Is it possible to transfer from med science uws to usyd/unsw/uts?? (1 Viewer)

LolaBell

HSC
I was thinking of accepting my early offer at uws but just read a post that u can't transfer from med science uws to these other unis?? Is this true? Or has anyone on here done so

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's very difficult to do so since all of the courses are very structured and all the unis do different first year subjects and stuff. So if you want to transfer I would suggest BSc(Adv) at UWS and then looking at USyd or UNSW MedSc first year outline and basing your units around which one you would like to transfer to more.

I have an outline of both degrees in a table on the site here somewhere but I cbf finding it now.
All the info you need is on the uni websites.

Dylanamali

HSC
I was thinking of accepting my early offer at uws but just read a post that u can't transfer from med science uws to these other unis?? Is this true? Or has anyone on here done so
It's definitely possible and I'd say it's rather achievable..
Achieve a high GPA e.g. 6.0+ and you should be in with a good chance.

The thing is - and I think it's what Riproot is referring to - it's rather unlikely that you'll get credited for the units you've studied at UWS. That is, you may have to start from first year again. I'm sure you'll get at least 1 unit credited e.g. Chemistry, but not sure about the others.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Applies to many courses from UWS - the course structure there is so different. Eg. at Sydney and UTS, accounting is split into two different units; same with economics. At Sydney we have two fundamental chemistry units etc. I think you should make the most of the UWS Medical Science degree ~ UWS is not that bad. If you don't enjoy it then you will be motivated to try your hardest to transfer. Good Luck and All the Best. :D

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's definitely possible and I'd say it's rather achievable..
Achieve a high GPA e.g. 6.0+ and you should be in with a good chance.

The thing is - and I think it's what Riproot is referring to - it's rather unlikely that you'll get credited for the units you've studied at UWS. That is, you may have to start from first year again. I'm sure you'll get at least 1 unit credited e.g. Chemistry, but not sure about the others.
You need a WAM of at least 75 for USyd.

And yeah, that is what I mean.

USyd has a second year entry for people that have done similar units to the first year layout.

So I would suggest:
2 x chemistry
2 x maths (for everywhere except USyd)
2 x physics or psych (or one of each)
1 x basic biology or human bio or anatomy
1 x genetics and molecular bio (this would be the hardest one to get credited for because most unis split the two into two separate subjects but USyd puts them into one for first year)

LolaBell

HSC
The reason why I wasn't thinking of staying there is because like most people that study med science, I wanted to (by the end) apply for medical school and I would rather get med degree from usyd or unsw than uws...

Dylanamali

HSC
The reason why I wasn't thinking of staying there is because like most people that study med science, I wanted to (by the end) apply for medical school and I would rather get med degree from usyd or unsw than uws...
If your doing Med Sci as just a means to do postgraduate medicine.. I would recommend staying at UWS.

It's easier to obtain a higher GPA at UWS then at USYD or UNSW.. and in the end entry into postgraduate medical schools is based on GPA+GAMSAT+Interview. Postgraduate medical schools don't consider where you did your undergraduate course, only your performance in that course.

Furthermore you really shouldn't have an attitude of "I would rather get med degree from usyd or unsw than uws..."
USYD is a postgraduate medical school.
UNSW and UWS are undergraduate medical schools.
They each have different requirements.. and if you are considering UWS med science - and not Adv Med Sci.. then I'm assuming that your ATAR is <90. If so, UNSW is immediately an impossible medical school to obtain, as you must have a minimum ATAR of 96 or 92 (if you obtain a 7.0 GPA).

At the end of the day, Medicine is Medicine.. and UWS Medicine is a very well-recognised degree.

Qui Gon Jinn

HSC
This may be a bit off topic but to transfer from Med Sci @ UTS to Med Sci @ USyd, do you need to maintain at least a credit average?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah... That's fucked.
Just get the best GPA possible and the best GAMSAT possible.
GPA is probs going to be easier to get higher at UWS so stay there, duh.

This may be a bit off topic but to transfer from Med Sci @ UTS to Med Sci @ USyd, do you need to maintain at least a credit average?
75+ WAM to get admitted into MedSc second year, but you can probs just get credited for the first year prereq units and then enrol in second year units, but you need to have done the correct units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)