Is it true that... (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I live on the lower North Shore and I don't have a problem with the western suburbs - my best friend lives there and I've actually visited her a lot at her house. Please don't make assumptions based on a few dickheads. I once encountered a couple of boys from selective schools who were less than friendly so it's not just the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs.
O HAI THERE! Dickheads are everywhere.
Most of my friends live in the west (unfortunately), because that's where most of the people who go to my school live. Makes it a bitch to get together.

CCMc

HSC
I went to a wealthy private school in regional NSW. While this may be different to Uni I can say I experienced both snobbery and reverse snobbery. The reverse snobbery I and others at my school complained of experiencing was based on our school being the only wealthy private school in the area. No one wanted anything to do with you if you went to that school (a few exceptions existed of course). There were often incidents of students at my school getting bullied by kids from other schools on the bus. The snobbery was mostly within the Independent Sporting Association. We were looked down upon by the Sydney private school because we were from outside Sydney. Pardon the English reference but our school didn't belong anywhere! Hope it's better at UNSW. I really don't want to be seen as a snob for going to a Private School or looked down on by the East Enders/North Shorers because I'm from regional NSW :(

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
uni students from the affluent areas such as the north and the east look down on those who come from the west, i.e the inner west and south west of Sydney?

I was curious, because all my friends who are currently in uni say that they do and the majority are snobs and you just learn to adapt to their condescending nature. Is this true? I'm sure there are exceptions, but word of mouth says that a lot of students judge you according to which region you reside in.

I don't really mind, I just find this quite interesting because I am from the west and my closest friends are as well. A lot of them are doing Pharmacy at USYD, Comm/Law at UNSW, Med Sci etc etc and I was wondering if we would fair to those affluent students from wealthier regions.

Just curious and no disrespect to those are from affluent regions.

Cheers
it's not the fact that they are snobby, it's the fact that they've been in the habit of generalising Western Sydney dwellers. That "oh" factor is not a decided "I hate you now", but a surprise. If you're an articulate and sociable person who doesn't wear Henleys, Canterbury, and TN's with a bumbag across your chest, then they're experiencing shock. You shouldn't take it as a permanent or negative characteristic of their personality.

My first year of uni was last year and I met a lot of private, selective and "affluent" people. Many of them took 15 minutes to get to UNSW when I took 2 hours. I was often mistaken for a second year student or older and rarely ever was I considered a westie, which is where that shock came from.
I have a classmate who signed on my autograph book: "Remember the important thing is not who you know but what you know". He is a multi-millionaire now (hundreds of millions if not billions) because of his extra-good political connections.
yeah I doubt it

It is also important to not develop a hatred for the rich because that's really retarded. Be friends with everyone (*everyone*) and you will find that some day you might have a job that is better than everyone else's because of it

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My first year of uni was last year and I met a lot of private, selective and "affluent" people. Many of them took 15 minutes to get to UNSW when I took 2 hours. I was often mistaken for a second year student or older and rarely ever was I considered a westie, which is where that shock came from.
yeah, i fell into that trap :(

acemusic415

HSC
I live on the lower North Shore and I don't have a problem with the western suburbs - my best friend lives there and I've actually visited her a lot at her house. Please don't make assumptions based on a few dickheads. I once encountered a couple of boys from selective schools who were less than friendly so it's not just the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs.
I wasn't assuming anything nor did I think it was true. I was just asking, because all these people are telling me and I just wanted clarification from the BOS community. Having said that, I have met extremely down to earth people from North Shore - I was just curious regarding this matter that I heard from word of mouth. That's all. Sorry if you felt insulted.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
i hail from an affluent town known by its abundance of banks.

bankstown.

Last edited:

Ryan_T90

HSC
If an individual is to live in a region surrounded by violence, terror, fear...how will that influence the individual? The individual may either become like the violent people in his region..... or mentally break.
I am from Mount Druitt, yep, that's right. I know for a fact everyone will judge it as a bad place, actually, they won't judge it as a bad place because really, it is a bad place. Because of that, I probably get judged. However, I think it is rather interesting that you state that if one is to live in a region surrounded by violence and terror (which for me it is when I go to Mount Druitt shops) then us as individuals will also turn to violence when in truth, that statement is so wrong. As an example, me. Never have I turned to violence, for one I don't find violence is the option to resolve problems and secondly, education is a hell lot more important to me than turning to violence. If anything, seeing violence (which might I add, I don't see a lot compared to what people may think) makes me want to push harder in school to remove this oblivious stigma you have just placed. I'll tell you what, I am not the only one from around Mount Druitt or the Western Sydney suburbs in general who shares the same opinion as me when it comes to this issue.

Just wait until you tell them you're from like Penrith or something and see how fast they run!

(nah, i'm just kidding)
oh fu....

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I am from Mount Druitt, yep, that's right. I know for a fact everyone will judge it as a bad place, actually, they won't judge it as a bad place because really, it is a bad place. Because of that, I probably get judged. However, I think it is rather interesting that you state that if one is to live in a region surrounded by violence and terror (which for me it is when I go to Mount Druitt shops) then us as individuals will also turn to violence when in truth, that statement is so wrong. As an example, me. Never have I turned to violence, for one I don't find violence is the option to resolve problems and secondly, education is a hell lot more important to me than turning to violence. If anything, seeing violence (which might I add, I don't see a lot compared to what people may think) makes me want to push harder in school to remove this oblivious stigma you have just placed. I'll tell you what, I am not the only one from around Mount Druitt or the Western Sydney suburbs in general who shares the same opinion as me when it comes to this issue.

oh fu....
I am from St Clair brah wanna meet up at mounty starbucks and hit up da billies or wot

lolsmith wat do u do at uni
software engo brah

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
also mount druitt isn't even that bad dude lol there are plenty of scum cunts sure but it's not the eastern front

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)