tell him how i have read almost every issue of poetic justice........and my hearts pounds faster everytime i see a picture of Leon Trakman... and how everytime i read his report on page 2 i just feel lyk rining him up and offer him my serve free of charge..... and i also feel lyk tellin him i am willing to make coffee for him/tidying up his office/shred his paper/or do wotever other job he fancies.....

L - A - W F - O - R - E - V - E - R

so yeah law is MORE than okay... its the sex..

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i want to do law so badly i think i might get a postmodern tattoo that says *law* in a funky mannner...and then i will show it to the dean....
errr, Ronny (the dean of USYD Law) is blind i think... so yeah, no tattoo showing...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)