Is it wrong? (1 Viewer)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
what's wrong with it?
at the end you can branch out into a few things, namely psychology... or add a post grad qualification or diploma and branch out even further, into social work, social welfare, counselling, etc etc.

lol not doing a very good job of talking you out of it...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
what is wrong with psychology!!! i want to do psychology as well!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
really good read.
I would love to do psych and philosophy!
I'm doing economic and social sciences and am specifically transferring to a degree which gives me an extra year so that I can attempt those subjects.
Does that degree at macq also allow you to do marketing? As that would be a really good supplement and it will guarantee you a job.

EDIT: hahah just saw that article bagging out marketing. I don't see why its such a bad subject. It's very creative. Works on your communication. etc etc

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
"An extraordinary number also turned out to love the law. On reflection, it is understandable so many have opted to... memorise rules"
if the author had any idea about a law degree, or the legal profession, then she would know that a law career is not about memorising rules. :rolleyes:

damn stereotypes
and lawyers lose work to legal websites
as if. that's kind of saying you can get proper qualified medical advice and heal thyself from browsing the net :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Isn't that how they make the OC scripts? ;)
No, just people using copy + paste with scripts of old tv shows.

As for the topic, I'm doing a course that I like and will ensure I have a future. If I were already rich and was doing university for something to kill some time, I would love to do that course. Both psychology and philosophy are areas which I have a passion in.

As for the article, I thought it was a bit prentious for the writer to insinuate that people who do law or accounting are not passionate about their work. It's also funny that arcording to the article, if you do an "impassionate" course you will be rich, but if you do a "passionate" course you will be poor.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
As for the article, I thought it was a bit prentious for the writer to insinuate that people who do law or accounting are not passionate about their work. It's also funny that arcording to the article, if you do an "impassionate" course you will be rich, but if you do a "passionate" course you will be poor.
i must spread some more reputation before i can shower jumb with kudos agin :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
Convince me why doing this would be bad.

In terms of lack of career paths, etc etc.

Hopefully the collective BoS masses will be able to counter my sudden love for it.
There is nothing wrong with those, and you may find that you wish to branch out at Macquarie (which has a pretty lenient transfer system)

Go for it, enjoyed every moment of my year as a B Arts student, and i know a few people also doing the same.

Generator

HSC
N/A
jumb said:
I thought that the writer was quite clear in suggesting that there are many who ignore their passions in favour of a vocational or status symbol degree on the understanding that a liberal arts education is 'worthless' in the workforce. In other words (I would hate to think that this paragraph suggests something else), it was merely challenging the prevailing point of view that derides a liberal arts education as lacking in an employment sense.

As for disparaging certain degree/career decisions, I thought that that was rather light and only used to illustrate a point, but that's just me.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i think the author didnt try to convey the idea that all commerce/law/dent graduates are in there because the course is more 'pragmatic' in terms of career options...rather that the numbers are disproportionately high. So while I agree that she fails to acknowledge those who truly do have a passion in those areas, the sad truth is that universities are becoming oriented towards pursuit of the dominant capitalist hegemony. You will find this is reflected in the lesser proportion of undergraduate students going onto the field of research once they graduate, as it's not a secret that it doesn't pay too well.

I found this was the case in my faculty (Medicine) as well. People are just interested in the money, and though they deny it you can see it in the way they live their lives. I think one cannot truly be passionate about Medicine, Law, Actuarial studies, Commerce, Dentistry, Pharmacy etc. simultaenously and if people put those courses only on their UAC preferences what does it say about their motivations?

X

xeuyrawp

Arvin Sloane said:
Convince me why doing this would be bad.

In terms of lack of career paths, etc etc.

Hopefully the collective BoS masses will be able to counter my sudden love for it.
I can't block people anymore :(, but at least your thread is serious.

I love doing Phil, despite it annoying the hell out of me, it's a fantastic subject.

With job prospects, etc, unless you know what you want to do in the future, there's no real point doing something at uni for it. Doing any cool subjects like Phil or Psych set you up for jobs that you would have never guessed, like diplomacy, journalism etc. Like I said, if you don't know what you want to do, you may as well do something that you'll like at uni:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
So you ignored the actual message that the article sought to impress upon us all just because someone sought to lightly denigrate your chosen path in illustrating a point that appears to have escaped your 'keen' legal mind?
of course. :uhhuh:

remember, according to the inferences made by the author, i am but a sheep. i choose to "ignore" my "passions" and follow the high-UAI, number-crunching, rule-memorising way. :rolleyes:

in reality, i think people can be just as passionate about commerce and law as they are about arts. to promote liberal degrees, there is no need to denigrate other courses.

i may agree with her purpose (to tell people to do what they are passionate about), but i strongly disagree with her argument.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

remember, according to the inferences made by the author, i am but a sheep. i choose to "ignore" my "passions" and follow the high-UAI, number-crunching, rule-memorising way. :rolleyes:

in reality, i think people can be just as passionate about commerce and law as they are about arts. to promote liberal degrees, there is no need to denigrate other courses.

i may agree with her purpose (to tell people to do what they are passionate about), but i strongly disagree with her argument.
Bloody hell, you just missed my edit. I went overboard with what should have been a simple rebuttal (of a sort), so I changed it ever so slightly.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Frigid said:

Bloody hell, read what generator is saying. Stop being so disillusioned. That's not at all what the author said. The writer never called you a sheep. She never said that anyone who does law or accounting follows the flock.
What she is simply saying is: in younger years, a lot of people want to do arts-based subjects. Philosophy, psychology, theatre, english, sociology etc etc.
However, when it comes to the HSC all of a sudden a lot of people forget their aspirations; wanting to feel more comfortable in the fact that they have a career at the end of the rainbow.
Sure, there are people who enjoy accounting. There are many who enjoy maths. (Hell, i really enjoy marketing). However, there are a lot who only half-heartedly attempt the courses because they see themselves landing a job if they push on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)