Is it too late to change schools? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry for all the posts but I've had a lot on my mind at 2.30am!

anyways :) I've been thinking of moving schools but not sure if im too late. The things I dislike about my school are:

- they have 220 kids but only ~45 of them are doing advance (including myself) so that drags the cohort down
- their faculties are dirty and never discuss about dropping their students but instead hands them a timetable and makes the student figure out that they've been moved.
- some of the teachers are cocky, hard headed and just down right rude
- my cohort isn't what you would call pleasant...

not sure where to move at this point but Im not sure if I should stay :( again, sorry for the many many threads....

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1. The Standard English students won't affect the pool of marks for the Advanced English students. I.e. your mark in Advanced English won't get dragged down by the other 180~ students.
2. I guess you can't do much about undesirable teachers and peers.

I would think that it's pretty hard to move schools in Year 11 and onwards (plus this is like out of nowhere). Plus, you'll need to quickly adjust to a new school.

But I guess you JUST started Year 11.

Have you discussed this with your parents?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are thinking of moving to another school, I would advise you to try to sort this out ASAP-the later you move school, the more you will disadvantage yourself in having less time to adapt for the demands of HSC studies. When you say your cohort is not exactly 'pleasant' can you elaborate a bit more on what exactly do you mean by that?

Just remember that if you are ranked near the top, your cohort performance will have less of an influence on your final HSC marks. Is there at least one English teacher in your school who is willing to help students and is dedicated? Sometimes seeking another teacher's help would be good if you find your classroom teacher not particularly helpful. Best wishes for this year-hope you will resolve your dilemma very soon:)

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
As long as you are ranked 1 internally. Your cohort will have absolutely no effect upon your ATAR.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
1. The Standard English students won't affect the pool of marks for the Advanced English students. I.e. your mark in Advanced English won't get dragged down by the other 180~ students.
2. I guess you can't do much about undesirable teachers and peers.

I would think that it's pretty hard to move schools in Year 11 and onwards (plus this is like out of nowhere). Plus, you'll need to quickly adjust to a new school.

But I guess you JUST started Year 11.

Have you discussed this with your parents?
But its just unbelievable how my cohort has 220 students and only 40 are doing advance, and this is a school ranked in the 130s... Yes, they're not happy about it. Though I've explained it to them and they said if I wanted to move, I could. Trouble is... to where?

If you are thinking of moving to another school, I would advise you to try to sort this out ASAP-the later you move school, the more you will disadvantage yourself in having less time to adapt for the demands of HSC studies. When you say your cohort is not exactly 'pleasant' can you elaborate a bit more on what exactly do you mean by that?

Just remember that if you are ranked near the top, your cohort performance will have less of an influence on your final HSC marks. Is there at least one English teacher in your school who is willing to help students and is dedicated? Sometimes seeking another teacher's help would be good if you find your classroom teacher not particularly helpful. Best wishes for this year-hope you will resolve your dilemma very soon:)
Majority of my cohort are umm... how do I put this eloquently... assholes. As a grade, we're so distance from one another, that's why I don't feel bad if I moved. My teachers are awful, they just set tasks without teaching us how to go around doing them.
As long as you are ranked 1 internally. Your cohort will have absolutely no effect upon your ATAR.
I know plenty of people who are smarter than me, who'd probably top my units but the thing was that they weren't consistent in their exams, therefore wasn't allowed in the class.. unfair.

i think you could do the 4u course at tafe and then sit the 4u hsc exam
I think you might be referring to my previous thread?
I believe, that's not what OP was asking
It was not :)

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey what school do you go to? Or around what school rank is it upto? Because if you want 97+ ATAR with a school rank of 200-. You really need to be in that top 1-2 spots for every subject.

kitt

HSC
If you are a good student then you should do well wherever you go. Don't worry about the cohort being dragged down; what you need to focus on is your performance, making certain you are doing the best possible work you can.

Sure, at any school you'll find narky teachers and irritating students. It's inevitable everywhere you go. Find a group of people (or just one person) of whom you enjoy their company and that's all you need to maintain your moral. Then find someone who you really need to beat and form a competitive relationship with them. If you feel teachers are marking you wrongly, then have essays or tests looked over by other teachers in your school. This is also helpful in gaining several opinions about your work.

Don't make rash decisions based on trivial subjectivism. We have no more than 18-19 months of having to deal with the teachers and people at the school we attend. After that its all over. (yay!)

Also keep in mind the hassle of having a school change. Not only are you 'fresh meat' again, but you have a huge transition into the new school and the people and teachers and classes, which isn't fun. And what if you don't like the school you change to?

It's probably not too late... But I would at least think twice about it.

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)