Is it true that you can ONLY get 80 in GENERAL MATHS?! :O (1 Viewer)

lindataylor

HSC
i dropped down to general cos 2 unit maths was sooo hard. then once i had dropped someone told me that general didn't do so well and that you can only get a maximum of 80 for your hsc?! i really hope this isn't true. does anyone know if it is capped or scaled? is it possible to get 100 in general?!
- Linda

havetolearn

HSC
i believe that you can only get scaled down if your mark is only an average mark where as the scaling wont effect you to a high degree if you achieve a higher mark. Therefore doing well in general maths should mean you can gain 100. this also depends on the standard of the work of the people at your school i have the understanding that your standard may also be scaled based on their performance im not sure about that one tho... hope that helps

lindataylor

HSC
thanx for the help guys!
i feel better now, although id still better go study for maths!
good luck to everyone

PC

HSC
N/A
Can't get 80? That's crap ... as many have already said. One of my students a few years ago got 97 in General Maths and got the Premier's Award for Band 6 in all her courses.

Dumbing down is certainly possible. Have a look at the original 2001 paper or the 2002 paper. I think they were pretty meaty. Compare them to the 2004 paper especially - VERY straightforward.

Politik ... thank goodness someone else in the state realises what I've been trying to say. That UAC (which used to be UCAC) are basically doing the same thing they've been doing since 1986 - using some sort of complicated formula to generate an aggregate score, UAI, TER, whatever you want to call it. Up to and including 1985 the HSC was awarded as an aggregate score out of 500 - you're best 10 units, and English had to be counted. That was fine for UCAC (or UAC) but then the board of studies went to individual subject marks in 1986 and UCAC felt they still need to have an aggregate to admit students into Uni or College. The buggers are still doing it, and I reckon they need to move into the 21st century. 1986 - that was even before HECS came in, when University education was free! (Well, very cheap)

Of course, if you're doing the HSC this year then I would suggest that you DON'T look at actual HSC papers until about 4-5 weeks before, so you've at least got some exam papers that you haven't already seen. There's no point doing the same papers over and over again. Save last year's paper to the night before and do it yourself under exam conditions, then check it yourself. By then you should be completely on your game and you'll have a pretty good idea of how you'll go.

Hope this helps!

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
wow interesting;;
i hear all these HSC myths everywhere ; i know that u can't get ful marks in general maths but close enough

HSC
you CAN get those marks written on your HSC no problem. but when calculating uai general maths is capped to 88 by UAC not BOS

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Obviously if you get above 95 for general maths, u should really be doing 2 unit

i also thought it was impossible to get 100 in general maths ???

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It's possible... you would probably have to get 100% in all your assessments and exams or close to that.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I heard general can't get over 80% too. And 60% is the pass mark...

DivJx

HSC
N/A
People don't realise that yes you can get 90+ in general in your HSC BUT when you receive your UAI you will not get the same as if someone who lets say is doing the except same subjects as you (except does 2 Unit Maths) and scores exactly the same mark in all subjects as you. They will have a higher UAI than you due to the scaling factor. Yes they all said they no longer scale a few years back and that all subjects are equal (well its BS to be frank). The fact is if you want to do get into anything decent at uni and are counting mathematics as part of your UAI you will need to get 80+ in general atleast, and even then I would say high 80's. Case in point just look at those doing Extension II (4 unit) many students just pass their exam (50%) but end up getting 90's as their mark..
General/Mathematics/Extension I/Extension II are not all equal its a simple fact.

Edit: BTW DR_DOOM: to get your goal of 90+ you will have to work your butt of in those subjects and go really well (and I mean really well) in those courses.

Last edited:

Vicsta

HSC
nah its not so true bout the 80mark, but i was talkin with my maths cord- an he said bout if u get 89/100 which is a "band 5" they'l now take u up to a band 6 with a mark of 90....

xxlambchopxx

HSC
my maths teacher told me that he was expecting a band 6 from me, proving that it is possible.
you'd have to get pretty high though

ane_st

HSC
sando said:
Obviously if you get above 95 for general maths, u should really be doing 2 unit
Not really because the courses are extremely diff

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)