• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it true it's best to go to uni in the city your parents live in? (1 Viewer)

What uni would be better?

• Hometown uni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a sydney uni

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bec_peace

HSC
I watched a program last night which said if you go to a uni not in your hometown, the drop out rate is 10% higher than if you went to your hometown uni...it was on the abc so I believe it.

If your hometown uni is offering the same bachelor degree as a less prestigious uni and you were able to get free boardand food & stay with your family and friends, is it better to go there than go to a uni like USYD or UNSW where you'd be all alone and wouln't know your way around (more prestigious and the degree sounds better + more to do in Syd)

Sorry if this is confusing...;)

BlackDragon

HSC
This is all personal. If you feel you'd like the space from your parents and to live in a new place then go to a different uni. More importantly, if you like the universities in sydney more than that of your home town then it is you should go there. Its always good to have new experiences and live in a new place, its completely up but you. You shouldn't base your decision on some statistic about dropping out, but what you think is best. Also, you shouldn't worry about prestige too much.

HSC
I watched a program last night which said if you go to a uni not in your hometown, the drop out rate is 10% higher than if you went to your hometown uni...it was on the abc so I believe it.

If your hometown uni is offering the same bachelor degree as a less prestigious uni and you were able to get free boardand food & stay with your family and friends, is it better to go there than go to a uni like USYD or UNSW where you'd be all alone and wouln't know your way around (more prestigious and the degree sounds better + more to do in Syd)

Sorry if this is confusing...;)
seems to me like this is a pretty subjective question. some people are prepared to spend a few hours travelling every day, others would much prefer to have the free time instead so go to their local uni. no one here knows your situation better than you, so no one is better able to make that decision than you.

EDIT: haha BlackDragon got in before me, basically what he said.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
In terms of drop out rate..it does'nt matter which university you go to because what matters more is someones ability to do the course they choose and how good they are at it so they wont drop out after a year or so.

Also you dont have to live in the city to go to a popular uni, you just wake up earlier as usual or buy a car/motorbike or something to travel there in time..then the so called "Boarding/rent..free food..living with your parents/friends" is still there with you.

Also you can make new friends over there as well and why do you need to know your way around anyways? You go there to learn and finish your degree mainly..its higher learning overall

LordPc

HSC
you should be very skeptical about brief statistics like that.

for example, if the dropout rate at your hometown uni is 1%, then according to your statistic, the dropout rate at another uni would be 1.1%.

now that is hardly significant
perhaps you have heard the saying "there are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics" ???

arjungamer123

HSC
I'd rather be away from home, since my parents are making me pay board and lodging lol.

BlackDragon

HSC
Why do people always say "Dont worry about prestige or lucrativeness"? lol
Because the quality of the applicant will surpass the name of a university every single time. If you are truly a strong applicant then the employer won't care where you are from. You should go to the university for the quality of education it provides and nothing more. People who think otherwise are naive. Lucrativeness has nothing to do with it, except for the fact that the more prestigous universities make alot more money.

lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)