Is Kurt Mathematics Centre good? (1 Viewer)

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
To be fair, we did pretty well in Advanced English this year, an improvement of 80-100% in the number of Band 6 students from the other years.

Too many people from our school shits on our school without actually looking at the statistics.
True, but our school way of doing things is pretty retarded ie "compulsory athletics carnival and cross country", no student number etc

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You know when Kurt gives you those holiday detentions, does he make you do homework, study, past papers or does he make you sit there and bore yourself to death. Does he let you study other subjects like English, Physics, Chemistry etc?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Just out of curiosity does Kurt get any state rankers?

trecex1

HSC
I know people who go there, he doesn't release his students' marks. If you want state rankers Dr Du 3u 4u has pretty much all of them, many ruse students who can't get into Du A class go to Kurt

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I know people who go there, he doesn't release his students' marks. If you want state rankers Dr Du 3u 4u has pretty much all of them, many ruse students who can't get into Du A class go to Kurt
Yeah I think it's coz Kurt is a tutoring place which doesn't advertise (i.e. has a policy against advertising). Yeah true Dr Du has all these state rankers (at least half of them are his) but his teaching is more towards the higher achievers rather than the lower achievers. Kurt is more for the lower achievers because his superior teaching is what makes his students improve. Just wondering but a lot of ruse kids don't live in Hurstville (apparently) and they go so far for Dr Du tutoring. WTF. Why waste so much time and effort for a "good" tutor when there are "other other" good tutors (and cheaper) and closer to where they live. Dr Du should be more for the Sydney Grammar students since they've got harder exams than ruse

chyc

HSC
OK I go to Kurt and have been since year 7. Here's a few things you need to know pronto before going to Kurt:

1. Kurt has his own tests, which are by far, much more difficult than any school exam and if you get over 20 (out of 50), that is considered pretty good.
2. If you don't do well (in school tests, Kurt tests or otherwise), you WILL get detention.
3. If you can't handle forced detention, don't go.

You might want to have a clearer idea about what detention is before you go.

To put it simply, you are to sit in a silent room with other students and do math for any amount of time between 3 hours to 6.
You aren't supposed to eat or drink anything besides water (most kids usually eat, it's not exactly a strict rule).
Don't even bother trying to do your homework. Just do what he tells you to do, unless you want to get shanked.

Holiday Detention:
Basically detention, but in your school holidays. It can range from once a week to every single day for 5 hours straight, depending on how regularly you stuff up.
Sometimes you will have detention every week until you improve on the next test.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
So is Kurt bloody Asian?? From imposing detention (how does he get away with this??), he seems one. Get a Polish maths tutor, if you don't want detention.

Shuuya

HSC
So is Kurt bloody Asian?? From imposing detention (how does he get away with this??), he seems one. Get a Polish maths tutor, if you don't want detention.
Yep, Kurt is Asian.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
huh I thought you were Asian
interesting

From what I've read on here he reminds me of those authoritarian 'my way or the high way' sport coaches. It really really works with some people, and really really doesn't with others. For most people though, I think it works fairly decently.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
OK I go to Kurt and have been since year 7. Here's a few things you need to know pronto before going to Kurt:

1. Kurt has his own tests, which are by far, much more difficult than any school exam and if you get over 20 (out of 50), that is considered pretty good.
2. If you don't do well (in school tests, Kurt tests or otherwise), you WILL get detention.
3. If you can't handle forced detention, don't go.

You might want to have a clearer idea about what detention is before you go.

To put it simply, you are to sit in a silent room with other students and do math for any amount of time between 3 hours to 6.
You aren't supposed to eat or drink anything besides water (most kids usually eat, it's not exactly a strict rule).
Don't even bother trying to do your homework. Just do what he tells you to do, unless you want to get shanked.

Holiday Detention:
Basically detention, but in your school holidays. It can range from once a week to every single day for 5 hours straight, depending on how regularly you stuff up.
Sometimes you will have detention every week until you improve on the next test.
How long are Kurt's "normal detentions"?

Also is this guy scary?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Was told Kurt was Taiwanese. I've never met a tutor who takes a students learning as seriously as he does (I mean there are other tutors who take your learning seriously but he takes to to a much further extent)

Shuuya

HSC
How long are Kurt's "normal detentions"?

Also is this guy scary?
What do you think? :p

From what I've heard from my friends, one of the main reasons why they're scared of getting 'low' marks (i.e. lower than 90%) is because Kurt will give them detention.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

From what I've heard from my friends, one of the main reasons why they're scared of getting 'low' marks (i.e. lower than 90%) is because Kurt will give them detention.
I mean he's scary in that sense but in class, is he the "joke teller"?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

At least he makes his students study and gives you a detention for your benefit (if you get what I mean).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

tbh this sounds so stupid to me lol
not so much the giving the detentions to motivate people, but that these people need to pay someone else to motivate them :/

i feel like this kurt know what he's doing - he understands that the hallmark of a successful tutoring place is not as much quality teaching than it is quality motivation.
the onus will always remain on the student - an unmotivated student will never learn much no matter how good of a teacher someone is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)