Is Larceny an indictable matter or summary? (1 Viewer)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
Is Larceny an indictable matter or summary?

I thought it would be summary because the case doesn't involve any violence or threat of violence to a person. But the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) in Section 117 states:

"Whosoever commits larceny, or any indictable offence by this Act made punishable like larceny, shall, except in the cases hereinafter otherwise provided for, be liable to imprisonment for five years. "

The case is about a 23yrold man been found with $15 000 worth of electrical and white goods in a truck. Its obvious he did it-prints are all over the truck, the stolen goods and the factory(where the goods were stolen from). And in the person's wallet the police find a note from a well-known Melbourne criminal stating that he'd pay the guy $10 000 for the stolen goods.

So can anyone help me? Is it summary or indictable?

sly fly

HSC
depends on how much the person steals.....like if they stole some shoes it would be summary but if they stole $100000 from a bank it would be indictable

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
I have since found out that since he stole $15 000 worth of goods - it's an indictable offence.

I have read page 105 from The Law Handbook (8th edition) and apparently it can be heard summarily IF both the prosecution and defence agree - which means it will be heard in the local court.

Now if either side don't agree then it will be heard in the district court.

Should I put both arguments in my response if the question states:

Which court will the case be heard in?

The stimulus material states nothing about the trial so I don't know whether they agree for the case to be heard summarily or not.

still waiting

HSC
id say just in the district court because it depends on the amount of goods stolen and your case doesnt actually state where so i think u should prob assume in the district but just to be on the safe side put both

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)